South Mountain on Memorial Weekend
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: South Mountain on Memorial Weekend

South Mountain on Memorial Weekend

Wife and I finally got out on our first camp trip of the year. Last year we camped twice in March. Oh well, better late than never.

On this trip, we headed out to the South Mtn. range in southwest Idaho. I've never ridden here, or been to the lookout before, though I did drive my pickup around it 18 years ago. I don't remember much from that visit.

Day 1- South Mtn. Lookout and trails

North of Camp Admiral was done on the 1st day, and the southern portion the next day.

Georgie always ready to go. ...and she was wishful thinking. She rode on the back of the ATV on this trip

View of the South Mtn range

Is everthing named South Mtn.?

Gotta travel through the Thunder Mtn mine company on the way

But first we stopped for a geocache and sleep (wife)

Mine worker subdivision housing

Chief's quarters

Mine office...where all the paperwork is completed

More mine stuff

Old entrance (small) and new entrance (large)? This mine was closed long time ago and re-opened within the last few years

Day 1 to be continued
    Last edited by admiral; 05-28-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    B-dub, Fred, sp_cache and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Awesome Admiral! So jealous! Keep the pictures coming please. So, are people actually staying in those wood frame cabins??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

Quote Originally Posted by 50short View Post
    So, are people actually staying in those wood frame cabins??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kinda looked like they could, but not sure. Holiday weekend, so no one around. No workers campers either. Didn't seem like they started back mining yet, but getting stuff ready.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Day 1 Part 1/2 contiued

On side hill approach road looking south, (zoomed in) got my first glance of the lookout

Further north on the ridge we come to a road jct (looking north). South will take us to the lookout.

But first we gotta stop and checkout another geocache

Wife keeping her back to the wind at the cache. Actually, I think she hiding trying to txt on the cell phone. Didn't work, no service with our phones!

Getting closer (zoomed in)

We had to park here because of (note the 2 fellas who've joined us)

of this

We could have driven up a steep unauthorized/old route to the lookout, but didn't want to tear up the soft mountain side, so we hiked a short distance to the lookout

Great views. To the north, Delemar Mine in the Silver City, ID range

East (ish). Oh, and if you have to go to the bathroom in a hurry, better run! Outhouse is a ways from the lookout!

The Mountain Office

After checking out the lookout, we drove to a nearby hill looking back at South Mtn. lookout and had a little lunch break.
    I think all the squiggly lines are part of another mine, but we couldn't drive to it because of snow drifts on the roads

Two fellas story. While we were at the lookout, they departed. Looking west, we could see they were trying to get around the mountain. Later while
    we were eating, we saw them drive up to the lookout from the other side. It must have took them 45 minutes to get there. Took us 5 minutes to hike up.
    When they left they didn't see us sitting on the other hill and drove down the unauthorized/old route. Cheaters!

End of Day 1 Part 1/2
    Last edited by admiral; 05-28-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    B-dub, littletommy, Fred and 2 others like this.

Great pics/ride report! Always enjoy them..

Looks like fun, even with the snowdrifts! The first video shows the advantages of having a small trailbike. Great pics and videos, interesting mining and lookout stuff! Thanks for taking us along.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Admiral your posts always bring a smile and a chuckle. good stuff. Looks like you were first vehicle breaking trail on many a road. Impressive. Looks like Gem State still has functional fire lookouts ( Don't be a guberif ... firebug spelled backwards). Around here they seem all decommissioned these days. Years ago a kindly fire warden had me atop her tower for an hours visit which we both came away from the better. She got much appreciated human contact and I got to enjoy her gorgeous daily view from top of tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Admiral your posts always bring a smile and a chuckle. good stuff. Looks like you were first vehicle breaking trail on many a road. Impressive. Looks like Gem State still has functional fire lookouts ( Don't be a guberif ... firebug spelled backwards). Around here they seem all decommissioned these days. Years ago a kindly fire warden had me atop her tower for an hours visit which we both came away from the better. She got much appreciated human contact and I got to enjoy her gorgeous daily view from top of tower.
    Lots of lookouts here are still manned. One of the nicest lookouts I've met was last year at No Business Lookout near McCall, Id. Lots of other visitor's and the lookout took everyone on a tour. Another friendly fellow was at Carey Dome Lookout near Burgdorf/Warren, Id. Lookout even put me to work. LOL.
    Fred likes this.

Day 1 Part 2.

Off the mountain, we're now gonna finish the day by riding some old logging road trails.

Here on the main South Mtn./Indian Meadows road is the old ranch homestead building. The more modern ranch buildings are closer to the road. Love the old buildings I do.

See some Juniper tree's have been cut. I've been seeing a bunch of Juniper Tree's cut down all over. Juniper tree's are being cut down to help the rangeland and Sage Grouse habitat. Apparently, Juniper tree's can consume quit a bit of water per day depending on how tall the tree is. http://www.oawu.net/H2O/2008/Summer0...n.Hemenway.pdf

Surprised, wife and I find some of these BLM signs in the middle of the woods

I missed a turn/road somewhere? I will have to say though, the signs and the roads did not always seem to match. I thought I was on Mill Creek road attempting to find a different way to the lookout, but ended up on a different creek which dead ended. Or so it appeared. I should have been on Mill Creek according to the sign and what a map indicates. GPS said I was on Vulcan Creek, one creek over i.e. dead end. If the trails up top by the lookout weren't drifted in, we would have come down that way. As it turned out, we had a good time riding mostly dead end, but scenic trails.

End of Day 1
    Day 2 Upcoming
    Last edited by admiral; 05-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    littletommy and B-dub like this.

Love the video and the pics. Thanks for sharing, looks like a great time.
    '73 CT-90
    '14 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear rack, Jimbo shield, Gmax dual sport helmet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links