Rural Bridges and Cemeteries in Ohio
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rural Bridges and Cemeteries in Ohio

Rural Bridges and Cemeteries in Ohio

Finally getting some solid miles on the 2014 tw....a few days break as my High School umpiring rolls into Summer Wood Bats and American Legion Baseball...I got out and put about 50 miles riding the blacktop and 2 lanes around the Northern part of Mercer County{OH}...sadly most of the classic bridges such as this one I took a photo of 20 years ago are gone:

GallmanRoadBridge.jpg

They have been replace by generic types and cookie cutter designs....here is the same location/different bridge as I crossed it this morning:

tw and bridges 001.JPG

Some 1950s style bridges are still out there but the old ones are gone, except a few:

tw and bridges 006.JPG

The old Cemeteries are still around, but even some of those are sitting back in Corn Fields and hard to get to....this one opened in 1885 as a family plot: The cemetery itself can be seen well back past the corn rows:

tw and bridges 008.JPG

I was about to head south for some more bridges and better cemetery photos, when I noticed some heavy yellow and reds showing up on local Radar....might have to put that journey off until tomorrow when the Sun is expected to shine all day.
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 05-28-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    B-dub, Fred, Wingnut and 2 others like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Nice explorations Pat. I kinda like those old bridges too. That blue TW color really looks good now that finally some sun is shining on it.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

I love the old bridges. Old railroad bridges are a bonus. I also like finding the old pioneer cemeteries. More remote and hard to find the better.

New bridges, while marvels of engineering, are boring...mostly!

Cool stuff Hoot and Croatoan.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check out woodland cemetery here in Dayton. Its amazing! The Wright brothers are buried there too.

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

If yall like cemetaries, you need to go to the big island of hawaii, it is like the king of cemetary places. People came from all over the pacific and asia to cut sugar cane. When they died they were buried in ethnicity specific cemetaries. One for japanese, one for chinese, one for portugese, etc etc etc. The gravestones are spectacular and gorgeous, but a little neglected. Each ethnicity has a very specific style of tombstone. Its worth the price of a ticket. Also gorgeoous country to ride a TW throough. Lived there briefly years back. IMHO the best place on earth. Comparitively everywhere else in the world is a $#1thole. Curiously, it also has a lot of old and spectacular bridges.
    Fred and Hoot Gibson like this.

Back out today ...touring some of the south Grand Lake Area that I spent my High School years at....included are the Long Cemetery on Harrison Road south of the berg of Montezuma, Ohio...this place has stones dated as far back as the late 1700s, before Ohio became a state and long before Grand Lake was even hand dug back in the early 1800s:

The old farm house where we lived back in the 1980s on Coldwater Creek...our kids grew up here...sadly whoever owned it, 2 families post ours, tore down the barns and finally must have had it repossessed....out in the middle of nowhere, it was a great place to raise kids and Airedales for a decade....sad to see it in this condition.

Windy Point on the south side of Grand Lake....swam, drank beer, and chased girls, in my High School years....the Beach has been Restored, but with the Alga problems, not a lot of swimming going on here these days....

more TW 005.JPGmore TW 002.JPGmore TW 010.JPG

And finally Whiskey Run....after living in South Florida in the 1950s and early 60s...we moved to Montezuma, Ohio, and here is where I learned to Ice Skate back in the bitter winter of 1963-64

more TW 004.JPG

Just riding in the sunshine at 40-45mph on these back roads had those years of youth from 45-50 years ago coming rolling back to my mind...
    TW-Brian likes this.

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

Nice pictures and great history! Thanks for sharing.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    '73 CT-90
    '14 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear rack, Jimbo shield, Gmax dual sport helmet

Sometimes it is hard to revisit the places of our youth.

Happy Trails
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks for sharing!

I enjoy visiting old cemetaries, I find them interesting. Not too many bridges of interest here in CO, but I like looking at others photos of them.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

I enjoy visiting old cemetaries, I find them interesting. Not too many bridges of interest here in CO, but I like looking at others photos of them.
    Yep HH, the old bridges are few and far between, most having been replaced over the past 25 years...but I'm still searching for some old ones to photograph....the next phase will be to head to Fort Recovery on the Ohio/Indiana State Line where the Wabash River begins it's trip from Ohio through Indiana to the Ohio River....some 480 miles.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links