Dream Ride
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Dream Ride

Dream Ride

What is the best ride you have done, plan to do, or dream of doing? Something famous from your Bucket List ( Baja, Pikes Peak, etc) perhaps? Or maybe you've just been traveling somewhere and thought " This would be Most Exceedingly Excellent on my TW" , like volcanoes National Park in Hawaii, or a vacation discovered twisty road through fantastic scenery, or anytime you've been stuck in the back seat with slow Uncle Marvin and Aunt Millie arguing up front. Maybe it was that honeymoon many years ago.
    We wont know until you tell us a story.
    50short and BillPacific like this.

It seems that Fred has a story to tell. Hit it Freddy!!!

My best ride so far was the part of a day I spent at the NE Russ Rally. Got an early start on the road at 6:00am with the TW loaded on my trailer, arrived at "base camp" about 8:45am and spent the day riding, enjoying some different scenery and trails, and shooting the breeze with fellow TW owners.
    admiral and 50short like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can think of many an adventure and tale but just wish to stimulate good dialog and fond memories, maybe get you guys planning your own special trip.
    However I'll quickly list a few memorable rides and wishful thinking.
    1) Sneaking into Mt Saint Helens 2 months after the eruption and touring devastation. Wet fine ash was rubbery like 2 week old jello, farther out were vast deposits of crunchy pumice spheres like Cocoa Puff cereal. Fantastic and unique riding conditions. Absolute total devastation, thousands upon thousands of downed trees, smashed vehicles of victims, only sign of life a few lupines poking up through ash and a lone USGS helicopter in distance.
    2) Ran mineral sampling programs from back of KDX175 before days of GPS and LEDs. Had a 4" reflector 6v lantern fixed to helmet with lantern battery in fanny-pack. Once snuck into a mine by riding down continuous 10% spiral ramp to bottom some 1100 ft down ( 1100 ft decent @ 10% is an 11,000 ft ramp) using just helmet light. Sure was glad when KDX two stroke kicked into life powering up headlight for a very LOUD romp back to the surface.
    3) Best TW ride? This spring's tour of Death Valley, Alabama Hills and Bristlecone Pines ranks high.
    4) Planned Dream ride? Complete the Rubicon Trail on TW this time, I have previously done parts with Jeep and KDX.
    5) Improbable Bucket List? Tour Bolivian and Peruvian pre-Inca archeological sites, ride the Death Road in Andes. Maybe TW into Himalayas, or there is always Baja.

OK folks, your turn. Ignore my sensationalistic stuff, I just do weird things.
    And if you don't like my underground motorcycling stories I have some underground kayaking stories too. My Guardian Angel has worked overtime protecting me over the years and I swear I am a saner person now.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-09-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Up until now the best bike trip I’ve done was the 20 days I spent on the TW touring Western NFLD and Cape Breton with my brother-in-law last summer. We rode the old rail-beds,climbed mountain trails,thrashed the little TW's along the highways and byways,wilderness camped,saw lots of wildlife(Including moose),feasted on great local cuisine(Including moose),fished,got tuned on the local Newfy "Screech", met some very interesting locals, saw beautiful and wondrous sights, etc,etc,etc. And only had to don our rain gear twice during the entire trip.
    My next "Dream Trip" if all goes well will be next year. I retire in January and plan on riding across Canada visiting friends along the way and then heading south into the US and following my front wheel back home going who knows where along the way. I have no hard fast plan or schedule other than to see as many new places as possible and return home sooner or later.
    Who knows I may bump into some of you along the way.
    As much as I love the mighty TW I will be riding my V-Strom as it is much better suited for the trip. I can't wait for summer 2015!!
    Fred and admiral like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
    I retire in January and plan on riding across Canada visiting friends along the way and then heading south into the US and following my front wheel back home going who knows where along the way. I have no hard fast plan or schedule other than to see as many new places as possible and return home sooner or later.
    Who knows I may bump into some of you along the way.
    Long way off I know, but food for thought, if your front tire brings you too or through Sandhollow, Idaho, ... But my feelings won't be hurt if your front tire takes you on a different route
    Fred and Dubster like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My best non-TW/motorcycle journey was through British Columbia, Yukon, to Alaska. This was gonna be our one and only life-time trip up there. However, we enjoyed it so much we plan on doing it again.

Best so far dream ride: Sometimes it's the simple things, but my best TW ride so far was our Crutcher Crossing weekend camp & ride adventure in SW Idaho.

Dream ride: Still in the planning stages, is my Central Idaho Loop Ride. And when I say planning stages, I mean trying to talk my wife into it. She wants to go too, but finding it difficult to plan with an ATV because of pavement portions...and having enough vacation time off work!

Improbable dream ride: TW adventure loop ride through Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Neveda with maybe a dash of California. (Idaho doesn't count since I live here!)
    Fred, ZDR1 and jhannesson like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Long way off I know, but food for thought, if your front tire brings you too or through Sandhollow, Idaho, ... But my feelings won't be hurt if your front tire takes you on a different route
    Thanks Admiral. I just might head through there on my way south. I sure would like to meet you and shake Georgie's paw. Maybe get a picture of her perched on the back of my Strom. She is an amazing dog. If my Nellie could ride like that I would take her along with me. Nothing beats the company of a good pup.
    So far my US plan possibly includes California,Las Vegas,Grand canyon,some of Route66,back north to Colorado, Wyoming, then east to ???. All subject to change of course...
    admiral likes this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Dubster, Route 66. Thats within shouting distance of Belen, NM. Russ and Gina made it to my horme as one end of their 66 Honeymoon trek. Maybe you should consider it as the other end of a transcan run. Now New Foundland and Cape Breton. Those are dream rides, I've made in a VW Van but not on the TW Oh just think about it.
    Dream rides are cheap. Rout e 50 across the US. Route 54 from NM to Ill and beyond. See America first. Would I do the continental divide - you bet if I had a good riding companion and fewer years on the clock. Good rides are long rides where you have time to relax and think about things. Who can't have one of those? Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
    Thanks Admiral. I just might head through there on my way south. I sure would like to meet you and shake Georgie's paw. Maybe get a picture of her perched on the back of my Strom. She is an amazing dog. If my Nellie could ride like that I would take her along with me. Nothing beats the company of a good pup.
    So far my US plan possibly includes California,Las Vegas,Grand canyon,some of Route66,back north to Colorado, Wyoming, then east to ???. All subject to change of course...
    Dubster, maybe our roads will cross next year. As for my dream ride which if all goes well, I will be on the road in May 2015 and yes I will be riding the TW across the back road of North America for a year. I too will try to hook up with as many of you as I can. Stay tuned for more info which will be coming shortly....I'm working on a blog that will detail the preparation for this ride and the ride itself.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links