Bumblebee/Pine Valley Mountain
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Bumblebee/Pine Valley Mountain

Bumblebee/Pine Valley Mountain

For years my Father, brothers, and I hunted on and around Bumblebee Mountain north of New Harmony, Utah - until it was closed to hunting. I haven't been there in quite awhile, so the other day I decided I would get up out of the heat, and check out my old hunting grounds too. I consulted my maps and laid out a course up over Bumblebee, then around Pine Valley mountain, and back to home. I marked some interesting things to check out on the way. As it turned out there was more to see than I had originally thought.

I rode north on I-15 to the top of Black Ridge, where I turned off onto a remnant of Old Highway 91. Highway 91 started out in the early 1910's as the Arrowhead Highway, the first all weather route between LA and SLC, but by 1926 was re-designated Highway 91. I like old roads, trails, etc. so take the opportunity
    to ride them whenever I get a chance.

This old bridge crosses Ash Creek. I looked for a date when it was built, but no luck.

Out with the old, in with the new.

I love old windmills, and couldn't pass up the chance to get a pic of this one.

On the way to Bumblebee I saw quite a few old cars, tractors, and equipment. I like that kind of stuff. Bonus points if you can correctly tell which conflict this old jeep was likely to have served in.

At the base of Bumblebee is Kanarraville, a small town not far from I-15.

Kanarraville is home to the Kanarra Falls hike, a short, fun hike up a slot canyon east of town. It's a great hike in the summer because you're in the water most of the way. More old stuff in Kanarra.

We'll never see prices like this again!

When I was growing up my Dad had an old corn-binder (International) truck like this. It had a crash box (no syncros in the transmission, for you younger guys), and rode so hard I swear we travelled as much up and down as we did forward. It was a good old truck, though.

My Dad is fond of telling a story about that old truck. One day my father and his brother were out on Little Creek mesa harvesting cedar posts. One of them jumped in the old binder to back up so they could load more posts. Unfortunately the other wasn't watching and they ended up backing the binder into a deep wash. The front wheels were barely on top, and the sides of the wash were almost straight up and down. My uncle started complaining that they were going to have to walk all the way back home. Before they headed out, they decided they would at least try to get the truck out. They took a couple of the cedar posts and jammed them down between the dual wheels on each side. My Dad said he got in the truck, stuck it in granny gear, revved it up until he was ashamed of himself, and popped the clutch. The old binder crawled right up out of the hole and killed just as it got on top. They both were pretty amazed.

I know there's some guys on this forum that like old tractors!

This old bailer is still in use - well, by the horses at least. From the polished corners it looks like they're getting some good use out of it to scratch themselves.

Finally getting up on the mountain!

To be continued.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by B-dub; 06-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    Fred, old white truck, Mel and 4 others like this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

My wife and I "MUST" visit Utah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were on old route 66 last summer and found an old gas station with a price of 26 cent...... So how many miles did you end up going ? OMM.

Come on out! Route 66 sounds fun, I would like to do that someday. I ended up riding 170 miles, about 30 of which I've already reported on.
    Last edited by B-dub; 06-18-2014 at 02:53 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great scenery and artifacts. My ancestors settled in Utah before 1870 but I've been down here in the Texas prairies most all my life. Am planning a trip later this summer.

Re the Ash Creek Bridge the National Bridge Inventory lists 1925 as the date of construction:

Uglybridges.com | COUNTY ROAD over ASH CREEK, Washington County, Utah

That website is a good resource but does not cover all locations. If you encounter one that is not listed you can submit the location and photos to a sister site:

Bridgehunter.com: Historic Bridges of the United States

Both are searchable and broken down by state and county.

M C

Flowers were blooming, and everything was green and beautiful.

I spotted a few head of deer here and there, but had a tough time getting a good clear shot of them. Peek a boo!

That would make a beautiful Christmas tree, but since they are not real common in this locale better to leave it so all can enjoy.

The day was overcast, so didn't make for the best of pictures. That ridge in the background is actually a bright pinkish red.

I think a lot of people don't realize the west end of Zion National Park is right off of I-15 just a few miles north of the Black Ridge, or a few miles south of New Harmony. If you're traveling I-15 and have a pass or a few dollars to spare it would be a great way to stretch your legs, and you don't have to fight the crowds like you do in the main part of the park. Here's a picture I took of the park when I was on an earlier ride to New Harmony.

Looking off the north side of the mountain towards Cedar City.

I like the beauty of nature.

The pine trees are optimistic about their prospects this year!

The left hand line worked great.

I know you're going to be disappointed in me, but I walked it up this one. It's steeper than it looks.

I love little trails like this -

Until they dead end.

I learned something on this trip - just because the map shows the trail goes through, doesn't necessarily mean that it does. I did plot my way over to Pinto from Bumblebee with the maps I had. I tried 3 different dead end trails before giving up on that route. I backtracked a little ways until I found the trail down off the mountain into New Harmony.

It doesn't appear there has been an over-abundance of precipitation.

Down the mountain I go.

I could've called this the small towns, old things, snakes, and reservoirs thread because I saw plenty of each. The temps were cool, so the snakes were pretty lethargic. I didn't even see this little guy until it was too late. Looks like I may have clipped his tail. I didn't see any obvious signs of damage, so just let him be. Now, if Mark (VDR) had been with me he would've picked him up and checked him out - but I don't like snakes that much.

More to come later.
    Last edited by B-dub; 06-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    admiral, vegasdesertrat and Fred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by M C Toyer View Post
    Great scenery and artifacts. My ancestors settled in Utah before 1870 but I've been down here in the Texas prairies most all my life. Am planning a trip later this summer.

Re the Ash Creek Bridge the National Bridge Inventory lists 1925 as the date of construction:

Uglybridges.com | COUNTY ROAD over ASH CREEK, Washington County, Utah

That website is a good resource but does not cover all locations. If you encounter one that is not listed you can submit the location and photos to a sister site:

Bridgehunter.com: Historic Bridges of the United States

Both are searchable and broken down by state and county.

M C
    Cool, thanks for the date and the resources. I like old bridges too.

The road actually dropped me off just west of New Harmony on the road to Pinto.
    The remains of someone's dreams.

Someone else's dreams in play.

More relics from the past.

This feller was waiting for me in the grass. He was either snoozing, or waiting for it to warm up a bit.

Finally made it to Pinto, a very small ranching community.

You don't see many longhorns around any more, at least around here. You'd have to swing a pretty good sized loop to rope this one. I can't imagine how the cowboys in the old west rounded up herds of cattle with horns like those, then herded them for hundreds of miles to market.

More later.
    Mel, sp_cache, admiral and 2 others like this.

rbm
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    You're welcome, I'm glad you like it.

Mel
    The more I see B-dub's pictures, the more Southwest Utah moves up on my bucket list. It would be very easy for me. Do you tour guide B-dub?
    Mel
    Fred likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links