Sierra Soltice
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sierra Soltice

Sierra Soltice

At the last moment Adam-in-Nevada and I decided to celbrate begining of summer with a ride in Sierras centered around Fordyce Lake area twenty some miles west of Truckee. Following Rattlesnake Creek we first climbed atop Signal Peak to visit an old Southern Pacific RR signal hut perched way out on a knife ridge overlooking Hwy 80 and railroad thousands of feet below. Then into granitic terrain and a series of truly beautifull alpine lakes. Fordyce,Sterling, Mossy Pond,Upper Lola Montez and several other nameless acre sized ponds dotting along some 40+ mile maze of jeep roads. About six thirty we found an thrilling singletrack that must have shaved over twenty miles off of our return to Hwy 80. Plunging down the mtn twisting around boulders and spilling over granite slickrock this trail had us turning constantly hard left, hard right. Longest staight was about 150 feet as we skirted a tranquil alpine meadow. I'll try to add pics and video soon, still sore and exhuasted from pulling Adam out of mudholes and endo-ing myself on slick rock slope.
    Edit: Pics posted under my alias "Singletracker" as "Sierra Soltice Pics". New cell phone somehow locked onto old forum screen name. Fortunately I am slightly better staying on top of my TW than staying on top of technology.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-22-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Adam-n-nevada likes this.

did a lot of camping , fishing , and exploring at Fordyce lake In the 80s and 90s . So I guess the snow has melted? lots of times could not get there till late july . The PG&E would shut down the water flow so we could ford the creak to do the Sierra Trek Jeep Run into Meadow Lake . All the Venders would be there with their goods. Course they came in on the Forestry road with the Motorhomes and semi's . It lasted all week . Kinda the Sturgis of jeeps . Think I know the jeep Road through the meadow your talking about . Easier in a jeep . Food and girls are easy to carry in a jeep
    Don't forget the otherside of 80 at Guerlycreek Camp ground . was free camping . if not other places to camp . lots of roads leading to waterfalls etc . Robbs resort for food.
    Fred and Adam-n-nevada like this.
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Rode out of Nevada did you? How many nights did you stay? My first trips in there were on a BSA 441. I always stayed 3-5 days . Caught trout for dinner. Later I took a boat in there . Rough 4 wheel road on the last downhill stretch . Is the Cabin with the Heli pad by the Dam still there?
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We did it lazy man's style, ferried bikes in my truck to Cisco Grove, then just rode 'till early evening. Road into Fordyce Lake gets worse every year, but remains a nice kayak and fishing destination. No real changes to infrastructure other than port-potties added 5 years ago or so.

Thanks Fred , Lazy boys are good . They make a good recliner too
    Almost forgot about Cisco grove .It was a pretty good drive to get there from the bay area . . I had to stay for several days to justify the trip. Once when just the boys were going for the weekend we were having so much fun fishing and such that we decided to stay a few extra days . As a PG & E guy and his family was there using the cabin for the weekend we asked him to call our wives to tell them we were staying till Wednesday . Short story he said he would but he didn't. Wives got worried , call the sheriff . they sent out a small search party to find us which they did . Lucky for use the helicopter was down for repairs / All I could see was $$$$$ for a Search team. Seems the sheriff department was having training that week and it was somewhat boring for the guys and they were more than happy to get "out of the Office " so to speak
    . I think the next exit toward Sacramento is the one that gets you into Meadow lake . Usually not passable with high water until they shut down the flow of Fordyce lake for the sierra trek jeep run, then they reopen the gates after the jeepers leave making it impassable again.
    Any way we loved California , Wife was born there. One day we were in Death Valley going into laymog canyon which we did every year for a decade . That year was like any other year until we came upon a ROAD CLOSED sign.
    Wife looked over at me and said ' "" Everything we love About California , They are taking away."""!!!

Was from California , Now from Arkansas, where if the had a mountain they would be Mountain Men instead of HILLBILLIES

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    We did it lazy man's style, ferried bikes in my truck to Cisco Grove, then just rode 'till early evening. Road into Fordyce Lake gets worse every year, but remains a nice kayak and fishing destination. No real changes to infrastructure other than port-potties added 5 years ago or so.
    Adam-n-nevada and Fred like this.
    Norm in Arkansas

Greenbomb, you know your Sierras. Yes, the next west I80 exit is for Eagle Lakes which morphs into the modern Fordyce Trail to Meadow Lake. A serious Jeep road, it has three major creek crossings, three winch hills, and the remains of my clutch perch and brake lever.Someday I shall attempt to complete again. From Fordyce Lake the trail to Meadow Lake crosses Foerdyce creek as a raging deep, fast flowing monster with dam release water. Camping, boating, fishing, and TWing from Meadow Lake is very nice. Easy access is via Jackson Meadows Lake.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

You seemed pretty well informed yourself . Me . 1964 - 2003 .. Left state in 2005 . Jackson meadows is where we brought the motor homes in If memory is correct . those were the days
    Been nice talking with you
    Fred likes this.
    Norm in Arkansas

Was a great ride!! I sure was tuckered out the next day...didn't even end up going climbing Slept in instead, haha.

Thank you, Fred, for showing me around the area. I had no idea so many little treasures were hidden around Fordyce. We need to go back and hit that single track all the way up!

That riding area has lots still to be seen even though we started 7:30 a.m. on longest day of year. Let's go back!
    Hey you Nor Cal Riders, this is an easy drive up I80 if you are looking for a cool mid-summer adventure. Lakes are crystal clear, trout are tasty, riding only medium difficult.

Fred, plan and announce a ride. I bet you would get a few takers.

Joe
    bikerjosh likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links