Proposed route across the US from E-W; thoughts / comments requested.
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Proposed route across the US from E-W; thoughts / comments requested.

Proposed route across the US from E-W; thoughts / comments requested.

US Dubbers, seeking your advice and knowledge here.

I'm an Aussie who's hoping to be able to ride through the states for a few months (visa interview tomorrow). Said Aussie hasn't really done any research.

Here's my proposed route:

The route is pretty much based on the fact that we want to get west to see the northern Andes, and it's really hot in July so we'll stay as far north as we can, and might duck into Canada, as long as that's a simple process in terms of bureaucracy.

Starting in early/mid July in NY, finish Oct-Nov. Slow bikes on backroads, aiming to camp 5-6 nights a week (limits city stays).

So, how's the route? Any 'must sees'? Can anyone suggest a reason to change the route?

Thanks.
    KingVolcano likes this.

volcanoes, redwood trees, the pacific ocean, yosemite, i'd suggest getting to washington, oregon and california, but that's just being a western boy born and breed.

btw do you mean the rockies? ....the andes are a few miles further south.
    Fred likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I would have to ride through California

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I know you are going to touch Vermont right after leaving NY. I think it would be a shame to not spend a week touring through VT, NH and up through the coast and across the northern interior of Maine. I live in the NY Catskills mountains and when we go for vacations we always head north to Maine. Lobsters along the coast and wildlife through the interior with one of the prettiest roads called the Golden Road that takes you east to west and back through northern NY. The Golden road is about 120 miles of hard packed gravel and privately owned by the lumber companies but it is loaded with Moose and just about every other rarely seen animal in the US. The last time we were there it cost $8 to drive the road and we are going back shortly after you leave NY to drive it again.

Excellent plan to stay north for your ride west at this time of year! We can only dream of taking the trip you guys are doing but the country along the northern boarder of the US and Canada is probably the most scenic route you will ever ride. Sad to say though, even with a few months you don't have enough time to see it all. The national parks out west are drop dead gorgeous and don't miss Moab, UT.

We all hope you will post your ride report right here and a few of us can't wait to meet up with you next week.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I recommend going through Glacier National Park on Going To The Sun Road when you're in Montana. Stick with camping in the campgrounds when in that area, as there are plenty of Grizzly Bears.
    Fred likes this.

The National Park system showcases tremendous national beauty. A annual pass offers unlimited entries for not much money. Western ones I would really recommend areUtah state's Arches, Zion, &/or Bryce Canyon for sculpted sandstone, Arizona's Grand Canyon(North Rim). Yosemite is awesome,then north via pacific coast. Montana's Glacial park's Going to the Sun road will give lifelong memories as well as any rockies destination.
    East of the Rockies others can guide you.
    cabinetmaker likes this.

Just be prepared for days of travel on flat endless (boring) roads in a few of those states. Maybe some folks in in those states can chime in on the best route through their state.
    Yamak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KingVolcano View Post
    Just be prepared for days of travel on flat endless (boring) roads in a few of those states. Maybe some folks in in those states can chime in on the best route through their state.
    You got that right King! There are a couple states in this route they will wish they could highlight and hit the delete button. I have done a lot of this on all three routes North was by far the nicest, Central was the most boring and the south was the hottest.

GaryL
    KingVolcano likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I would be more tempted to do what Gary says and head to Canada early to see the North Side of Lake Superior. Then drop back down into the States in Montana. You can hit the Idaho back country discovery routes and then many more in the Western states.

Backcountry Discovery Routes
    KingVolcano likes this.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Ride through Las Vegas at night. See hoover dam on the way into Arizona.
    Fred likes this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links