Touring Colorado
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan-e

Thread: Touring Colorado

Touring Colorado

I just picked up a '88 TW, and am new to this forum. My normal bike was down for serious work, and I needed to go to Centennial, WY from Grand Junction, CO and back (about 600 miles), and I thought to myself, "What the heck, I'll take the TW."

The bike was a little bit rough, so I had to fix some things, during which I geared it for the highway with a 14T front sprocket and a 42T rear. After some new tires, I strapped on my camping gear, and I was off.

With that gearing, I felt like I maxed out the TW's power, but it didn't feel abusive to the engine. Even loaded, I could cruise comfortably at 45-50 mph, and push it to 55 mph if needed. I stayed on secondary roads for the most part, going through Rifle, Meeker, Craig, Steamboat Springs, and Walden. I camped a couple of nights too, once on the way on Rabbit Ears pass, and then again at my destination with friends at Centennial.

On steep sections like passes I had to downshift and run at 35-40 mph in 4th gear, but I just faded into the shoulder as needed to let faster traffic by. I checked my fuel economy twice, and I got 76 mpg when doing a lot of climbing, and 79 mpg when running more on the level. That's what the 2014 supposedly gets Not bad!

I used a 110 main jet, but it was too rich above 7,000 feet, which was actually a good bit of the trip... for example, all of North Park. At full throttle, the engine lost power and loaded up, so I had to back off. I've now got a 108 or order to see how that does. Spacing the needle jet up 2 washers is a golden tip I got from someone here. That helps a lot.

The big tires were a bonus during camping, as I needed to ride through some softer terrain where my normal dual purpose bike would have left ruts. Cool!

I'm a new TW fan! It was a fun ride. I'm looking forward to more already...

(Pic is from North Park looking towards Rabbit Ears)
    dan-e.JPG
    Last edited by Dan-e; 07-02-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    Dingman likes this.

Great Ride report, and Welcome to the Forum. Got any Pics from the ride?
    Journey before destination.
    -Brandon Sanderson

Added to original post! Thanks
    Last edited by Dan-e; 07-02-2014 at 10:23 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

Nice ride report and pics. My Colorado trip is getting closer and closer can't wait. Love it up there. Thanks for sharing.
    '73 CT-90
    '14 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear rack, Jimbo shield, Gmax dual sport helmet

welcome Dan-e. Pretty decent first trip on the TW. Hope you realize that won't be your last. Also, you may wanna shine up the 'other' dual you mentioned. I got a feeling it will be for sale soon.

FYI, its written in the forum by-laws that all ride reports contain photos. (notice the plural?)
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Next time I'll pack my camera. No need to sell anything, as you can't have too many motos, right?!

I gotta confess that when I was contemplating the TW for this trip, my first (and second) thoughts were, "Naw, too small. Too slow." But then I remembered Pierre.

I lived in Bamako, Mali, West Africa for a time and had a Euro XL250 while there. Nice bike, by the way. Anyway, my French friend Pierre, a motorcycle mechanic, rode a XL125 from Paris to Bamako - unsupported!! He never divulged his secret to me, but I figure as he was motoring across the heart of Algeria he had to have ponied up to a truck for extra gas and water. That's a long long way and very very sandy. A TW would have been a better mount

Anyway, long story for my justifying taking a little 200 on 600 miles. A comparative piece of cake!
    Last edited by Dan-e; 07-03-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Sponosred Links