TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Double Duty

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jb882 
#1 · (Edited)
Not an epic "remember for all times" ride report, but was able to spend some time away from people, work, computers, towns, and some heat for our annual family Mule camp & ride. This year I also took some extra transportation for some extra saddle time!

With the animals already at camp, wife and I loaded up and headed for the hills. Enjoying the drive up by the reservoir when I notice a pickup behind me flashing it's lights/turn signals, anything to get my attention. Pulled off the road and the nice fellow pointed out I may have an issue. Houston, we have a problem, I says to myself!!! Inner wheel bearing...gone! My bad! (Note to self: if I have a gut feeling I should take care of something ahead of time, just do it). Procrastination doesn't always work! Thanks to the guy for stopping me before worse got worser!

Luckily, I have a just the mode of transportation to head back to the nearest town to get some parts. So, after sitting by the road and 2 trips into town for parts (first bearing set was to small), we get to camp at 2230, 5 hours later than expected. It was dark. My wife still loves me!:p

Spent the next few days "Muling around" the woods and stuff.

Had/have a mechanical issue with the TW which limited some "other" saddle time, but managed to get out a few times in the evening
Georgie spotted the cattle down in the valley near a dude ranch. 4D Longhorn Guest Ranch I believe.

We are not cowboy's or have lots of money, but if you want to be a cowboy and got the money, 4D Ranch is for you! 4D Longhorn Ranches: A paradise for horseback riding in Idaho
Well, I've always wanted to be a cowboy, just not pay for it!

Alfred E. Georgie. "What, me worry!"

Edit: I should add, one morning Georgie chased a small black bear up a tree about 15 yards from our camper.
Apparently, she really doesn't worry!

Not much on picture's, but it was a great time.

See less See more
#2 ·
that's the look my dog gives me when i try to get her to sit on the back of my bike, but i interpret it as: "what'chu talkin' 'bout willis??"
great trip!
a few fish in that river i bet?

#9 · (Edited)
:D

I think I would starve to death if I had to rely on fishing! a. I don't like to eat it; b. see a!:p

If we could only truely understand what are dogs (pets) are trying to tell us. Probably not what I'm interpreting!:)

#10 ·
Our (my) main thought at using the TW to run for parts was, we didn't want to unhook and leave the machines along side the road and take the pickup/camper on the run. We would have come back to an empty spot or empty trailer! By the way, on the parts run(s), I did buy a big cable lock so the TW/ATV can be locked to the trailer. At least this would slow down a would be thief! I hope!:)

#11 ·
The problem I have with myself is, I was thinking about servicing the bearings, knew they probably needed it, but kept saying "I do it before the next trip" which came and went time after time. I'm not the first, nor the last, to have this happen, but at least it made a good part of the vacation story!:p

#5 ·
Great posts as usual Admiral. I am so impressed that you were equipped for a roadside rebuild. I did not notice your famous hammer anywhere, using a mule kick these days to loosen lug-nuts? Looks like a mule tattooed your TW tank too. Really enjoy the story and photos, thanks.

#12 ·
I am so impressed that you were equipped for a roadside rebuild. I did not notice your famous hammer anywhere,
Darn it, I forgot about the hammer in photo thing. Guess I was a little stessed by the situation to think "this will be funny"! But rest assured, a hammer was used in the fixing of this trailer:D

My roadside rebuld tool kit started out with us just wanting to take the hydraulic jack, shown in the photo, with us in case of a flat. I then kept addding to the "jack-kit". I will be adding a "large socket or wrench kit" as using a chiesel and hammer is not the best at loosening or tightening a bearing nut! But it worked!

#6 ·
Over the years I've seen a lot of trailers pulled to side of road with failed wheel bearings. Back when I had a boat at the beginning of boating season I would be doing my annual repack or replace of wheel bearings. Did my quad trailer bearings when I first picked it up but can probably go every 2 years on a regular trailer (of course it probably depends on how much you use it). Glad to see you got it repaired and your wife still loves you!...LOL. How much does your dog Georgie weigh? My 50 lb cattle dog mix would love to go on rides and looks to weigh about the same and Izzy is quite agile.

#13 ·
How much does your dog Georgie weigh? My 50 lb cattle dog mix would love to go on rides and looks to weigh about the same and Izzy is quite agile.
I'm guessing Georgie weighs about 25-30lbs. I can feel her a little cause she moves back and forth, but nothing too bad. However, sometimes I leave her behind or she rides on the atv when the trail gets to tough and I need to concentrate on balance. (i.e. so I don't go over the cliff)!

If you think your dog will like riding on back, give it a try. Makes for a good companion when there are no others to ride with or you want to ride alone!

#7 ·
Quite an adventure! I remember when I was a kid the family was cruising along when a tire and wheel passed us! Sure enough it was from our own boat trailer. Fortunately no harm was done; I'm glad that was the case with you as well.

Those are some good looking mules! Lucky you had the fast mule to chase parts with.

Cool pic and story about Georgie. I have zero experience with bears. Having one in camp would make me kind of nervous.

I enjoyed the pics and story, thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

#8 ·
I really admire your setup there Admiral, I get a little envious every time you post it up! :)

In a few years when it's time to replace my aging 4x4 I think I'll go with a truck and camper something like yours. Anything that makes the wife happier to tag along is bound to be good for morale!

Looks like you had another great trip, thanks for posting.

#15 ·
In a few years when it's time to replace my aging 4x4 I think I'll go with a truck and camper something like yours. Anything that makes the wife happier to tag along is bound to be good for morale!
Happy wife is always good for morale, mine and hers:p. We would love a toy hauler camper in the future, we think, but for us right now we want a pickup camper so we can get back further off the main roads. Sometimes a big trailer won't go where we want to go. Time changes our wants and needs. 10 years ago we were happy in a tent.

#14 ·
B-dub;128089 Those are some good looking mules! Lucky you had the fast mule to chase parts with. Cool pic and story about Georgie. I have zero experience with bears. Having one in camp would make me kind of nervous. [/QUOTE said:
No TW "mule" on our next adventure as we have to pull the "Mule Trailer". Nor will we have time to ride anything but the 4 legs. Years ago I would have been really scared to run across a bear. Now I realize I'm done for unless the bear runs the other way, so no time to be scared! I'm more worried about wolves now than the bears, but not had a bad encounter with either so far! Apparently I stink and they run off!:p

#16 ·
I carry an extra hub complete with bearing and seals already greased and assembled to put on . Also have Bearing Buddies with grease fittings . I use lightweight grease not boat trailer stuff. The boat stuff does not melt when the hub gets hot. The light weight grease melts and oils the bearing. Most big trucks today have oil hubs on the front axle and a clear window to check them . course you already know that. With the Bearing Buddies I really don't need the extra hub , but they make good give away 's in the outback . Had six at one time , down to two now . Hate down time away from home base .

Reactions: admiral
#18 ·
I do the same with my boat trailer, i carry a complete disc assembly with bearings and a seal in it ready to go and a full compliment of tools. the last thing i want to have happen is be stranded 100+ miles from home with a busted trailer. I have only needed it once when my current boat trailer was new and the cheap chinese made bearings in it failed. Have not had a problem since good bearings went in....

As far as grease goes i use Lucas red and tacky #2. In my 20+ years towing trailers its the best grease i have found by far. my hubs stay nice and cool with it and if i ever lose a cap it doesn't sling all over the place. I personally dont use "bearing buddies" i have a system on mine where the grease can be pumped in and it flows thru the spindle, thru the rear bearing and out the front bearing. Its almost like repacking the hubs if you pump a bunch of grease thru it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.