Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By Leben
  • 2 Post By admiral

Thread: Western States Trail

Western States Trail

This is definitely not my video, found it while researching possible group ride locations for the Nor-Cal group closer to the Bay Area. One minute into this eight minute descent and my pucker factor was at maximum overload. I'll keep looking

This section is outside Foresthill around 1000 elevation. I have ridden much more reasonable parts of Western States Trail closer to Tahoe on reasonable alpine ridges and heavy timber.
    admiral and B-dub like this.

A more reasonable slice of the trail.
    B-dub likes this.

Foresthill while a bit hot now has a trail system Nor-Cal might enjoy not far for most members. This is just a sample vid pulled from internet, I rode once in area back when dinosaurs ruled. Hint: I was astride a Montessa 250 , had hair down to my shoulders and the Beatles sounded good from my 8-trackhttp://youtu.be/j5WZCMadWc4

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, talk about pucker factor! Good thing I don't wear a helmet when at the computer or I wouldn't puked in it! Very tight switchbacks for sure. Looked real steep too, steep enough for the riders to coast engines off down this trail. Bridge at the end was cool though. I'd probably have taken a big long break there if I was the one riding the trail...if I would'a made it that far!

Speaking of pucker factor. Here is a video from a Idaho rider on a trail not that very far from where I live. I will not be riding this trail! Hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread...too much! Skip to about the 3:00 minute mark to get the full puke pucker factor going!
    Last edited by admiral; 07-14-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    B-dub likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great video Admiral. I used to think I was brave and somewhat skilled in the saddle but some those trails would reduce me to quivering jelly.I normally seek the most challenging trails and thought your vid looked doable 'tll the three minute mark. By 7.5 minutes in I would be ready to pull over like the riders to puke and/or change underwear.
    Boise River canyon? I first thought of Snake River Canyon, guess there is a lot of that steep stuff in sw Idaho. Good chucker habitat I bet.
    Could you relax on top of your mule with such steep sidehills? They are more sure-footed than a horse I hear.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-14-2014 at 10:20 AM.

As a flatlander, I was nervous for them just viewing it though my computer. At the 10 minute mark I would have had to force myself to breathe.
    Fred likes this.

He was riding above the Middle Fork of the Boise River upstream from Arrow Rock Reservoir. I'll be sure to avoid this area on single track!

I've been on worse exposured mountain sides on my mule, but I'd still be a quivering bag of mush on this trail too. I understand mules are more sure footed than horses, but I suppose there are exceptions (both not so good mules and sure footed horses). Still, I put my trust in my Toby! He's a lot better on these types of trails than I would be on the TW.
    Fred and plumbstraight like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Begging for a stay in the hospital, that's if they find a trace of you left to take out. Vultures would clean up the mess before help arrived.

Sponosred Links