Motorcycle Mishap
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Motorcycle Mishap

Motorcycle Mishap

Anyone who has owned a motorcycle for any length of time has a few stories to tell. Would anyone be willing to share the story of when you laid their motorcycle down?

Here is mine: 11 years ago I was cruising down a remote gravel road doing about 35 mph on my Honda CT-110 trail bike. The sun was in my eyes which caused me to fail to see a ridge of deep gravel. The next thing I new I was traveling on my knees and palms. When I came to a stop I looked around to see if there were any witnesses. There were none. No serious injury was received, buy my pride was damaged and there was some blood and a little missing skin. I picked the Honda up and rode home conquered.

A fall is not funny at the time, but with the passing of time it becomes so.
    Fred likes this.

There is some great stories here:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...t-your-tw.html

Here's another one from a while back.

I started out with riding a friends mini bike, I think it was a Rupp or a Montgomery Wards or something like that. I also had a friend who had a Honda 50 which I loved riding. I think it was the Honda that gave me that first sense of freedom and with the wind blowing in my hair (25 mph felt like I was going a 100) back then, it was a real adrenaline rush to a kid for sure. I was 12 or 13 then and after going home would dream about motorcycles. I really loved them and wanted one so bad.

I had one incident in which my father was not pleased with me at all. I was hanging out with my friends at the schoolgrounds one weekend, just messing around, typically up to no good and one of our friends showed up with his new bike that his Dad had got him. He wasn't supposed to have it out at all without his Dad, but had snuck it out and drove by to show it off to us. We were all out on the baseball field and after begging and begging to ride it and sharing with him my vast (ha ha) experience, he reluctantly let me climb aboard it. It was a new bike, so shiny and cool looking. I think it was a Yamaha in the 80-125cc range, I don't really remember, it was a long long long time ago.

Anyway, after driving it around the field for a minute or two, someone suggested I jump it off the pitchers mound. Great Idea! (I thought)....so.... I drove it out a bit in the field, hit the throttle and headed for the mound. I went flying off the mound probably doing all of about 20-25 mph and suddenly realized that I was headed straight for the backboard. I remember this sinking feeling knowing I was going to crash into it, so laid it down and fell off the bike. The bike continued on, crashing into the backboard and bouncing off (I can still see the whole thing in my head, even though it was almost 50 years ago). Although I tried to convince the guy that his bike was ok, it wasn't. The shifter had punched a hole in the case, oil was leaking everywhere, the handlebars were bent sideways and the mirror was sheared off. He pushed it home, oil leaking all the way with parts dangleing and hanging off the bike. I knew I was going to be in a world of s**t when Dad found out. Well sure enough, my friend and his Dad showed up at the house a couple of hours later. I hadn't said a word to my Dad hoping the whole thing would just go away...and I wouldn't get in any trouble. It took a few months of my hard earned paper route money to pay for it and my friends Dad wouldn't let him hang around with me anymore..ha ha, wonder why?

By the time I was 14, my dream bike was a Triumph 650 Bonneville. I had a poster of one in my room and stared at it daily and dreamed of having one someday. I was still delivering the morning paper and noticed a guy who lived 3 doors down the street from us who had one in his garage. I stopped one day and asked him about it. He was in the military and was getting shipped out and wanted to sell it!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! It wasn't a 650, but was a vintage 57 hardtail 500 in cherry condition. Hey..good enough, right? I asked him how much he wanted for it, figuring I might be able to get it since I was going to get my license in another year and a half. He was selling the bike, two helmets, leather jackets and two toolboxes of tools and was asking 85 bucks for the whole works, believe it or not! I went home as fast as I could thinking about how I might obtain this deal of a lifetime bike. I guess I could live with a 500, if I had too, ha ha. I remember going home, being a real good boy and cutting the yard without being asked or pleaded with. Then, casually mentioning to Dad this bike I had found and what a good deal it was and that I should get it before it's gone,...bla bla bla...and that I would soon have my license, bla bla bla...that I could park it in the garage and not ride it till then...bla bla bla...hoping within, that good ol Dad would see my wisdom in getting it now before its too late.

Well....
    Dad said No and that was it. No amount of begging, pleading, crying or falling on the floor kicking my feet and pitching a fit would help either. I suppose there was wisdom in his saying no, but I didn't forgive him for a long time for that one. Yeah, I know, I probably would have killed myself on it for sure.

** I got even with Dad later when I stole 2 Zildjian Cymbals and a Samuri Sword that he had brought back from WW2 from him and traded them for 2 hours of riding time on a friends 125.

And....
    I still dream of riding motorcycles...
    fielding, Fred and evan like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Concho View Post
    When I was 18 I was coming down echo pass on highway 80 having spent a few days with friends in South Lake Tahoe when I came to a line of cars going up the pass. Just as I was coming by them a drunk decided to turn left into a bar called Little Norway. He turned right in front of me. I plowed straight into that El Camino breaking both arms severely and a few other assorted things. I was riding a Honda 450 scrambler I dearly loved.
    This is what it looked like.

Attachment 8152

It pains me just thinking of you with broken arms and a totaled Honda. That one will never seem funny. It was a beautiful bike.

My worst fall was pretty unique. I was on a dirt bike high on a mountain trail. The trail was narrow and to my right it was a very steep drop off. I stopped to savor the view. While I was looking across the mountain I lost my balance to the right. I slide about 15 feet down the mountainside and my motorcycle landed on top of me. It was Hell just getting if off me, then with my damaged body I had to drag that thing back up on the trail. I had to deal with it as best I could, it was 35 miles from home. It's ironic that my worst motorcycle accident happened when I was parked.

I can't afford an accident at my age, so I drive very carefully. I only go on dirt roads and trails outside city limits. It is 1 mile from my house to the edge of city limits. There are thousands of miles of remote roads and trails near me. This is why I bought a TW, it is quite safe and handles dirt roads beautifully.
    Last edited by fielding; 07-19-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

These stories all make for great reading. Entertaining and informative insights into your lives, like now I know how fielding developed his aversion to gravel in his knees and palms.
    Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming. Seems like most all of us have been riding since kids so there are bound to be some more treasured stories out there.
    I seem to have a guardian angel who looks after me when I do stupid stuff so my stories are tame by comparison. A funny story is that once solo dirt biking on Mt.Spokane, Washington while trying to flat-track back the bike into a corner slideways I lost it over the edge. When the dust settled I was fine but my KDX was perched perfectly on top of a cut off pine stump way down the slope just as if it was on a bike stand.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-19-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Wow. It's amazing that you could think there was something funny about that accident. I don't drive in traffic. There are too many unpredictable people out there to suite me. My wife asks me what is so great about a motorcycle. She won't have a thing to do with one. It's difficult to explain, but it has some connection to freedom. I require more freedom than most people. In a car I am surrounded by plastic and glass. Visibility is poor at best, and I feel trapped. On a bike the visibility is maximum. I feel safe and how could I ever explain the feeling of the wind through my hair and shirt on a hot day. Nothing can compare. Well, a plane comes close. I have also owned two airplanes. One of them had a canopy lid instead of doors. I would slide the canopy back and fly it open cockpit. Flying has become too expensive, so I have to settle for the TW.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fielding View Post
    Wow. It's amazing that you could think there was something funny about that accident. I don't drive in traffic. There are too many unpredictable people out there to suite me. My wife asks me what is so great about a motorcycle. She won't have a thing to do with one. It's difficult to explain, but it has some connection to freedom. I require more freedom than most people. In a car I am surrounded by plastic and glass. Visibility is poor at best, and I feel trapped. On a bike the visibility is maximum. I feel safe and how could I ever explain the feeling of the wind through my hair and shirt on a hot day. Nothing can compare. Well, a plane comes close. I have also owned two airplanes. One of them had a canopy lid instead of doors. I would slide the canopy back and fly it open cockpit. Flying has become too expensive, so I have to settle for the TW.

From airplanes to a TW and your comparing the two? I must say I LOVE it Only thing I know about planes is that they are really fun to jump out of. I never have felt comfortable actually landing in one

Tom

I was about 17 yrs old riding a 1976 Honda Mr250 that was street legal, barely, and saw 2 of the best looking cheerleaders in the high school parking lot. Anyway, I popped a wheelie all across the asphalt lot, set the front down , came to a stop right beside them and fell over on my side. My shoe laces had caught on the gear shift lever. Damn bitches laughed at me and walked off while I tried to get a 300 lb dirt bike off my leg. That hurt more than any wreck I had that brought blood.
    evan likes this.
    Chris Reitzel
    Hidden Content
    2007 TW 200
    Too many Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Little General View Post
    I was about 17 yrs old riding a 1976 Honda Mr250 that was street legal, barely, and saw 2 of the best looking cheerleaders in the high school parking lot. Anyway, I popped a wheelie all across the asphalt lot, set the front down , came to a stop right beside them and fell over on my side. My shoe laces had caught on the gear shift lever. Damn bitches laughed at me and walked off while I tried to get a 300 lb dirt bike off my leg. That hurt more than any wreck I had that brought blood.

It would have been near impossible not to laugh at such a spectacle. There is no justice.

Quote Originally Posted by fielding View Post
    Flying has become too expensive, so I have to settle for the TW.
    I fly too, but I wouldn't exactly say I "settle" for the TW. I chose the TW and love every minute of it, and also enjoy every minute I'm in the air as well. Just got back from a flight about an hour ago actually
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmus4357 View Post
    I fly too, but I wouldn't exactly say I "settle" for the TW. I chose the TW and love every minute of it, and also enjoy every minute I'm in the air as well. Just got back from a flight about an hour ago actually

What do you fly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links