TW shipping crates
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone ever seen the shipping crates that the dealer receives TW's in? They come two to a crate, and I'm interested in the layout and how Yamaha fits the wheels, handlebars, etc. for shipping.

We want to ship our bikes to Chicago then ride Route 66 back home to California. Bike shippers get around $700 per bike in their fancy trailers. I'm considering shipping them as regular freight, crated up and partially assembled.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I second this question. Bike shipping companies will take you to the bank. This would be a fantastic idea!

Quote Originally Posted by DCTW View Post
    I second this question. Bike shipping companies will take you to the bank. This would be a fantastic idea!

Ok. I called the local dealer and explained the situation.

He says they're shipped side-by-side, facing opposite directions on the pallet, with the front wheel, fender and turn signals removed. Handlebars are out of their clamps and secured off to the side and the forks turned. Should make a fairly small package, fairly easy to re-assemble on the other end. Pop the front wheel and fender back on, gas and oil, and go. Shippers will probably want all fluids removed.

Really makes you wonder how some of them get away with charging $600 for setup. LOL. 30 minute job, no?

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just rent a pickup truck 1 way. Or an suv with a hitch and a u-haul.

They also have a cross brace that bolts to the handlebar clamps. That keeps the bike from swaying from side to side.I'm thinking something that can be cobbled together from flat stock and 2x4's will do a fine job or better yet see if the dealer will let you have one as we used to do.

Need a place to assemble your bikes I'm an hour and a half south of Chicago and about forty miles from 66.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Has anyone ever seen the shipping crates that the dealer receives TW's in? They come two to a crate, and I'm interested in the layout and how Yamaha fits the wheels, handlebars, etc. for shipping.

We want to ship our bikes to Chicago then ride Route 66 back home to California. Bike shippers get around $700 per bike in their fancy trailers. I'm considering shipping them as regular freight, crated up and partially assembled.

If you pull the forks out the triple clamp and remove the handle bars a TW would pack down quite small,like this one.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photog...ng07-Large.jpg

Oh bugger wrong picture. But you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TK200 View Post
    Need a place to assemble your bikes I'm an hour and a half south of Chicago and about forty miles from 66.

Thank you, sir. We may take you up on that offer once we get this worked out.

Greatly appreciate the offer. I love this place.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Lizard Breath - that is what is spells isn't it? I have a good friend with a big machine shed and bokoo tools that is almost as close to Chicago so if Streetor does not work out, think about Clinton, ILL as a delivery site. He probably would ply you with beer and fried crappie until you left for the ride. Tough life, hugh? I'm almost convinced that Rt 54 or Rt 50 across the USA would be just as enlightening as Rt. 66. The latter being so cut up now, and the others just as important (but less famous) as routes our parents took us in the 1956 Pontiac as we traversed America. I've driven Rt 54 from Tumcacari, NM through to Clinton, Ill many time just because I love back roads and hate Interstates (sorry Ike). Lkewise Rt 50 across America. Its famous in Nevada, but you have not lived until you have ridden it across Ohio and West Virginia. Not fast but oh so cultural. I've ridden old 66 (parts) on a bicycle and it can be done, but it is really cut up, with many redundant segments as the highway shifted with the years. I repeat my offer - if you come through Rt 6 and get near Los Lunas, NM - you have all the hospitality you can stand - beer, bed, and bike maintenance. Keep on dreaming and let us know if we can do local logistics. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Lizard Breath - that is what is spells isn't it? I have a good friend with a big machine shed and bokoo tools that is almost as close to Chicago so if Streetor does not work out, think about Clinton, ILL as a delivery site. He probably would ply you with beer and fried crappie until you left for the ride. Tough life, hugh? I'm almost convinced that Rt 54 or Rt 50 across the USA would be just as enlightening as Rt. 66. The latter being so cut up now, and the others just as important (but less famous) as routes our parents took us in the 1956 Pontiac as we traversed America. I've driven Rt 54 from Tumcacari, NM through to Clinton, Ill many time just because I love back roads and hate Interstates (sorry Ike). Lkewise Rt 50 across America. Its famous in Nevada, but you have not lived until you have ridden it across Ohio and West Virginia. Not fast but oh so cultural. I've ridden old 66 (parts) on a bicycle and it can be done, but it is really cut up, with many redundant segments as the highway shifted with the years. I repeat my offer - if you come through Rt 6 and get near Los Lunas, NM - you have all the hospitality you can stand - beer, bed, and bike maintenance. Keep on dreaming and let us know if we can do local logistics. Tom

He's right about Old 66 being almost gone I'm farther North then Clinton but I may have to ride down there myself if he's offering beer and crappie. I just stunk up the garage frying some up while watching our famous Chicago Bears lose last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links