Russ Rally Northwest - Elk City - The Gathering
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Russ Rally Northwest - Elk City - The Gathering

Russ Rally Northwest - Elk City - The Gathering

We're back from the ride, tired and sore, but with great memories. Speaking for myself, I thought of Russ quite a few times on this ride. May have only been 6 phyiscally present, but it felt like the whole TW200 gang was along. I get sentimental sometimes.

I was worried when I set the date of this, but had to make sure the snow was gone in the high elevations and before the fire season. The fire season did start all over the northwest prior to our ride, but thankfully the fire gods lets us ride!

So you don't have to try and figure out who is who, I'll start out and introduce us.

Ron (Roninboise). I've rode with Ron a few times over the past couple years. Fun to ride with

Bob ([email protected]) Bob hadn't mentioned coming not knowing if he could make it or not. It was great he did.

Bill and Arleen. I did spell it right didn't I Arleen? (BillPacific and ArleenPacific). Unforseen circumstances prohibited Bill
    from brining his TW, but said he would come, and by gosh he did!

Bills TW for this gathering. Bill and Arleen couldn't stay but a day, but I'm sure glad they came no
    matter how long it was.

Us, Kris & Lori (Admiral and MrsAdmiral)

Almost forgot, Scamper (Ron's puppy and moose by our camp spotter)

and of course Georgie

more to come
    Last edited by admiral; 07-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

More, more, more please. I want to see if Scamper retrieved the moose.
    williamemack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    More, more, more please. I want to see if Scamper retrieved the moose.
    The moose had a slight advantage in size otherwise I'm sure Scamper would have drug the moose on in too camp.
    (These are Ron's picture's of the moose at camp)
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Hey Admiral, thanks for the free sticker publicity ! Looks like you all had a good time, especially the dogs.

Will
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Day 1 Thursday

Pre-Report note. I'm disgusted with my video camera. I had 3 great days worth of video, however, the video robbers would rob me of Days 1, 2, and part of days 3 video. I got the second half of day 3. You won't be able to tell, but there is a lot of good stuff to show you, that is left only to our memories. Hopefully the photo's will suffice! This is the second time my video camera has failed to record! Aargh!

In order to maybe get an extra day of riding and scouting the local trails/roads, we headed up Wednesday after work arriving at camp around 11:00 p.m. We were tired! Camp was already occupied, so we hit the day for the night nearby. As luck would have it, all the campers left the area so we took it over! (Feeling like a campground Pirate Admiral)

Decided to scout out some areas along the Crooked River up near Orogrande. Rode up FS311 for a bit
    and took a loop detour on an unnamed mine road which would bring us back down to Orogrande.

It was a bit chilly today (high 60's). We stopped at Old Orogrande, jct of 311/233 to sun ourselves and grab
    a geocache.

I think this is the old Boarding/Hotel building in Old Orogrande.

Heading back to camp (slowly) we head up trail 807 near Five Mile Camp. It's an ATV trail now and is
    very steep in places. My 55T rear sprocket did the job though I did bog down slightly in one very very
    steep section.

With all the mining history of the area, I was hoping to find an old mine with some stuff to look at.
    Bingo, we found one!! This appeared to be a mechanics/storage shed near the shaft enterence

Door was chained and locked, but I was able to squeeze the camera in for this shot

I love it when we find the old ore cart tracks

I'm in mine find heaven

Now, I won't go in an old mine cause of the danger, and this is a good reason why. Caved in just inside
    the entrance

1 of 2 cabins at the mine. Looks like they had electricity. Most likely with a generator I suppose

Been a while since last occupied

Second cabin is directly behind the first one

All the comforts of home eh?

One last photo for the day while on top of the ridge before heading back to camp

When we get back, Bob and Ron will have both arrived. We chit chat around the campfire for a while, and
    with all of us a bit tired, we bed down for the night.

More to come
    B-dub, bananachunks, r80rt and 3 others like this.

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    [QUOTE=admiral;130685]We're back from the ride, tired and sore, but with great memories. Speaking for myself, I thought of Russ quite a few times on this ride. May have only been 6 phyiscally present, but it felt like the whole TW200 gang was along. I get sentimental sometimes. [QUOTE]

I'm sure that Russ was there in spirit and as for the rest of us took a moment to think about you guys on your gathering. Thank you for honoring him. He thought highly of you guys.
    admiral, bananachunks and r80rt like this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

ELK CITY RUSS RALLY
    This was a fun event to participate in. I looked forward to it since it was first announced.

It went off so well because of the pre-planning by the Admiral and Mrs.Admiral. They had identified a great camp site; also many miles of interesting,scenic riding. Their consciousness of the Historic significates of this area added to the enjoyment. How the Admiral managed to find probably the only mosquito-free camp in this part of Idaho is a trick in itself.

Mrs. Admiral is a highly skilled ATV rider and she wore me out on both days of our adventures. Her ever present smile on rides was the stimulus we needed to keep on trucking.

I think I will always remember how my little dog, Scamper saved all our lives by warding off the wild woodland beasts. The day I arrived at the camp, ( I might note that the GPS coordinates that the Admiral provided got me within .1 miles of the exact location) I pulled up a chair by the common area and kicked back. I could see a nice dredge pond right next to our area. As I admired the surroundings, I began to visualize a critter face in the woods by the pond. I scooted back to my rig and grabbed my camera. I barely got reseated when the face materialized into a female real live moose. By staying in the shadows I was able to get several good photos of the natural drama taking place in front of me. Soon Scamper came over and peeked through the foliage. Right away he determined that that creature out there eating pond grass was something new in his life. He barked his displeasure at the intrusion into our serene surroundings.The moose was not quick to take offense. Eventually it made its way to shore and actually started walking in our general direction. Every time the moose would take a step, Scamper would take a step too (backward) and give another warning bark. I am sure that the moose was so intimidated by my (17 pound) dog’s challenge that it decided to wander off into the woods.

That was good because I don’t think Scamper could have eaten the moose in one setting. The moose must have been a curious sort because in the next couple of days, the moose came back to check us out but again, Scamper saved the day. As a side note, a white tailed deer came down to the pond three times and all it took was one bark to send it to flight. Apparently word must have gotten around the woods that our camp harbored a serious defender.

Georgie and Scamper got along really well for their first meeting. I am an early riser so each morning I would get Georgie and Scamper together and throw the tennis ball for them. It was fun watching the two of them racing each other for possession of the ball. At the end of each session, they would set like the obedient fuzzy kids they are and receive a doggy treat for their efforts.

We did not forget that this gathering was to commemorate and remember a friend that we all lost. Russ’ willingness to share his experience with the rest of us on the forum was invaluable to me in my quest to be the master of my machine; now that is really delusional on my part. When I research a particular technical topic on the forum, it is comforting to find that what Russ contributed on the topic of interest was spot on.

I had a great time, so did Scamper(THE MOOSE HOUND). I met some new TW kids and had a great adventure.

Happy Trails All
    Ron in Boise
    Last edited by Roninboise; 07-28-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    littletommy, r80rt, Fred and 5 others like this.

That last photo of your wife and georgie is priceless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMM.

Mrs. Admiral? I thought it was some famous fashion super-model you had specially flown in.
    You two tell some mighty fine stories, I imagine we all missed a few good ones sitting around campfire with the group there. Looking forward to more, and here is to hoping The Pirate Admiral can find some missing clips in a video file somewhere because everything looks fantastic so far.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-28-2014 at 03:41 PM.

I don't think I've ever seen a pic or video yet that Lori doesn't have a huge smile on her face. You are a lucky man Kris to have a lady who will get out and do things like this with you!
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links