Riding with the BWM Touring Club of Detroit trip to Michigan's Upper Penninsula
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Riding with the BWM Touring Club of Detroit trip to Michigan's Upper Penninsula

Junior Member John Smallberries's Avatar

Riding with the BWM Touring Club of Detroit trip to Michigan's Upper Penninsula

This weekend, I joined 12 other guys for a 2-day ride through the sandy trails of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - between Marquette and Copper Harbor. I have a BMW 1200GS that I take on other rides with these guys. BUT - this was going to be tight trails and deep sand for two days. I knew that my TW200 was the better bike for the job. With lots of input from this forum, I "adventurized" my TW and headed up. The best advice I got was to upgrade my front tire to a Kenda K270. It was great in the sand.

At first, I was a bit intimidated by the NINE big GSs on the ride. But - after the first 1/4 mile run down a narrow sandy trail - FOUR of them bailed out. After dropping a 500+ lb. bike in the sand a few times - the fun starts to drain away.

The TW200 was fantastic. I went everywhere with little drama - not one fall. I had no problems keeping up with the bigger bikes. The speed limits in the paved roads is 55 mph - well within my capability. Off road, I had no problems. I was usually waiting for the bigger bikes after they fell and had to get back up. I would take the TW again in a second.

I did have one problem: while riding on a nasty rocky trail, I sucked a rock into my chain/sprocket and cracked a chain link. I was able to limp back to the hotel, but I was done for the weekend. We did have a chain breaking tool, but not enough links to replace the damage to my chain. Next time I'll have a chain kit...

Here are a few shots of the trip.

Last edited by John Smallberries; 08-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    TW-Brian, admiral, B-dub and 1 others like this.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

Very nice! Thank you for sharing! The mighty TW conquers again..
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for sharing this trip with us. I have a R100GS and can echo your thoughts on which bike to bring to the trails. I have spent some time in the sand near Lake Superior with the TW and have never regretted choosing it over my GS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sweet! you certainly picked the right bike to ride on that trip. As long as your not going high speed the mighty Tdub can hang with the big boys and show them up in the nasty stuff. I've went on rides with Harley guys and we were taking twisties on coastal roads and no problem keeping up.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Great story John, thanks!

Are my eyes deceiving me or are those some mongo storage tubes?

Brian

rbm
    Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Great story John, thanks!

Are my eyes deceiving me or are those some mongo storage tubes?

Brian
    Those are "Mega Tubes" from the www.thetooltube.com site. They each fit a 1.5l Primus fuel bottle. They still have the fuel in them because I never needed them on this trip. Better safe than sorry.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Sweet! you certainly picked the right bike to ride on that trip. As long as your not going high speed the mighty Tdub can hang with the big boys and show them up in the nasty stuff. I've went on rides with Harley guys and we were taking twisties on coastal roads and no problem keeping up.
    I do think that next time I will change to a 47-tooth rear sprocket. First gear is really a crawler and I'd like a few more mph on the top end.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

That's cool! Great pictures! So what did your riding buddies say about you leaving the GS home and taking the TW?
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
    Those are "Mega Tubes" from the www.thetooltube.com site. They each fit a 1.5l Primus fuel bottle. They still have the fuel in them because I never needed them on this trip. Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks John!

I had forgotten seeing those somewhere before (I think that the high price must have blocked them from my memory ).

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links