Want to Teach Me how to Trail Ride this thing?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Want to Teach Me how to Trail Ride this thing?

Want to Teach Me how to Trail Ride this thing?

Well I live in Florida and Its been Raining ALOT! I decided To take this thing for a Trail ride and I was in for a shock. ALL THE TRAILS are muddy. Now I am 20, I have 4 years of Riding experience on road. 16-19 with a Scooter and just this year I got endorsed to ride the TW200. Now I been riding this thing Very RARLY on Trails. I know the basics to Trail riding:
    Rule One: If in Doubt, find another route,

Rule Two: Where the Four Wheelers/ ATVs Have dug Ruts and its muddy... GO through the middle of their Trail NOT through the Rut.
    (atv mud Rut left ATV tire ------> { (Ride|here) } <------ Atv Right tire Rut

Rule Three: When Going up a Dirt Slop Gauge IF your going to Bottem Out First. Rule Four: When GOING down a Dirt Slop Use the back Brake ONLY.

Rule 5: See Rule One

Now Those Are Just things I Learned BY myself. Half of those Things I learned doing Mountin biking.

Now What about Mud Riding?
    I know Nothing about that. When I was Presented with the Muddy Commutte To my pit I was Scared. Now When I Tried to Follow Rule 2 ^ I sorta Slipped off my "Narrow shelf" into the ATV mud Rut. I Put my feet down and Stopped. I Tried to Slowly Go through the Rut But the Back Tire Had its Own Plans. Just like Teenager who Does the Oppisit of what its Paresnts say. (Front Wheel.... Also Im referring to me When I was Little too ) The Back Tire would Just Slide which ever way it wanted to... I wasn't even going but 2 MPH at 40% throttle and It would Slide Which ever way it wanted. Now I was able to Hop off my bike and Walk/ THrottle Walk with it TO the other side to Dry land. Now Anyone who knows How To Control The Slide let me know.

I had a fun Ride Today, but when I Hit a Tree Stub in a Right Turn It Bent my rear Brake lever. I had to Go home Take it off, Beat it with a hammer until it was normal again and WHen I put It on The little Cotter pin that holds the linkage together broke. I had to Make a cheap Cotter pin out of a Jeep Brake Spring that fited in the hole. What Is the Size of that Cotter pin? I want to buy a Replacement for it.

Well after I Fixed the Brake lever I set out for another Ride. I went back And had fun. Than Guess what....???

Out of nowhere it started Raining. It Got Dark FAST and I had to Highbeem Ride through the woods because I heard thunder less than 9 miles away. (Yep Florida Weather You are like my Girlfriend.... you Just are SOOO random!) I had to go 10 miles and hour for 2 miles until I hit my road. Well I had to face my Mud pit again and AGAIN... I fell off my shelf because the middle shelf was soggy and the Tire just Refused to listen to my Front wheel in the mud. I had to get off and Throttle walk it out onto the other section of land. Than..... I notced I had ALOT of mud Built up on my Exhast pipe And my cooling fins. Turned the engine off, took out my water bottle, and filled it up with just the water from the mud pit and pour it on my cooling fins to get at least 5 of them Clean. Along with the rain and thunder getting more Real, I started and Ran home faster. I got home and Washed her off. I made sure I Got the cooling fins First than I got the Exhast pipe. than I cleaned it all off. and Got the chain and after I Washed it, I lubed up the Chain with White lithim Grease.

Now that was my day. Look I'm just a Kid whos just starting out with Trails. So to recap Just tell me if I did Proper Riding, Proper Engine Firstaid (If the mud was Really something to Worry about on the engine.. or if I just over reacted) Tell me how to Freaking Ride this thing through a Pit and guide the back tire (If I can guide It at all) Tell me if I did The Right After Ride checklist... And If you Want... Hell Throw in some more Trail Riding Rules and guidelines of your own you learned.

0608-143454.jpg0608-143501.jpg0608-143517.jpg0608-143523.jpg0608-143529.jpg
    Last edited by Blackfire17; 08-07-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Sounds to me like you are going to be telling us what works and what doesn't. I think you have a great future on this forum, keep posting your ride reports and pics, I enjoy seeing them.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You did good bro! Hang in there and keep trying. Mud and sand take a little extra effort and practice. I think you are doing fine so far. Perhaps Admiral will see this post and show you his pic of a muddy engine...Good little bikes bro, enjoy!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I think the only way to learn trail riding is by doing it. Get some good protective gear and go for it slow and easy as you gain confidence and learn what each situation tosses at you. One rule you did not mention is regarding sticks, branches and roots. Always try to hit them straight on. Your front tire will love to slide along the crooked branch or root if you hit it off center.

GaryL
    old white truck and Fred like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I am also just learning to get off road again after 20 plus years. I tried straddling the ruts here in upstate NY as well with very little success. Same symptoms you have experienced "back tire slides where it wants". I know of no hard fast rules to trail riding other than "maintain forward momentum" and I learned that the hard way. What does work for me is embrace the ruts! Drive right down into them and stay on the throttle. I equate this technique to bumper bowling. You may slide a bit side to side inside the rut but who cares you will NOT slide out of it. Give it a try and I think you will be satisfied with the results.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

If yall want a Free boat you can have that one in the pic

Where are you located in Florida?

Ray

St.Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by georayb View Post
    Where are you located in Florida?

Ray
    map 1.pngmap2.pngmap3.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links