Advice for first "long trip" on 03 TDub? San Diego to Sequoia Kings Canyon area350mi+
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Advice for first "long trip" on 03 TDub? San Diego to Sequoia Kings Canyon area350mi+

Advice for first "long trip" on 03 TDub? San Diego to Sequoia Kings Canyon area350mi+

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of taking the Tdub up to see my family over the long weekend ahead. It's going to be 80-90 degrees out for most of the ride. It's a pretty long stretch through CA's Central Valley. I've never taken the bike out for more than a 50-60 mile ride in one stretch, this will be 350ish miles. Any recommended precautions for a long road ride? Am I crazy to think I can do this on my little beast? Anybody have experience with alternate routes other than the major highways that won't cost me an extra 100 miles? It'd be great to find a way around the grapevine pass. How long of a trip have you taken your Tdub on? How often do I need to stop to let the bike cool down? Dangerous to keep her going at 55-65mph for extended time? Other than the grapevine its a pretty flat ride. I recently changed oil (running Mobile Vtwin), cleaned carb, new spark plug, cleaned all air, oil, and fuel filters, and sent b-12 chemtool through a few tanks ago. The bike is running like a dream around town but I'm a little nervous on a first extended solo venture. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Your bike sounds well prepared. Others than myself have long distance experience but first thing that comes to mind is take shady breaks occasionally for relief from unrelenting sun and mind and fanny numbing boredom of freeway travel. Once approaching Kings Canyon from Kern River side you will have a blast on the climb up into the park, it is just getting that far that has you concerned? Maybe try the rubber band cruise control on the trottle for a little wrist relief and mental stimulation when open roads permits such goofy distractions?
    A spray tip for a water bottle might help mist you and bike down when heat feels oppressive. Stay hydrated , wear bright light colored well vented gear if possible and expect to be passed frequently.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDTW200 View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of taking the Tdub up to see my family over the long weekend ahead. It's going to be 80-90 degrees out for most of the ride. It's a pretty long stretch through CA's Central Valley. I've never taken the bike out for more than a 50-60 mile ride in one stretch, this will be 350ish miles. Any recommended precautions for a long road ride? Am I crazy to think I can do this on my little beast? Anybody have experience with alternate routes other than the major highways that won't cost me an extra 100 miles? It'd be great to find a way around the grapevine pass. How long of a trip have you taken your Tdub on? How often do I need to stop to let the bike cool down? Dangerous to keep her going at 55-65mph for extended time? Other than the grapevine its a pretty flat ride. I recently changed oil (running Mobile Vtwin), cleaned carb, new spark plug, cleaned all air, oil, and fuel filters, and sent b-12 chemtool through a few tanks ago. The bike is running like a dream around town but I'm a little nervous on a first extended solo venture. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

I have done several 200+ mile days and enjoyed every mile! There are way more guy's on this forum with much more experience than I have however and I am sure they will chime in. Since I will assume, out of hand, that the bike is in perfect working order I will leave that as it is. My first and most important recommendation is plan a route in advance that will keep you around or even below 55mph since this will cause less strain on the engine. Second piece of advice is enjoy the ride. Now that sounds simple, but in our race to get somewhere we normally miss the experience of coming and going to that destination. Make the trip as big a part of your travel plans as the destination is. There must be something to see along the way? An old homestead, a historical museum, a tourist stop. If you are running a stock gas tank you will stop at least three times for fuel alone, try and find interesting places close to the fueling points and go take some pictures. Maybe camp out for a night along the way? The traveling is the adventure..........

Tom
    Fred and littletommy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of taking the Tdub up to see my family over the long weekend ahead.
    No, you're not crazy for wanting to do a long trip on the Tdub. There are several of us that have done long trip on the Tdub. Lizrdbrth and I did 2,000 miles honeymoon trip. TurboRob and his wife is currently traveling the US on two of them. I will be doing a year long trip around North America starting May 2015. We never stopped to cool down the bike but we did stop a lot give ourselves some break. If you live closer to the 15 fwy, I suggest taking that and then the 14 to the 58 and then the 99 to avoid the Grapevine. On that grade, your bike will bog down to about 40 mph to make up there. If you can't avoid it then just stick to be behind a tractor trailer for safety reason.

If you have any questions about the side road up here in the High Desert, let me know and I'll be happy to give you the feel of the area around here.
    littletommy, SDTW200, Fred and 1 others like this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

If you live closer to the 15 fwy, I suggest taking that and then the 14 to the 58 and then the 99 to avoid the Grapevine. On that grade, your bike will bog down to about 40 mph to make up there. If you can't avoid it then just stick to be behind a tractor trailer for safety reason.

If you have any questions about the side road up here in the High Desert, let me know and I'll be happy to give you the feel of the area around here.[/QUOTE]

I live in Ocean Beach SD. I'm not familiar with the route but I'd like to stay off of the 5/grapevine if possible. I'm a little nervous about refueling on the unknown route (14 and 58), I'd love to hear more about the route. Thanks everybody for the quick responses. I'm running an aftermarket tank but it's about 1.8 gallons. Definitely planning to make the ride a big part of the adventure, the 99 is just such a long flat trek.
    littletommy likes this.

If you live closer to the 15 fwy, I suggest taking that and then the 14 to the 58 and then the 99 to avoid the Grapevine. On that grade, your bike will bog down to about 40 mph to make up there. If you can't avoid it then just stick to be behind a tractor trailer for safety reason.

If you have any questions about the side road up here in the High Desert, let me know and I'll be happy to give you the feel of the area around here.
    I live in Ocean Beach SD. I'm not familiar with the route but I'd like to stay off of the 5/grapevine if possible. I'm a little nervous about refueling on the unknown route (14 and 58), I'd love to hear more about the route. Thanks everybody for the quick responses. I'm running an aftermarket tank but it's about 1.8 gallons. Definitely planning to make the ride a big part of the adventure, the 99 is just such a long flat trek.[/QUOTE]

OB my old stomping grounds...yeah baby!
    SDTW200 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I wish I still lived down there! I really miss OB. A TW would be great there. I have spent thousands of hours fishing on the OB pier as a kid and an adult. I have such fond memories of the pier. In fact, I have told my brother to scatter my ashes off the pier after I die, and to sit out there afterwards with a joint and a 40oz to reflect on our good times.
    SDTW200, Dubster and oatmealx like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I wish I still lived down there! I really miss OB. A TW would be great there. I have spent thousands of hours fishing on the OB pier as a kid and an adult. I have such fond memories of the pier. In fact, I have told my brother to scatter my ashes off the pier after I die, and to sit out there afterwards with a joint and a 40oz to reflect on our good times.
    Sounds like a pretty OBecian way to go.
    littletommy likes this.

Doesn't it though..... ha ha lol

Take some extra oil and check it each time you fill up with gas. Have fun, and take some pics for us!
    littletommy likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links