Best GPS value right now?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best GPS value right now?

Best GPS value right now?

What is the best value in a GPS receiver for off-road motorcycle use right now?

There may be information on the forum, but I haven't found much. Help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in this as well.

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Me too.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I sure would like to give you a definitive answer, but there are so many variables and what one person likes doesn't necessarily work for another person. Same goes for value. Someone may think $300 is a good value, and another may think $50 is where the value is. Here are 2 of the many threads on gps and map topics here on the forum. You will find many more posts if you type in the following in a Google search: site:tw200forum.com gps

https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...ggestions.html

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...gle-earth.html

P.S. For what it's worth. The smaller handheld units meant for off-road/hiking are harder to read because of the screen size and in some cases, because us old guys have to wear progressive or bi-focal glasses to see the darn thing. The larger screen models meant for street use are easy to see. Some of these have maps loaded which include most forest service type roads, but not the trails. Some folks are trying to download topo maps to their street gps's, and vice versa, street maps to topo gps's, but I haven't personally seen one yet.
    Last edited by admiral; 09-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Junior Member Yellowtail Charlie's Avatar
    I have a Garmin etrex 20 which will run you about $200. You can download garmins Basecamp program free, its kinda clunky but it works. Then go to GPS File depot.com and download the free topo map for your state. Works like a charm. You will get a 1:24,000 topo on your handheld. The gps screen is a little small, you won't be reading while you ride, but it has served me well in Idaho where one wrong turn can make a big difference. You will be able to download your saved routes from GPS to computer and its really cool to know exactly where you have been as well as distance, elevation change, ave speed etc.

I won't leave home without it. I bought an aftermarket case, clip and lanyard and just clip it to my jacket pocket when riding.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowtail Charlie View Post
    I have a Garmin etrex 20 which will run you about $200. You can download garmins Basecamp program free, its kinda clunky but it works. Then go to GPS File depot.com and download the free topo map for your state. Works like a charm. You will get a 1:24,000 topo on your handheld. The gps screen is a little small, you won't be reading while you ride, but it has served me well in Idaho where one wrong turn can make a big difference. You will be able to download your saved routes from GPS to computer and its really cool to know exactly where you have been as well as distance, elevation change, ave speed etc.

I won't leave home without it. I bought an aftermarket case, clip and lanyard and just clip it to my jacket pocket when riding.

I have the same unit, i got one on closeout at Best buy for 70 bucks which is a heck of a deal. I bought the garmin toop which has a lot of hiking trails and i have downloaded other map tacks like for the puppydog and trans MA trail. I have mine mounted up on a ram mount attached to the handlebar and hard wired it to the battery too. I dont use it on the road much, i have turn by turn in my phone that is also on the bars that will talk bluetooth into my helmet speakers.
    Last edited by jb882; 09-08-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I use a Car Garmin Nuvi 265w that I got off Ebay for $40 used. It will display speed, direction, coordinates and elevation. It's very heard to see in sunlight and that's the reason for the aluminum shield. I'm going to stick it on the windshield so it'll be more vertical and hopefully easier to see. Garmin Nuvi 265W 4 3" Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator | eBayIMG_2912.JPG
    Fred likes this.

I just used my Samsung Galaxy S5 running the OSMAND+ app for the entire Trans-America trail and it worked flawlessly. It makes phone calls to boot!
    howardgene63 likes this.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Got fed up with Garmin's tiny XXXpensive topographic offerings, and for a lot less $$$ bought a 7" Samsung tablet, and downloaded Back Country Navigator.
    It sits in the map compartment of my tank bag.
    I've downloaded all the shop manuals for the 3 Yamahas, I keep books downloaded, it takes great pics and video, works in WIFI spots, and I can actually SEE the thing without taking off my helmet/goggles and putting on reading glasses.

I use an old Garment Quest. Noticed one on ebay yesterday for fifty bucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links