Paradise to the Porkies--- Across Michigan's Upper Peninsula....
Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By JaeStinson
  • 1 Post By Padilen
  • 1 Post By tinman tim
  • 2 Post By JaeStinson
  • 1 Post By JaeStinson
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By B-dub
  • 1 Post By Tirebiter

Thread: Paradise to the Porkies--- Across Michigan's Upper Peninsula....

Paradise to the Porkies--- Across Michigan's Upper Peninsula....

On Labor Day, my Brother and I set off for an adventure trekking across the Upper Peninsula on our dual purpose motorcycles (TW200, CRF 450x). Using Snowmobile/ORV trails as our guide, we navigated through the UP backcountry. From torrential downpours to warm cloud-less days, we experienced it all. We created new friends, and ran into old ones. Most importantly we created lasting memories together, that only perseverance and a thirst for adventure can create.
    Details: 750 miles, Paradise to Christmas, Christmas to Big Bay, Big Bay to Porcupine Mountain State Park (PMSP), PMSP to Marquette, and Marquette to Paradise.
    Scenic Highlights: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Big Bay-Thunder Bay Inn, Mt Arvon, PMSP, Sugar Loaf Mtn.

Performance***My TW ran like a beast! Not one issue mechanically the entire trip. Actually my brother was begging to ride my TW over his 450x. My TDub's advantages include- less vibration at 60 (surprisingly,) far wider/more comfortable seat, handles the extreme pack load better, bigger tires were more suited for the rough/ rocky/ mud laden terrain, lower seat height for obstacles. Just prior to the trip I placed a kenda 760 track master (replacing my Shinko 241- which was great in all but sand) on the front, aired down and worn in, that thing was a life saver..... In the sand, mud, rocks; far superior to the 241.

Crashes***My brother went down probably 6 times in the sand, ruts, and single tracks; all at a slow rate of speed and we were up and moving again in under a minute. I only put my dub on its side twice! In 750 miles of trails/300 miles of sand. I dropped it approaching a trail head, putting across the ruts while turning, my front washed out. The second time I was traveling down a single track and flew off the trail, the huge slope from off/ on trail put the bike on a very steep incline at a stop, and it just tipped over. My crash bars protected the bike during both tip overs, and my bike is still damage free (sigh of relief.)

I highly recommend a long backpacking style trip on a t dub, it really gave me a new sense of appreciation for the Dub. This trip suited the dub perfectly!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by JaeStinson; 09-15-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Padilen, admiral, TW-Brian and 2 others like this.

Did you get whitefish at that little blue shack in Paradise?
    JaeStinson likes this.

Nice pictures and RR. Glad to hear there was nothing damaged ( man/ machine). I too feel the dub is the perfect bike for these type trips. Only question is, how long before your brother gets one?
    JaeStinson likes this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wingnut and biged8 like this.

We didn't get Whitefish at Silver Creek this time, our cabin is in Paradise so we make homemade meals while there. I do get Whitefish there frequently during Snowmobile season.
    Padilen likes this.

JaeStinson likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

rbm
    Sounds like it was a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful pics! I especially like the ones overlooking the lakes. Sounds and looks like you had a great adventure, thanks for sharing it with us.
    JaeStinson likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics and report. I've ridden some of that area along Lake Superior a few years ago....from Deer Park to Big Bay on my XT500. It is beautiful country to share an adventure with your brother and your Tdub.

Sponosred Links