Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: Duck Creek Slickrock Video

Duck Creek Slickrock Video

Duck Creek has dramatic pools, falls , portholes and incised canyons down lower but I like these upper reaches where the stream flows on glaciated bedrock. Makes for a fun creek crossing.

I approached on my last trip by a challenging route but it can also be reached by more reasonable road.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-15-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    old w/??, B-dub and elime like this.

More Rockin out

Occasionally a tuff section intimidates me, especially late in the day. This one I ran next morning with the dogs, they went ahead to sandy creek crossing at foot of this ladder section. I stalled several times with reluctant re-starts, time for TW-Brians kickstarter or a Dial-a-jet like Bananchunks.
    These challenges always look nastier from the top looking down. Going up traction is great on clean granite , sketchy when mud or dirt smeared, so I just find a fairly straight, fairly smooth, fairly clean line and flow up it with a fair amount of commitment. Of course when fear takes over all style goes out the window.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-16-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    elime likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Very beautiful area to ride around in Fred. Is this part of a trail system? If you're stalling, some of these area's MUST be challenging!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The "Ladder" is part of the "Slickrock Trail" another famous northern California extreme jeeper's route like "The Rubicon" or "Fordyce Trail" . Twenty years ago it was doable in a HiLux pick-up but use , snow melt, and the passage of time have turned it into a chewed up mess. Of course twenty years later I am a bit of a chewed up mess myself.
    The above three videos were all done in a belt of exposed lovely but difficult ridable glaciated granite I love to explore extending from yosemite to north of HWY 80 broken up by various wilderness withdrawls. Last weeks trip had me exploring much more than this. Capping the granite batholith at higher elevations is usually rhyolitic and andesite flows with different texture,feel, soils and plants. I'll try to post soon thursday's ride to Reba Ridge to show difference. Below the granites are heavier forests with commensurate deeper soil developement and thus smoother roads and trails, i.e. more dirt, less rocks. I found some nice wooded trails there.
    Further down Sierras are the gold bearing metamorphic belts with lots of ridable mineral exploration roads. The eroded rocks there tend to be more angular and the soils more clay bearing. So much variety to explore on our Trail Wagons.
    My trip resulted from taking my own advice last week after the scolding "quick before it is too late " post I made encouraging us all to enjoy fading days of summer.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-16-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    TW-Brian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Of course twenty years later I am a bit of a chewed up mess myself.
    Haha, aren't we all!
    Fred likes this.

Looks like some fun riding!
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Sponosred Links