October Slickrock Ride
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: October Slickrock Ride

October Slickrock Ride

A few of us have talked of a possible group camp/ride Oct. 3rd thru 5th in the sierras near Bear Valley off hwy 4 and up and over Ebbetts Pass. Evan, Adam-in-nevada,Bananchunks and I have expressed an interest so far.

Now Bananachunks has reserved a truck rental for that time so we need to commit or cancel a.s.a.p.

Now this would be a primative camping affair, nearest restaurants or motels are not near at all. We would all have to be fairly self-sufficient campers. Most campgrounds are most likely closed already but there are many campsites we could drive to , meet up and group camp. If I go I can contribute a bunch of gear and guiding but can not really host like from Verdi. If I haul Adam's bike I will be sleeping in the dirt like rest of you. Who has a motorhome?

I am on the fence about going as I have another trip laid on for next weekend I had forgotten about. How about you guys? We owe it to George to keep or cancel his rent a truck.
    pros: nice moonlight, probable fall colors, beautiful ride, sitting around campfire with y'all, one more adventure before colder fall weather.
    cons: short days, possible cold nights and morning, primative camping considerations, short notice.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-22-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Note: Riding dificulty is flexible depending on our whim but will take into account George's street tire. He should be able to go to 80%+ of places I posted last week.

Edit: Installed kickstarter in Betty Boop this evening. Will be nice to have a recycled piece of an older TW to improve my more "modern" 2003 in order to bring it up(down?) to twentieth century standards. The security and starting flexibility afforded by the new kickstarter will give me more confidence afield, after all batteries eventually die anyways.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-22-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    bananachunks likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Have fun, I'll have to sit this one out as I'm going to South Lake Tahoe for three days w/buddies from college starting Friday (awesome planning), then working on a five day 4wd trip later. Need to score some points so I can plan and execute the Redbluff ride.
    Josh
    Fred likes this.
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can't get out of work commitment that weekend. This does sound like a good time. Has a date for Red Bluff been decided on?

Joe

So it sounds like this is probably not going to be the best timing for a trip, then? I was on the fence myself, but was going to have no choice in the matter if I couldn't get the truck (or Friday off). I lose nothing ($$) by canceling the truck, so please do not feel like this has to happen even though it's better not to. Maybe there will be more Wrench and Rides coming up, as well as this Red Bluff thing I keep hearing about
    Fred likes this.

Sorry fellas. Haven't been checking the forum as of late. I could really be down for one more Sierra Nevada ride before I switch over to snowboarding mentality. I'll check with the woman tonight and see. To my knowledge (I'm always forgetting something) I've got nothing on the calendar.

B-chunks - you could catch a ride from the east bay with me in the tacoma. There's easily room for two bikes plus camping gear.

Fred - I love primitive camping and I've got plenty of gear so I'll count your "con" as a "pro" in my book. Would it be a base camp setup and ride from out and back? Or ride with camping gear and camp out away from the trucks? Just curious if I need to push up my rear rack purchase or not.

I'll let you guys know tonight. I'd love to get up and ride, especially if we see some beautiful fall colors.

Dale
    bananachunks likes this.

I thought we would all drive loaded up pick-ups to a no fee primitive campsite by Utica Resivoir. 2 porta-potties so no waiting, fire pit and sheltering pines. We would all arrive friday, unload bikes and set up camp. Maybe local ride a bit but big ride saturday back to Hwy4 then east over Ebbetts Pass (8700'?) and down to Carson River and back detouring several times for roadside lakes and dirt road destinations, nothing too challenging. Highland Lakes, Pacific Valley, Bear Valley Ski Resort, Reba Ridge, Alpine Lake, Elephant Rock Lake, Spicer New Meadows And Union Lakes are all worth a look on TW and/or Google Earth.
    I will call Bear Valley tomorrow and see if they are open for fuel, snacks, bar, restaurant and report back. Maybe they know of any open businesses within twenty miles. Otherwise we are self sufficient, no worries as long as Mike brings beer.
    I will be giving Adam and his TW a lift in my ratty old Toyota from Reno.
    Totally awesome of Boarder 255 to give Bananachunks a lift.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Great! Bananachunks and I will arrange to get up there Friday evening sometime and share some campfire talk and cold beverages in preparation for a good long ride on Saturday. More dirt the better. Just got a pierelli mt21 front that I'd like to put to the test. I'll bring provisions to last through sunday. Would we do a short ride Sundays well? Or just pack camp and get out of there?

looking forward to it guys!

Does this mean you were cleared for the weekend?

Mike is coming too once he returns from current camping trip. Snow possible this weekend will keep dust down,.smoke from fires too. Makes for interesting sunsets.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-26-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    bananachunks likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links