TW necessities out in the wild....?
Close

TW necessities out in the wild....?

What are the suggested "bring alongs" while 'adventuring'. By adventuring, I mean, couple days out, not lengthy 1 week trips. Though the same may apply to either.

I would like to get to a point where I could ride somewhere to camp for a night, maybe two

Not planning on replacing the gas tank for a while, so I'll be looking into external fuel carriers. Cyclerack on order, though I have not heard from them. Once that arrives, I figure something out for storage.

My eventuality, is that I'll be leaving the PacNW for a new unit next summer, I'll want to bring the TW with me and hit some ORV parks along the way, or whatever places I can find.....So between now and then I want to set myself up for a successful and fun cross country trip.

As part of that preparation, I want to do some small 1-day excursions around the OlyPen while I can.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Obvious philosophy is to minimize weight and bulk whenever possible. Bivy bag shelter, down bag, 3/4 sleeping pad can all reduce big bulk if camping overnight compared to full size options. Compression bags help keep things tight and compact. A tank bag, fanny pack,or backpack can keep frequently needed items close at hand so that you are not digging and repacking throughout day for camera, snack, beverage, sunsceeen, map, whatever.
    I would test pack and load in advance, then re-evaluate and maybe cull what you take because Murphy's Law corollary#2 states that the mess will usually expand to fill the available space. You have back-packing gear or experience?
    Lots of more experienced riders here than me, somebody help nunya with itemized suggestions.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

A tool kit more expanded than the factory one would be essential. I pack tools that i can use to do just about any basic roadside repair. I pack wrenches and a few sockets to fit any fastener on the bike, screwdrivers, pliers etc, a set of tire irons, a patch kit for tubes, a pump for tires, a spark plug or two. I also carry along an extra master link's and a small chain breaker just in case. I want to make sure that if i break down i can un-break down and get home barring a catastrophic engine failure.
    Last edited by jb882; 09-23-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When i was riding in Bald Eagle forest, PA, i carried a fuel bottle. That is one big forest where i could easily lose track of the turns and intersections i came across. Tire patch, tire spoons/levers, CO2 tanks or a bicycle pump, handguards, folding shift lever, Risk Racing fork seal doctor for leaks, chain lube (also to lube tube if it gets punctured, will make tube fitting easy), RAM X-grip to hold smartphone, 12V charger outlet installed on battery, ROK straps for securing cargo to rear rack (very simple, easy to take cargo off, sold in bicycle stores)

Speaking of the 'factory tool case', where is this thing?

Behind the right side cover.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Whatever you put your equipment in make it waterproof not water resistant.

I'll probably not ever have my TW on an overnighter or be more than 100 miles from my house, but I carry a large 20 oz Slime Quick Spare in an Agri-fab tool tube and more than a quart of fuel in another one to get me back to civilization. I also carry a small first aid kit and some tools along with a few bottles of water.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Sponosred Links