Close

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 1 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 1 Post By Joemama
  • 1 Post By Joemama

Thread: Slow ride.

Slow ride.

So today was 75 degrees, sunny, light breeze. Perfect day for a ride to explore and enjoy some fall colors. I did what will likely be my last oil change of the year yesterday and aired up the tires for some dedicated pavement riding today. My wife was just laying down for a nap so no rush to get back home. I pretty much stuck to the pavement with just a few miles of dirt roads mixed in here and there. I was on call for my job so I couldn't be out of cell phone range for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time. My favorite dirt roads seem to lye just outside of cell coverage which is normally a good thing but not good for "on call" weekends. The hills are just so beautiful this time of year I did not feel like I was missing out on anything. Some great views from the paved back roads and you can see for miles.

Cell phone pics will never do this view any justice. It doesn't matter to me if I get good photo's as I can close my eyes and see the view's but I would love for you guy's out west to get a good look at what upstate NY looks like. What a perfect day.

I crossed this creek just to say I did a water crossing Got to the other side and turned around as there was nowhere to go because of a nearly vertical creek bank. I did however walk down the creek a bit as I had never been below this point.

Pretty little creek that seemed to widen a bit down below me. I know this creek feeds the west branch of Owego creek and there are some fine brown trout as well as some native brookies. The location these two creeks join one another is only about 3/4 of a mile from here so I would not be at all surprised to find some small brookies in this stream. I had zero cell coverage here so I had to leave.

Took this photo just to post a wave goodbye. I hope these look decent as there is no preview feature. Now get out and ride before it is too late!

Tom
    Padilen, old w/??, Fred and 5 others like this.

Beautiful Ride Tom, everything looks so lush and green. I like the no-decal look of your bike. Your helmet clean white also?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Beautiful Ride Tom, everything looks so lush and green. I like the no-decal look of your bike. Your helmet clean white also?

Can't you tell from the old school selfie at the end??? No actually it is flat black. It should match nicely with the black Clarke fuel tank I am working on obtaining.

Tom
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Tom, thanks for the great ride report and photos. As an "out west guy" it is indeed a pleasure to see the beauty of Up State New York again. I think it is true to say that many of us develope preconcieved ideas of places we have never been and the people that live there. I know that I have done this. In 1997 my wife and I were touring the US on our 25th anniversary. The baseball hall of fame was on our list of must see places. Being as I am, I didn't have high hopes for the rest of the state. Boy was I wrong! We now have nothing but admiration for the beauty of the country side, and more importantly, the way we were treated by the people in New York. People several times went above and beyond, in helping us while visiting. I like to think that I am now more open minded about what and who I don't know. Up State New York is indeed fantastic!!

Joemama
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Hi Tom, thanks for the great ride report and photos. As an "out west guy" it is indeed a pleasure to see the beauty of Up State New York again. I think it is true to say that many of us develope preconcieved ideas of places we have never been and the people that live there. I know that I have done this. In 1997 my wife and I were touring the US on our 25th anniversary. The baseball hall of fame was on our list of must see places. Being as I am, I didn't have high hopes for the rest of the state. Boy was I wrong! We now have nothing but admiration for the beauty of the country side, and more importantly, the way we were treated by the people in New York. People several times went above and beyond, in helping us while visiting. I like to think that I am now more open minded about what and who I don't know. Up State New York is indeed fantastic!!

Joemama

I have been fortunate to have seen many different parts of the globe. Some good, some not so much. The one common denominator is this, There are very good people in BAD places and very BAD people in good places. I try to find the good in everyone no matter their surroundings. Thank you for the compliments too by the way. I drive 40,000 miles a year for my job. That is a running average over 12 years. I am often embarrassed by how little I notice vs. how much I see I am sure there is no shortage of beauty in your riding area. How about some pics?

Tom

I see positive in most places I have traveled. I prefer state routes to the interstates, but also enjoy the interstates. I try real hard to avoide big citys. I have not caught the photo bug so I have no photos to post. I need to change that. There are many pictures of this area on ride reports by, Fred, JoeBand, Evan, TWBrian and others. The NorCal group rides have been well documented. Your green verses our brown sure looks good.

Joe
    Fred likes this.

i'll second joemama's comments, beautiful countryside and thanks for sharing. as you said there are beautiful sites and people all around, sometimes in our own backyard that we just forget to admire.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    I see positive in most places I have traveled. I prefer state routes to the interstates, but also enjoy the interstates. I try real hard to avoide big citys. I have not caught the photo bug so I have no photos to post. I need to change that. There are many pictures of this area on ride reports by, Fred, JoeBand, Evan, TWBrian and others. The NorCal group rides have been well documented. Your green verses our brown sure looks good.

Joe
    And here I thought Fred only rode in the foothills of heaven!? So he is a mere mortal? Interesting. I should have known because he is a terrible shoe salesman!

Tom

I too was very impressed with beauty of upstate New York and it's citizenry when I visited. Totally belied my pre-conceived negative bias, don't know why I thought it would all be like New York City. Picking wild blueberries was a tasty treat I'll not soon forget.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links