Horizon Unlimited 2014
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horizon Unlimited 2014

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar

Horizon Unlimited 2014

Hi Everyone,

Once again, I attended the Horizon Unlimited California event which was held at the Mariposa Fairground near Yosemite. It's a premier overland event for motorcyclists. There were over 350 attendees.

I took two days getting up there and two days getting back..here is the map of the route I took.

HU Route Map.jpg

On the way there:

Day One = Hwy 395 to Route 178 to Route 155

Day Two = Route 155 to Route 43 to Route 198 to Route 41 to Route 49

On the way home:

Day One = Hwy 41

Day Two = Hwy 395

First stop is Freedom Junction which is where Explorer Joseph R. Walker passed through the intersection of Hwy 14 and Hwy 178. This intersection is also known as the Indian trails which he found in 1834 after discovering Walker Pass. After the '49er parties escape from Death Valley, they split up here to either go west or south to the California gold fields. Also this intersection is where bandit Tiburcio Vasquez preyed on stages and freighters traveling between the Kern River mines and Los Angles and the mines of Bodie and the Panamints.

The second stop is Walker Pass, this here has an unusual clusters of Joshua Trees. They were densely packed against one another.

The third stop is Lake Isabella, I stopped so you can see how much we're in a drought. The lake is very low and at 14% of it's capacity level.

The fourth stop is Onyx, CA which only have a population of 475. The store is full of nicks knacks.

The last stop for the night is Glennville.

Padilen, ZDR1, PlacerLode and 14 others like this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

Day Two was mostly flat farm lands except I stopped at Colonel Allensworth State Park

In 1908, Colonel Allen Allensworth and four other settlers established a town 30 miles north of Bakersfield, CA. This town was founded, financed and governed by African Americans. Their dream of developing an abundant and thriving community stemmed directly from a strong belief in programs that allowed blacks to help themselves and create better lives.

I finally arrived at the HU event at the Mariposa fairground.

Where I got to meet Russ' idol, Craig Vetters.

His company created aftermarket motorcycle fairings in the 70's before manufacturers themselves included fairings on their products. The product has been cited as once being so ubiquititous that the term "Windjammer" was interchangeable with "fairing". At one time his company was the second largest motorcycle industry manufacturer in the US behind Harley-Davidson.

I also got to meet Doug Wothke, known in the motorcycle industry as "Around-The-World Doug". He has been around the world on a motorcycle 4 times! He rode different bike on each journey such as a 1948 Indian Chief, a Harley-Davidson Panhead, a Sportster dirt-bike conversion and a rigid shovel-head. Doug's most recent adventure crossing was the TAT on a 1989 Harley-Davidson with side car.

I attended many other sessions as well.

Here is our group shot before everyone hit the road.

"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

After spending 3 days of attending sessions and hanging out with famous motorcycle travelers. It was time to hit the road to head home. I got to ride with the Adventuretrio who is heading down to South America.

We took off to ride through Yosemite Valley and planned on camping at Benton Hot Springs.

....however due to a late start and mechanical issue..none of us got there.

Yep, I broke my throttle cable halfway through the trip home.

Ranger hanging out with me while waiting for the tow truck. It never came because it kept being diverted to accidents due to the snow. So the Ranger took me to a camp ground to hunker down for the night. We had to leave the bike on the side of the road. Once I got the tent set up, I walked over to the gas station to call my son from a pay phone since we had no cell reception to come pick me up with the trailer. A reason to get a Spot or the InReach so you can send SOS messages.

While waiting for him...I met a fellow rider who also broke down due to the ignition coil. His friend showed up and they decided to fetch my bike to take it back to the campground.

My son finally arrived at 3 am to take me home!

All in all, it was an adventure! I learned a lot at the event and learned a lot on the trip itself. I need to do some fine tuning to get ready for my trip next year.
    PlacerLode, B-dub, Fred and 8 others like this.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow what a great adventure thanks for sharing!!!
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    Wow what a great adventure thanks for sharing!!!
    +1!!!

Great adventure and great to see you are out and about after your loss. I love hearing about all the helpful people we have in our MC communities all over this country. Sometimes I feel like a heal because when I see a biker on the side of the road I almost always stop to see if they need help, most times they are just having a smoke and I am an intruder but I've also gone home for my trailer and done a couple rescues. No cell service here either so a brake down can be an adventure.

Keep on rolling PPE

GaryL
    dette likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Oh Purple you are really a throttle twisting adventurer, so much you broke your poor little cable in two. I wonder how many miles you put on that cable before she let go. Too bad. Glad others came to your assistance on a rare rainy night as Yosemite is supposed to more fun than stuck broken down on side of road. Bummer.
    There is a way to exchange push for pull cables to jury rig a replacement throttle cable in an emergency in case anyone else ever has similar break-down.
    It is easy to always be trying to twist a little more power out of our TWs it is no wonder we tear heads off of throttle cables. For me I fear I will break my shifter as I am always pulling up with my toe for that elusive sixth gear.
    Great report and photos, sounds like a lot of fun until the break-down.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-30-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Mel
    Great story and photos Purple.
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    There is a way to exchange push for pull cables to jury rig a replacement throttle cable in an emergency in case anyone else ever has similar break-down.
    It is easy to always be trying to twist a little more power out of our TWs it is no wonder we tear heads off of speedo cables. For me I fear I will break my shifter as I am always pulling up with my toe for that elusive sixth gear.
    We were going to try to jerry rig it but with no shoulder where I broke down and the storm getting worse. I told the other riders to go on ahead so they wouldn't get stuck. The pic you saw was me walking the bike about a 1/2 mile to an area that had a ditch with the Ranger driving behind me. I will need to learn how to jerry rig it but more importantly I will carry an extra clutch and throttle cable with me on my trip.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who tries to shift into the elusive sixth gear.

Hidden Content

Pretty cool. Meeting Doug would be great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links