Silver Creek - Latter the Search and Rescue was called off
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Silver Creek - Latter the Search and Rescue was called off

Silver Creek - Later the Search and Rescue was called off

This turned out to be quite the adventure. My son and I went for a ride this past Monday. We left at 11:00 a.m. and were gonna be back at the trailhead no later than 6:00 p.m. that day!

Prologue:

As we pulled into the trailhead at 5:30 a.m. TUESDAY morning, I saw some parking lights on a vehicle next to my truck. When we stopped, my wife came running over to me, asked if I was ok, threw her arms around me, kissed me, told me she loved me. Then she said I gotta call the Valley County Sheriff's Department and call off the Search and Rescue! We were way overdue, but I had no idea the wheels were turning back home!

As Paul Harvey would say, "Here's the rest of the story".

The adventure begins. The plane was a ride the trail up to Silver Creek Summit, continue on to Bull Creek trail up near Rice Peak Lookout, and then ride Telephone Ridge. Time permitting, we would take the Sixteen to One trail connect to the Lower Portion of Bull Creek trail, thus making a loop. We ended up riding the loop. Barely!

Here is my son and the bike's at the Peace Creek trailhead Monday morning.

Silver Creek Summit. No ATV's beyond this point.

The trail heading down off the summit to Bull Creek.

Bridge at Bull Creek

The bridge is one of the things our off-road sticker money goes too.

Bull Creek from the bridge

Rice Peak L.O. as we approach

Our approach for lunch

Rice Peak L.O. from our lunch spot

Time for lunch

and map reading

Looking down at the bikes from our peaceful lunch spot

Part of Telephone Ridge we ride after lunch

Departing after lunch

Telephone Ridge trail

Long Lake as seen from the trail

More to come
    Last edited by admiral; 12-09-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Fred, bananachunks, evan and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Kris, you have us on pins and needles worried and wondering what happened to you and your leg. I don't see any warm clothing for overnighting in the back-country in those otherwise beautiful photos. This sounds like it has all the elements of an epic post. Let me add my best wishes for a speedy recovery to what will surely be a long list from your fans.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hope you will be ok Admiral!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Silver Creek ride continued.

At 3:35 p.m. we believe we have time to ride Sixteen to One and Lower Bull Creek trails and head back to the rigs. No problem!!!

Sixteen to One trailhead. Admiral gets to ride the KTM 450 EXE for a little trail action (Note I'm still smiling)

The only easy part of Sixteen to One that I remember!

Things go south!

No photo, but short after this while back on the TW. My right foot caught the side of the hillside, ripped my foot rearward, then the TW fell on it. My
    ankle is pointing back while the rest of my body is headed forward. I remember yelling help a bunch of times before Kyle got to me to lift the TW off
    my foot/leg. I was in a little pain!

Kyle's turn.

Kyle hits something which pitches him off the trail tumbling down the bank to the creek! This was not good.

You can see his tire tracks end in the trail and his KTM down by the creek. Thank goodness he's not hurt. One hurting rider is bad enough.

Here is where we (Kyle) cleared the brush so we can get the KTM back on the trail. I'll tell you it was not easy pushing and pulling that KTM back up the bank.

When darkness set in, we knew we were (in trouble, over our head, inexperienced, stupid etc.) to have continued, but we did (or had too)!

With darkness, a trail we shouldn't be on, me hurt, we didn't think things could get worse...but they did. The trail had some really nasty surprises for us.

This is the last picture I took as I needed to take the batteries out of the camera and put in the GPS. This is looking downhill at one of the most steepest,
    tree root infested sections of the trail. It took us about 2 hours to push and pull both bikes up over it.

To give you a timeline perspective. It took us from 3:45 to 11:30 p.m. just to reach the lower Bull Creek trail junction. From 11:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. to reconnect to the
    main trail we road earlier in the day. Then another hour just to get back at the Peace Creek trailhead.

Oh, and to make matters worse and worser, the KTM's headlight wasn't working and we ran out of water. Hope I don't get sick, we drank creek water latter on. We had too!

I have a bunch of video to post from the "daylight" part of the ride once I get it edited.

This is a ride I'll not soon forget!
    Last edited by admiral; 10-15-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    elime likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Kris, you have us on pins and needles worried and wondering what happened to you and your leg. I don't see any warm clothing for overnighting in the back-country in those otherwise beautiful photos. This sounds like it has all the elements of an epic post. Let me add my best wishes for a speedy recovery to what will surely be a long list from your fans.
    You know, with limited space to carry stuff, (and right now I can think of a whole bunch of stuff to take), we didn't plan to be out after curfew, so we didn't take any extra cloths. Kyle did have a jacket, but it was not needed. We kept moving ever so slowly, but we both kept sweating and never got cold. Even in the dark it felt like 70-80 degree's to us. It wasn't until we got back to the trailhead that my wife said it was 31 degree's out and my truck had frost on the windshield. But we never got cold!

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Hope you will be ok Admiral!
    Everything is ok. I've only sprained my ankle real bad. Bruised, swollen, and I'm limping, but otherwise in good shape. Well almost. Few years ago I went riding with Ron in the Danskins. Our muscles were so sore I named the video "Tylenol Run". Muscle wise I would call this "Morphine Run". Every muscle in my body hurts including my fingers. Death grip you know! Giggle.
    Fred and Hoot Gibson like this.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    WHEW!! what a story! Glad to hear you are both OK. It just goes to show you that regular, everyday journeys can go bad pretty fast. One of the reasons I carry a Spot locator.
    Fred and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by troll View Post
    WHEW!! what a story! Glad to hear you are both OK. It just goes to show you that regular, everyday journeys can go bad pretty fast. One of the reasons I carry a Spot locator.
    So interesting you mentioned this. Because of the cost, my wife has been against getting me a Spot locator. Because of this ride, my wife is getting me a Spot locator!

She mentioned this to me at the trailhead. Apparently a real world experience has changed her mind.

I should also mention that I've always told someone where I'm riding. This is why she was able to locate the trailhead I parked at. In addition, I gotta give a hugh kudos to my daughter. She jumped on the computer, located my GPS Planning program (which she has never used before), found the file of the ride I planned and printed a map off for my wife when she came looking for me. Was gonna provide the SAR folks with my route. Not as good as the spot, but at least someone was gonna know where to look.
    bananachunks likes this.

Admiral, your wife and daughter must have been so worried but they did an admirable job rounding up the posse so to speak. Level headed ladies. Glad you and Kyle made it out eventually, that must have been a very painful hill to negotiate in the last pic. KTM = Kill The Master?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thank God everyone is no worse for wear. Just a tiny little sling pack or fanny pack that takes up very little space would have been a real comfort to have with you. This gives me an idea for a new thread. Glad to hear you and your boy are OK. Heal quickly.

Tom
    admiral likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links