Fins and Things Group Ride Video
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fins and Things Group Ride Video

Fins and Things Group Ride Video

Day Three Bret took the League of Extraordinary Larrys, Lori, Admiral and myself to Fins and Things where my ATV tire did very well in the sand. Once we realized the slopes were not slippery at all we motored around like pros on the fins, but struggled a bit in the loose sand. Later we ran Porcupine Rim which was not as scenic but much more tiring; I have some video of it to share but as usual I forgot to turn on camera for the challenging bits, was too focused on survival.

Lots of pretty scenery above Moab.
    P1010100.JPGP1010101.JPGP1010082.JPGP1010081.JPGP1010074.JPG
    Last edited by Fred; 03-29-2015 at 08:18 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

That looks like a lot of fun!!!!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Afterwards Bret took us up this Porcupine Rim Trail which had some good technical challenges on the taller rocky steps. On one where we stacked rocks I picked a line a little too close to an escarpment and got scraped clean right off the bike, broke poor Betty's clutch lever too.
    ZDR1, grewen, admiral and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

More great videos Fred! Your bike sounds like it was running fine. Can't pick up on any timing issues. As Tony said, guess if it was running lean you could have damaged your piston. Hope the repair is a quick one. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

You did another great job portraying the Porcupine Rim trail. Most of the trail we rode was fun an interesting. Of course we had a few spots which gave us trouble. Good thing we were in a nice big group so we could help each other out. One of the things I'll always remember about not only this trail, but all of 'em, are the "steps". I've seen a few steps on trails before, but the degree of difficulty and quantity definetly kept your attention to the task at hand.

And to think, we only rode a portion of the Porcupine Trail. It went on for quite a while and even divided into several more "lesser used" trails...according to the map! We left lots of trails on the table for the "next" trip!

You've done a great job putting the video's together. Thanks a bunch for sharing them.

Thank You Kris. Thursday I went back and re-rode first section in the reverse direction and it seemed much easier going down some of the steps. However Borneo's bike being new to me was a handful in the sand, my ATV tire has spoiled me with it's floatation. I also re-rode all of Fins and Things and it was a joy not to have the terror of the first encounter with the steep slopes, a little familiarity and confidence makes all the difference, removes the sense of unknown. Hell's Revenge with Borneo's squirmy and squirrelly front tire totally intimidated me as one starts immediately climbing a miniature Lions Back steep narrow ridge where the terrain falls off on either side. At one point I considered deliberately getting a flat on some cactus just to have an excuse to quit... Darn, most of my camera's photos are over 5mb file size, too big to post. Anyone know how to trim resolution of crop image on an Apple using iPhoto?
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Thank You Kris. Thursday I went back and re-rode first section in the reverse direction and it seemed much easier going down some of the steps. However Borneo's bike being new to me was a handful in the sand, my ATV tire has spoiled me with it's floatation. I also re-rode all of Fins and Things and it was a joy not to have the terror of the first encounter with the steep slopes, a little familiarity and confidence makes all the difference, removes the sense of unknown. Hell's Revenge with Borneo's squirmy and squirrelly front tire totally intimidated me as one starts immediately climbing a miniature Lions Back steep narrow ridge where the terrain falls off on either side. At one point I considered deliberately getting a flat on some cactus just to have an excuse to quit... Darn, most of my camera's photos are over 5mb file size, too big to post. Anyone know how to trim resolution of crop image on an Apple using iPhoto?
    Not an Apple guy so this caused me some discomfort.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2639

Tom
    Fred likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I'll have to remember the cactus trick for the future. Lori wants to ride Hell's Revenge when we return one day. I'm still intimidated by the thought of riding it. Saw that picture of the very steep and very long incline at the trailhead. Yikes!

Can't help with the apple re-size as I've never had an apple computer. With my PC, I resize my photo's with Microsoft Office Picture Manager before uploading to picasa/google web.

Thanks Tom. I'll try later your solution at end of day. Mighty helpfull of you to search for me, 'tis appreciated.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Thanks Tom. I'll try later your solution at end of day. Mighty helpfull of you to search for me, 'tis appreciated.
    I love ya Fred but that was the most self serving thing I will do all day!

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links