Gear on a stripped down T-Dub
Close

Hi all!

I am going to be heading out on (off) the road in a bit here, and am looking for ways to mount my crap to my bike, since I don't have the tail section of the bike. I've got a bungee net I will be using on the back of the seat, but no tank bag, saddlebags, or racks. Ideas? If no, I'll make it work anyhow.

Thanks!

Howdy,

Mounting gear on your will be somewhat limited, especially with no tail section. Obvious as thats why you are asking the question. giggle. One option that I use, would be a tank bag of your choosing. I happen to already have a horn bag used for a horse/mule saddle, that I also use on my TW. I am able to put it around my gas cap, which keeps it secure. Mine is a bit large, but I have had no problems with any contact or cooling issues with the engine, and plan to continue to use this tank bag for most of my outings. Holds quite a bit of stuff and has 2 water bottle slots. Course, there are many many types of tank bags to choose from and they sure would come in handy in your limited cargo capability.

Another thought is a backpack. I and probably many other riders have used a backpack both for street and off-road use. This winter I got a bird hunters suspender pack. Not really sure what to call it. I wanted something slightly different than the average backpack. The front part has 2-3 inch suspenders which have a main belt type buckle and a chest strap buckle to hold the suspenders from falling off the shoulders. Attached down around the buckle on each side, it has various storage compartments and one with lined pockets for your hands. These storage compartments are originally used for ammo and suff like that, but I use them for other small things.

The back part of the vest is for putting in birds, and is sort of like a back pack. I use it to put in various larger items and water. If it gets hot out, I can stuff my jacket in the back or vice versa. Also the rear compartment is expandable. I haven't used it riding on the TW, but I took a 5 mile hike with it a couple of days ago and am very please with the outcome.

If I can find a photo on-line of the product, I will post it here for your reference.

Also was wondering if you have enough room to attached those Agri-storage tubes Truelight and others have attached to various parts of the TW.

Anyway, just a couple of options I use because my dog rides on back of the TW and takes up all my cargo area.

I chose this one to keep the vest contact area to my body minimized so I wouldn't overheat or sweat while wearing it.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I have a fanny-pack that I occasionally strap on to the headlight housing. It's designed to hold a pistol but also has room for a small digital camera and other small stuff.

Backpack's work well too. Mine is a Voodoo Tactical Level III Assault Pack. It was $50 at the Military Surplus Store in Bend, OR. Or you can get them online:

http://www.voodootac...l-backpack.aspx

The tank bag/saddle bag suggestion is a good one. There's a thread on here about with info on the Walmart saddle bags that are only like $20 or so... (There's a pic in the thread of my bike with the Walmart saddle bags and my fanny-pack installed)

http://tw200forum.co...h__1#entry10847
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral's vest idea is a good one from a perspective of lower center of gravity than a typical backpack. Such vests are indeed used by hunters, but also as cruiser vests by forstry folks and surveyors. A small tool bag on the front bars, a tank bag of whatever description you choose on the tank and a bit in a fanny pack, vest or backpack might do it, better than counting on the bungie net holding things. I've seen a lot of stuff come out of those nets and you are particularly vulnerable by having a limited and somewhat pliable base for that stuff to vibrate around on.

One option instead of a typical daypack would be one of the new bandolier style packs (only 1 strap diagonal across your chest). Again can be worn low and will typically stay put. Many options and all depend on what it is you want to carry and for how long in what kind of weather. Good luck. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Be careful strapping anything on the back fender...

http://www.katu.com/news/19101849.html
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

A backpack works just fine for me. Tools, lunch, water and anything else I feel like stuffing into it.

Sponosred Links