Owl Canyon Campground - Barstow Area - April 16th
Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hey So. Cal TW and dual sport friends. I’m planning a dual sport camping and riding trip for the weekend of April 16th and hope some other riders can join. Owl Canyon Campground is part of the Rainbow Basin Natural Area and is managed by the BLM.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/basin.html

I’ll get to camp on Friday afternoon and leave on Sunday morning. A couple of people camping with me will not be riding.

Rainbow basin and points north are amazing. I’m familiar with the route planned for that day. It’s all going to be fairly easy 2 track - low gear stuff - all off pavement. We’ll ride from Rainbow Basin north-west around the back of Opal Mountain, past Inscription Canyon and on to the western most Superior Dry Lake just south of the Fort Irwin boundary. Along the way we’ll see some petro glyphs, old mines, wells and several interesting camping spots used by people over the years. Loads of challenging obstacles await those inclined. I however prefer to take it slow on the path of least resistance and will stop often to see the sights. Hopefully the desert will be in bloom then.

I’m thinking 10:00 am departure from camp and return mid afternoon some time – we’ll see what the group wants and what the weather is. It’s quite possible to arrange a support vehicle from camp to meet us out near the Fort Irwin boundary with fuel and late lunch picnic supplies if we plan to extend our adventure past the range of a stock TW tank. Either way we can complete the basic 80 to 90 mile loop by returning to camp via Copper City Road. Good times!

I just hiked Owl Canyon several weeks ago, about 2 miles to the top and saw motorcycle tracks in the area. I had made plans to go with the TW to do a little more exploring. This sounds perfect, I will be traveling from Bakersfield and look for you in the campground on the morning of the 16th.

Sounds good. I figure a 10:00 am start time is good for anyone arriving that morning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My life sucks, just handed my work schedule for April. Sorry I won’t be able to make it on the 16th. Thanks anyway.

I live locally and would love to meet new tdubbers, still have to get my work schedule for that month but will put on my calendar and try to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbalouey View Post
    I live locally and would love to meet new tdubbers, still have to get my work schedule for that month but will put on my calendar and try to make it.

Greenalder, Looks like I will be there on Friday with Jimbo through Monday am. Will my 5th wheel make it to camp and is there enough room to park and camp it there? Looking forward to riding with you again.

Ronnydog

I'm in. Not sure how it will all work yet cuz I gotta collect Purple from LAX on Friday night, but I/We will be there.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Excellent!

Ronny,the BLM says that the sites there are big enough for a 5th wheel. The 2 or 3 miles in from Irwin road (Fossil Bed Road) is wide washboard so you should have no trouble. All sites including the one group site they have are 1st come 1st serve.

Link with pic:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/camping.html

I'll try to get there as early as possible on Friday to see what the deal is. I've not camped in Owl Canyon but know the area to the north pretty well. Important: Fossil Bed Road is off of Irwin Road and not FORT Irwin Road.

Good call on getting the right road.

Actually there are two ways to get in there which amount to 6 of one, half dozen of the other. The second would be slightly less hassle with the fifth wheel, but a real pain if you missed the turn.

The first is to take I15 to Barstow Rd. north til it ends at Main St., left to 1st. St., then over the bridge past the Harvey House and Rt. 66 Museum (site of our wedding ), left on IRWIN Rd. to Fossil Bed Rd., then left.

The second is probably more direct but a bit tricky if you miss the turn:

I15 to the FORT IRWIN exit. Left on FORT IRWIN Rd. (FORT IRWIN Rd. skirts south of the Calico Mountains and the town of Calico) eventually intersecting IRWIN Rd. at an oblique angle. This turn is really easy to miss apparently, since everyone I've ever sent this way gets lost. LOL. Turn left on IRWIN Rd., then south ( Back toward Barstow) then RIGHT (west) on Fossil Bed Rd. (dirt, washboardish, but wide). Follow the signs to Owl Cyn.

Miss the turn and you'll eventually be greeted by surly guys with no sense of humor dressed in funny clothes, bearing M16's and equipped with hot lights and uncomfortable chairs. FT. IRWIN Rd. will take you to the front gate of FT. IRWIN.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Good call on getting the right road.

Actually there are two ways to get in there which amount to 6 of one, half dozen of the other. The second would be slightly less hassle with the fifth wheel, but a real pain if you missed the turn.

The first is to take I15 to Barstow Rd. north til it ends at Main St., left to 1st. St., then over the bridge past the Harvey House and Rt. 66 Museum (site of our wedding ), left on IRWIN Rd. to Fossil Bed Rd., then left.

The second is probably more direct but a bit tricky if you miss the turn:

I15 to the FORT IRWIN exit. Left on FORT IRWIN Rd. (FORT IRWIN Rd. skirts south of the Calico Mountains and the town of Calico) eventually intersecting IRWIN Rd. at an oblique angle. This turn is really easy to miss apparently, since everyone I've ever sent this way gets lost. LOL. Turn left on IRWIN Rd., then south ( Back toward Barstow) then RIGHT (west) on Fossil Bed Rd. (dirt, washboardish, but wide). Follow the signs to Owl Cyn.

Miss the turn and you'll eventually be greeted by surly guys with no sense of humor dressed in funny clothes, bearing M16's and equipped with hot lights and uncomfortable chairs. FT. IRWIN Rd. will take you to the front gate of FT. IRWIN.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links