2010 Fuzzy Beaver Rally Oct. 16 and 17 in WNC
Close

Its back the 4th annual Fuzzy Beaver Rally held out of Crawfords Campground http://www.crawfordsattellico.com outside Murphy, NC. This is a dual sport ride in the mountains of NC and TN and sometimes we wonder into NGA on mostly forest dirt/rock roads, some single track trails, water crossings, up and down and around the mountains. We usually split off into groups such as fast riders, moderate riders, slow riders, fat tire riders and follow a predetermined route with bypasses for the single track trails. Some riders show up on Thursday and ride the areas many challenging roads. I love the Cherohala/Dragon 120 mile loop. See http://www.tailofthedragon.com and http://www.cherohala.com for more info. Crawfords Campground has cabins for rent if your not a tent or rv camper.There will be a BBQ dinner on Saturday night. For the official website on this years rally and for info, pics and videos of last years rally go to http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606924. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it. However is this event something a newbie can do on a Dub with 203/204 tires? I don't want my wife getting in over her head and getting hurt.

Thanks for the heads up, CaptD.

I should be able to make it this time.

Are you still on the TW, or did you get the DR you were looking for?

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it. However is this event something a newbie can do on a Dub with 203/204 tires? I don't want my wife getting in over her head and getting hurt.
    She may have a tough time on the slippery forest roads with those tires. There is a womens group this year but I don't know if they will ride the same course as the rest of us. There are always beginner/novice riders there, some with big BMW's with street tires. Some folks show up and get maps of the area and just ride street rides. Danny the owner of the campground can help you out here. Maybe as simple as using one of his free dual sport maps and just crossing out the forest roads and adding in the pavement. He is a real friendly guy and you can call/e-mail him and tell him about your wife's riding skills/street tires and see what he comes up with. I know there are newbees that just show up and go out exploring, using the campground as there headquarters. I lease a yearly site at the campground and plan on making it my spring, summer and fall headquarters when I retire. Take a look at the pics on the advrider link above for last years ride and you will get a better feel for this ride. I read somewhere that the KLR forum/guys have there rally the following weekend at Crawfords. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, CaptD.

I should be able to make it this time.

Are you still on the TW, or did you get the DR you were looking for?

jb
    Still on the TW JB. No more bikes until I sell my boat, its a love/hate relationship. Prolly getting the DR and DL (wee strom) 650's. Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll never forget the first time we met at Crawfords Campground on a Monday in early June a few years ago. That hail storm was something to see - not on a bike though. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

X,

Just to add to what CaptD said, as long as the roads are dry, your wife should not have any problems on the forest service roads. When wet, however, the hard packed clay can be very slippery.

As I recall, Longroof had street tires on his TW, and had no problem riding the fire roads.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    X,

As I recall, Longroof had street tires on his TW, and had no problem riding the fire roads.

jb
    Longroof does use street tires on his TW but he rides more miles than all of us combined. So he is very capable of dealing with any road type condition. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

Thanks for the info.guys. We may be better off passing on the rally and just do some more street riding the next time we come up.

Due to last minute commitments, I didn't get to North Carolina until Sunday, the day after the ride.

Did not see CaptD in any of the photos, so I don't know if he made it or not.

Here's the link to some photos on Advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...606924&page=40

Xracer, the weather the following week was absolutely beautiful; clear, sunny, cloudless skies, with daytime temperature about 70 degress F.

jb

Sponosred Links