Like Tree16Likes
  • 11 Post By wrench-puller
  • 1 Post By Mattwings
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By wrench-puller

Thread: First solo ride on the Maxxis Ceros

First solo ride on the Maxxis Ceros

Well we had a break in the weather today so it was time to ride! Denice couldn't come along today cause our newest grandson was here for a visit and gramma wouldn't let him go, not even for a TW ride. So I bundled up, took the bike out of the rec room ( its new winter home ) and top it up with as much fuel as it would hold. Headed out for mountains to see where the snow level was at. There was low clouds and looked like rain was on its way again, but I couldn't wait any longer for a ride. Left the yard and headed out of town on rain slick roads but the new tires seemed fine with the wet conditions. Hung a left onto the main logging road and up the trails I rode. At the 25 km mark I passed through the clouds and the rain stopped. The traction was fantastic and the new gearing made the bike come alive. Now this is the first time in I don't know how long that I have been able to ride solo so the speeds were just a bit more than normal. Hitting 60 to 80 kmph (40 to50) on the flats and staying in 2nd and 3rd on most of the hills the bike seemed to have way more pull. The longer swing arm has smoothed out the washboard effect on the old logging roads and allows more throttle as the tire seems to have more contact. Where I would have to let up on the throttle to stop the hopping with the stock set up I can now keep the power (as much as a TW has) and that keeps the revs where it just keeps on pulling. Once I hit the steeper parts was where the lower gearing was most noticeable. Before in first the bike would labour and feel like it was ready to stall out but now it was like it had another 10 hp and I could gain speed even at the steepest portions. Then I hit the snow....wet and heavy with ice below. The tires held on but the rear started to spin out as the snow got deeper. I wouldn't expect any tire to move through this mess, but the tire cleared itself and kept digging through with slow forward movement. I just left it in first and turned up the idle so it slowly crept along till I passed through the deepest areas.
    Here are a few pics of the ride:

DSCF8002.JPGDSCF8003.JPGDSCF9001.JPGDSCF9005.JPGDSCF9008.JPG

Now coming back down was a different story as the tracks I made through the snow on the way up now were like a bobsled course and the Ceros had no grip to speak of. I got out of the rut and onto fresh snow which did help but "no brakes allowed" as the rear would lock up soon as it lost grip and the front brake was no go as well. The Kendra 270 made me chuckle as it threw a steady stream of small square snow cubes about three to four feet out in front of the bike. When I turned the handle bars back n forth to keep my balance they sprayed left and right like mini machine gun fire. Once I descended back into the clouds it was now raining hard and made visibility nil. The steep downhill switch backs were covered with wash out from the winter rains so a few sections turned into a free-fall situation where both braking and steering were non existent for most of these sections. It was that point n shoot and hope for the best. Over all the ride was a blast and I never would have got to the heights I did with the stock tire / swing arm. Not sure which has had the bigger impact on the bike, the tires or the swing arm, but together it has made the bike come alive and a much more enjoyable ride experience.
    I would highly recommend this combination for the TW, but we will have to wait and see what it can do on the dry n dusty trails this summer!
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Great report, thanks for the detail. We will look forward to more info as you gain time with the combo.
    littletommy likes this.

rbm
    What gearing did you go with?
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pretty neat picture in the snow above the clouds.

littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That's cool that you were able ride through the clouds and then ride above the rain!

Great report and glad that you are happy with your mods.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    What gearing did you go with?
    I had changed out the rear to a 47T with the stock tire which did fine for 90% of our riding. I knew with the larger diameter of the Ceros that I would have to re-gear so with a little math I decided to go with a 55T and keep the front stock as this was closest to what we had. So far it has been perfect but the real test will be later this summer when we try to go up Merry Widow to Old Sport Mine again. Last time we ran out of gearing midway up the steepest part. I had a choice to make...hit the throttle and dump Denice off the back or throw in the clutch.... I dumped the clutch. If there was another road down I may have hit the throttle but knowing that sooner or later I would have to come back this and she would be waiting for me...... safest way was to stall out. Even with both brakes applied we still slid backwards about 25 feet before I could swing the bike sideways and lay it over. From there we both pushed as I worked the clutch walking along side till we got to a side spur where we could get the bike on the level and remount. With a little speed before we hit the main line again we did manage to get to the top from there. Not sure if lower gearing would have helped because once your traction is gone...its all over.

Sooooo.....short answer.......stock up front with 47T / 55T on the rear!

DSCF4007.JPG
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 02-14-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub and Bagger like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Sponosred Links