TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Moab 2016 - Take a hike!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Leisure Time Larry 
#1 ·
In Moab, I plan to ride my TW...A LOT! However, the powers that be will not let me ride everywhere (even though I think that I should be allowed to, I mean, I can leave less of a footprint on it than on my feet in PSI), so I do plan on doing some hiking while there. It is simply one of the most beautiful and amazing places on earth, so we should plan to enjoy as much of it as we can. Now, I am no "hiker", so I am looking to do some "bang for your buck" style hiking. I don't want to hike just for hiking sake. I want to hike to get to those unique and gorgeous spots that I am not able or allowed to take my bike. I'm going to add in some hikes that I would like to do. Maybe some of you will want to join me. Please add your own hiking plans/trails/routes here if you have them! Who wants to "take a hike"?

Arches National Park-
-Devil's Garden - Supposedly one of the best hikes in the world, offering many arches and features packed into it. It can be an out and back or a loop with the primitive trail. Up to 7.2 miles when all trails are taken:

-Sand Dune Arch, Broken Arch & Tapestry Arch - 2 mile loop for all three:

-I would also like to do some of the short hikes that wander around Double Arch and the Windows
-Rounding off Arches, although I don't think that I plan to do it, as I hear it's a butt-kicker of a hike, and I'm not sure that the payoff is worth it, but here it is...world famous Delicate Arch - 3 miles roundtrip:

Canyonlands National Park-
-Mesa Arch - A short .5 mi roundtrip from the road, it is said that sunrise here is a photographer's dream:

-Grand View Trail - at the end of Island in the Sky Rd. this 2 mile roundtrip shows you Canyonlands in all its glory!
-Upheaval Dome - what an interesting looking feature! A moderately steep climb makes for a 1.6mi in and out hike.

Finally, on my list is Corona Arch. You've probably seen video of people rope swinging from this giant arch. Well, the swing is no more, but the arch appears so grand and worthy of a closer look. 3 mi roundtrip (off of Potash Rd.):

See less See more
5 1
#4 ·
Thanks, those are the good suggestions I'm looking for.

#5 ·
Its fun hiking there. I'd rate the Delicate Arch hike better than the Devil's Garden one. The primitive part of that loop was quite sketchy and we ended up doing it as an out and back.
A good bang for your hiking buck is Park Ave trail. Its a mile long each way. We only had my truck that day so we hiked up it and back down, but a lot of people get dropped off at the top and meet up at the bottom. Its an easy walk and pretty spectacular...ends at Courthouse Towers Viewpoint:

#6 ·
+1 on the Park Ave trail. Anyone arriving in a car with family can drop them off soon after entering park to hike through while driver goes to end of trail and inspects the just given hand-out map to plan their next move. Hikers soon arrive with grins and stories of amazement while driver imitates a seasoned guide and suggests their next awesome stop. Win, win situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.