Goin' Fishing on the TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Goin' Fishing on the TW

Goin' Fishing on the TW

Well as much as we would like winter over with it is still hanging in there. With snow in the forecast for tonight but sunny skies this morning there was nothing to do but go for a ride. After breakfast we figured we may as well try fishing if we were going to ride out to the lake, so shovel in hand I was off on a dangerous worm hunt and hunt I did. They didn't put up much of a fight as they were still in deep winter slumber. Denice, being the dedicated fisher person that she is, came out to the garden to hand select her worms. We loaded the fishing gear onto the TW and saddled up for a 30 minute ride out to the Keogh Lake rec site. Clouds were gathering as we pulled out but it wasn't until we hit the highway that the wind chill could be felt and boy could it be felt. Three logging road mains and one side spur later we were at our favorite camping/fishing spot. Doesn't matter what time of the year we go out there, it is always pretty and brings back so many good memories of camping when our kids were young.
    DSCF9009.JPG
    Cold as we were, there was nothing stopping her from casting a few times just to see......here fishy fishy. I think it was too cold even for the fish as we never even saw a ripple.
    DSCF9017.JPGDSCF9014.JPG

All too soon the sun was gone behind the clouds and the crisp wintery air was dropping in temperature. A few rain drops started making ripples on the water and Denice started laughing as she remembered a time a few years back on this very same lake. I had told her it was too early in the year to go fishing but she insisted, so we towed the tin boat out there and were trolling up and down the lake when it started snowing. Now these weren't your typical light fluffy little snow flakes, they were huge wet snow chunks that landed with a thump in the boat. She just smiled sweetly and kept right on fishing as the most scenic fishing trip we have ever had unfolded in a Christmas card like setting. We didn't get any fish that day either but smiles were had and memories made. Today she was the one that called it and we figured we better head in while we could still feel our fingers. Few quick posed pictures and we were off.
    DSCF9021.JPGDSCF9012.JPG
    Just a bit of rain on the way back home but no snow, thank goodness, as it was cold enough to snow. We took our time on the ride home trying to limit the mud sling and wind chill, but once out on the highway it was full out header home time. We cruised a 100 km/hr and did notice that the vibration from the Maxxis Ceros was almost gone ??? Not sure if it was just from it settling in or if we just couldn't feel it with how cold we were. Once home it was stoke the fire time and a hot lunch to warm up with. Right now I am enjoying a hot coffee with fresh made Welsh cakes.....I don't even mind we didn't get a trout, this is better any day!
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 02-20-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Nice story. You two make a good adventurous couple. She's darn prettier than the portrait you drew too.
    So, now to the important stuff: You packing a sectional or telescopic pole? I see one sectional case and was curious about second rig. I like telescopic poles for their quick deployment, it's just hard to find a quality one. My favorite is a Japanese 9'6" one I bought in South America, just barely fits in a daypack for those ride-n-fish summer outings.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hey Fred, both Denice and I use sectional rod kits. Denice uses the Daiwa spin cast kit in a hard case as its easy to travel with.

I use the Okuma Voyager kit as the rod is slightly larger and has a larger spool capacity, down side is a soft carry case.
    Both rod kits and a tackle tray fit nicely into a Spider Wire fishing bag that uses a hard bottom tray with lots of pockets.
    When we go fishing we simple grab the bag, top up with fresh worms, strap it to the rack, and hit the trail.
    We even had a spare kit, so if your ever up this way.... come fishing for a day or two!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 02-21-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Very nice.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Nothing beats a nice day of riding and fishing, me and the wife actually just got home from riding out to Pena Blanca lake down by the border. We even caught a couple bass for a change!

My wife has that same Okuma set, it's a surprisingly good rod and reel for the price. I use an ancient Mitchell Outback pack rod.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I Pray I may fish until my dieing day.
    And upon my last cast I then most humbly pray.
    That in the Lords great landing net, and peacefully asleep,
    That in His mercy, I'd be judged big enough to keep!

Sue and I have fished a lot over the years. The very first thing Sue and I bought after our house burnt down was fishing tackle. We were like little kids in a candy store! Eight hundred dollars in fishing tackle,wow! Fishing is fun, but what we like the most was the Catching. We always had this running wager, the first, the biggest and the most. I call it a "running wager" because if I wanted to collect on the wager Sue wouldn't take it lieing down, she would run! Dirts a Flyen SanDueimage.jpg
    Last edited by SanDue; 02-22-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    Mel, wrench-puller and Rickhem like this.

Awesome. Neither of you will forget this one!

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sue looks pretty strong to hold up all those fish. You better watch out for those uppercuts bro.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDue View Post
    I Pray I may fish until my dieing day.
    And upon my last cast I then most humbly pray.
    That in the Lords great landing net, and peacefully asleep,
    That in His mercy, I'd be judged big enough to keep!

Sue and I have fished a lot over the years. The very first thing Sue and I bought after our house burnt down was fishing tackle. We were like little kids in a candy store! Eight hundred dollars in fishing tackle,wow! Fishing is fun, but what we like the most was the Catching. We always had this running wager, the first, the biggest and the most. I call it a "running wager" because if I wanted to collect on the wager Sue wouldn't take it lieing down, she would run! Dirts a Flyen SanDueimage.jpg
    SanDue and admiral like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Now those are some nice fish sandue, now tell the truth...does Sue out fish you? I will honestly omit that Denice can out fish me but I don't care, I get such a kick out of watching her reel in trout after trout. Last year she figured the fish were out in deeper water then we could cast to, so she got us each a blow up raft and darn it if she didn't get a fish! Long as we are still laughing, then its all worth it.
    IMGP0041.JPG
    IMGP0044.JPGIMGP0039.JPGIMGP0036.JPG
    And here is the kicker, we use just bobber and hook with worms and we usually cut one is half so same gear, same bait and she gets all the fish?

Here I was getting all excited about motorcycling, but now I just want to go fishing!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links