Back From Big Bend...comparing BB to Moab
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: Back From Big Bend...comparing BB to Moab

Back From Big Bend...comparing BB to Moab

Montezuma Nick and I arrived home to a flooded West Central Ohio last night....If I had known what awaited{despite being far above normal temperature wise for Mid March} I would have stayed the extra 3 days we had originally planned on...I sit here this morning waiting for the Roto Rooter guys to free up my basement main drain...and this despite me living on the highest point in the City.

Anyway: I'm sure all five of us, Borneo, his friend Gary from Fort Wayne, Jim{Ebbanflood}, Nick and Me, could and would come away with different thoughts and versions of what our experience in Big Bend was like. Jim's big bike had starter issues, so he got very little off road work, other than when those 3, {with Borneo and Gary} rode they big boy bikes down from Austin, while Nick and I were hauling our TWs from Ohio to South Texas straight through{crazy old farts did not motel or stop for more than a few on the way to Texas or yesterday back to Ohio}.

Big Bend is no Moab, or is the vice versa....personally I loved Moab and will explain as I move this thread along, Big Bend? Frankly the riding, if IF, we could have gotten more in with the group, is more my kind of riding than Moab, but, the atmosphere and "town" at the Utah site, were more appealing....especially when you are getting up in age....so I will begin my view of the 8 days past:

Terlingua:

Leaving just before Noon on Saturday March 5th, Montezuma and I planned on stopping at rest areas along the way to sleep for a few hours and arrive near the Rio Grande Village Campgrounds by Monday morning...however, getting little sleep in the crowded dual cab 4 x 4, we were dragging ass by Sunday and decided to point in the direction of the small infamous town of Terlingua at the western doorstep of the Big Bend NP: Population 58

A Murder in Terlingua, Texas | Outside Online

Tired and in need of a beer or two, we found ourselves at the quaint little local Motel, and for $82 we got two beds, AC, showers and all you could ask for two guys with nearly ZERO sleep in the past 35 hours: A couple of Cigars each, more than a few beers each, and some conversation with 4 guys riding dirt bikes{also staying at the motel} and we crashed so we would get plenty of sleep for the ride to the southeastern edge of the park the next morning:

By this time I had NO cell service, but Nick would maintain his until we got midway past Panther Junction in Big Bend:

DSC00100.JPGDSC00097.JPGDSC00101.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 011.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 019.JPG

Up Next: Arriving at the Park Campsite and waiting for the 3 Amigos to show up
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 03-14-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    Purple, littletommy, Snake and 7 others like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

At the Chisos Mining Motel, I managed to crash about 8pm central time, with a cigar and a half finished and maybe 7, 8, Hell maybe more, beers[but they were Lite Beers} consumed....we arose not to early and checked out from the friendly lady{about my age} the Motel, and headed to the local gas station and eatery, where we downed the Breakfast Buffet for a $10 spot each....a good hot meal, because who knew what our cooking would be like from here on out:

We drove the couple of miles into the park where the nice large Park Lady convinced Nick to buy a Senior Pass...you gotta ask and he did, well Hell for $10 each, you get all the parks nationwide, plus our $14 campsite would only be $7 per night...so I got me a Senior Pass as well....one of the few advantages of being "Old"....did I tell you I turn 67 this Wednesday?

So, off we headed up, or was it down, over? Park Route 170...not exactly sure where we needed to go we took a site/side trip up the Castolon Santa Elena Junction...well about half way, before Nick realized that he had remembered we would probably meet the other 3, who were to arrive late Monday or early Tuesday, at the Rio Grande Village Campgrounds...so back we headed to the main road and drove by Panther Junction Panther? Why the heck would they name it "Panther Junction"? Only to find out later that "Panther" in this case was actually what the Coyote in the park and area are called.

After talking to the nice female "Host" of the park we found two sites, one for us, and another for the 3 late arrivals{or were we early?} not next to each other but close enough that it might have been a 50 yard walk between campsites: There we set up tent sites....and unpacked the truck. Now the next "problem"...were could two old guys with short inseams unload those TWs? Not off the trail we were told, you would get a ticket...but the husband of the host couple told us to head down to the group camp at the edge of the Rio Grande, and we could back the truck up and unload the rides there....we a thank you, we did exactly that. We were not set, and could wait for Borneo, Jim, and Gary, to arrive, but no with both of us having ZERO phone service, we did not know if that arrival would be Monday Night or early Tuesday? So back up the road toward Panther Junction we would head....where Nick received a message from that said "Do You Guys Have Beer"? We replied that yes we did, and they clicked back that indeed that they would be there Monday before dark:

The loading/unloading site at the Rio Grande, views of our Camp, and one of our "Mascots"...as we would spoil a group of Roadrunners, Morning Doves, Cardinals and other critters throughout the week:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 198.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 034.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 055.JPGDSC00103.JPGDSC00122.JPG
    Purple, littletommy, Snake and 9 others like this.

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

Hoot, I've ridden/camped/partied at Big Bend many times, camped & rode Moab once, last year.
    So I am very interested in your impressions of both.
    I have some friends in the Big Bend, all riders, so I've been treated to some "insiders" excursions around there.
    Can't wait to read the rest of your tale!
    Oh, I think someone was yanking Ol' Hoot's chain on panthers and coyotes...totally different critters, both to be found in Big Bend.
    Panthers are feline, also called mountain lions & cougars (no, not that kind!). They run pretty big, not to be confused with the much smaller bobcats, also denizens of the BB.
    Coyotes are canine, also sometimes called song dogs. They are the size of medium dogs. Their primary predators are the much larger wolves and cougars. Cougars are common in BB, no wolves that I have heard of. Mankind wiped them out of our state & region long ago, in our effort to "improve" things.
    Same thing with bears, but...bears are now migrating back into Texas from Mexico and have been seen in the BB. Damn illegal aliens! But they are very welcome.
    More...more...!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I get your take on Mountain Lions and Coyotes{being a Biology Guy and such } ...but we were reading from a pamphlet put out by the park....and was reading this and thinking "WTH? I grew up in Florida and Panthers were cats, just like Mountains Lions, and those Coyotes my Airedales used to kick the sheet out of were just loud noisy dogs...but hey, this is what the little rag said....BUT and I say But! I got to reading the piece and being a few beers in, they had the damn Coyote picture in with the Mountain Lion description... So once again the "Too many beers" got in the way of a good story

But back to the real story...more photos and thoughts on the way....but right now I am still in recovery and Hell with the Rains, Nick and I have not even gotten the TWs off the back of the Pick Up

Hidden Content

"So once again the "Too many beers" got in the way of a good story."
    Hey...we can have a club!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Old Ore Road....part 1

Monday afternoon Nick and I headed out before Borneo, Effan, and Gary arrived...I liked the look of Old Ore on a Video....but wasn't sure what it was all about. We headed off and put 7.3 mile down the gravel road, before meeting a Park Worker who told us that we still have 19 miles to go, then another 25 back paved roads through Panther Junction to get back....well that would have put us pretty close to dark and we were not exactly sure if the other 3 would arrive before we returned....so I turned the TW around and we proceeded back the 7+ miles....it would be the first of 2 "returns" on Old Ore....more on that later on in the thread...

I got a couple of photos in....and really liked the first 7 miles...of course I had zero idea what the final 19 miles looked like, but at this time, I really didn't care.....here are some photos from Day 1 at Old Ore:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 026.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 030.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 029.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 028.JPG

Our Next trip on Old Ore Road would be on Saturday and lasted about 10 yards past where we turned around on Monday...but I got better photos, and another story to tell

Hidden Content

Boquillas, Mexico, Texas, Overlook, Canyon, Crossing, etc

This is named after the little Mexican Town north and east of the Rio Grande River, on the Mexico side...Montezuma and I didn't cross the river{Nick minus a passport and mine many years expired} but the 3 Amigos, Gary, Jim{Fbbanflood}, and Borneo, did spend a day there....Jim can jump in with that story and photos if he chooses:

The Road up to the Boquillas is paved and perfect for cars, vans, and all types of Motorcycles....not a challenge to say the least, but still a nice 10 miles round trip worth a quick ride from the Village....we made the run twice, once on the TWs and another in the Pick Up when it was doing a cold rain in the Big Bend. The Ride on Tuesday {or was it Monday?} was done in warm sunshine and we stopped and took in the overlook....and I got a great appreciation for human nature{hard for me to do in today's world}. Seems an artist crafts his walking sticks and handmade Southwestern/Mexican Jewels, lays them on a rock with prices affixed{most $6 for walking sticks and up to $12 for the Jewelry} .....and a plastic box and small bucket for you to put your money in...Talk about "Honor System" ....this guy had it down, and hopefully nobody rips him off....but there is that "Human Nature" thing again.

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 039.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 040.JPG

On various days I got to see a Horse complete with rider crossing the Rio Grande and I viewed it from above....

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 164.JPG

I could have sat up there for hours on a sunny day and not moved...of course a couple of Cigars and a Cooler full of these would make it better...

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 042.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 066.JPG

All in all a short easy trip with a great view of the Rio Grande and the simple life those folks, poor as church mice they may be, live.....

No Wall or Fence Needed Here
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 03-15-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Hidden Content

Signing on Hoot! good stories so far!

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Glenn Springs and East River Road:

The Wednesday Ride {3/9/2016} that Nick and I took on Glenn Springs Road, then Hooking up on East River Road, as it headed back towards the Rio Grande Village Camp Site, was personally my favorite ride of the entire week....Borneo, Jim, and Gary, were in Terlingua, Borneo and Gary, eating at the Red Chili Pepper, or some such bar, while Effanflood was working with a Motorcycle Tech guy{who I would meet Thursday} trying to figure out just what was not working on his big ride? {We would find out later that it was the starter in itself}

We covered some 35 miles off road, with just a bit of everything you could want....a bit of sand, more soft stones, deep in the middle of the Glenn, but harder and easy along the edges, if you could stay in the lanes...also dirt, gravel, smooth rocks, etc. I enjoy it to say the least....hitting 48-50 mph on occasion, while still stopping to take photos as I pleased. By the time we hooked up with the River Road and took the shorter east road back to camp, we had not encountered any other vehicles, on ERR we did pass one slower 4WD and meet a couple of Jeep Wranglers heading the other way.

The Temperatures were well below normal, with cloudy skies and maybe 60 it was pretty perfect riding weather IMO:

Here are some photos from Glenn Spring Road:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 077.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 082.JPGBig Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 083.JPG

{1} One of the many variety of Cacti ....worth a few photos {2} Hoot trying to do his "Island in the Sky" photo from Moab...nope, not the same {3} Looking South towards the Rio Grande and Ol' Mexico ... Well Hell, the photo shoot sheeter didn't allow me to upload a couple...back to the drawing board, more on Glenn Spring Road coming up

Here we go....the "T" taking us from Glenn Spring to East River Road and the 9 miles or so back to camp....and Montezuma Coming up one of the well maintained hills in the middle portion of GSR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 03-15-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Hidden Content

Hey Hooter Boy -
    How were those Big Bend brews?
    Haven't had the pleasure yet.
    Did they have bottles too?
    Man, I gotta get back down there...with my camper and TW this time!
    Hoot Gibson and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links