Technical Trail Riding
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gentlemen,

The text book definition of meditation is to concentrate on one thing and to force all other thoughts out of your mind. After even a short duration in a state of meditation one has a feeling of contentment for hours afterward. Few things will more successfully concentrate your focus on one thing than the reality of immediate, painful consequences if you blow it. See, feel, focus, react, absorb, look ahead, and concentrate.

6 months ago I was ready to give up desert riding. My son (and riding partner) Charley is going off to Texas A&M in August and the prospect of my aging 55 year old body hitting the rocky desert floor here in Arizona at 50+ MPH gave me pause even though I have been riding off road since I was 12 years old. The type of technical trail riding that I enjoyed in my youth on a Honda SL100 was very difficult on my modern dirt bikes with their sky high seat height and high center of gravity. High output, peaky, water cooled engines provide about the same amount of delicate throttle control as a chain saw and make low speed maneuvering in tight spaces a clutch slipping nightmare. Time to hang it up and sell my dirt bikes as it is just not fun anymore.

Then two things saved my off road riding life. 1. I came across the TW and......2. I met XDAC and his fellow AZ TW riding friends.

I have never had more fun riding anything, anywhere. Trailway Forum members have seen XDAC's amazing photos of spectacular riding areas with towering mountains and scenic vistas. What the photos can't fully convey is the technical difficulty of many of these trails. Riding across both dry and flowing creek beds covered with basketball sized rocks and fallen trees that pound one's arms and sap your strength, steep off camber downhills with loose gravel that require a good line and a delicate touch to take advantage of limited traction, and riding up rock ledges that don't look possible at first. An element of luck comes into play during creek crossings as what is submerged is often not visible and must be assessed by the shape of the water surface flowing over your chosen line.

It doesn't always work out and the inevitable falls can be painful but the lower speeds of this type of riding mean they probably won't break much on you or your bike. Your friends will be right there to photograph your crash and to verbally rub salt into your wounds! And when you get it right, the adrenaline rush of elation, satisfaction, and accomplishment after successfully tackling a particularly difficult section makes it, to me, the most fun on two wheels. I completely understand why XDAC chose that screen name. I must mention one other thing. XDAC is still a kid compared to the old men who ride with him. They are a brave lot who sometimes crash hard and then get up and continue to ride even harder. All great guys who have done me a tremendous favor.......I'm still riding!

The TW's light weight, low seat height, precise low speed handling, low gearing, and high traction, high flotation tires make it the king in terrain that would humble the hottest motocross bikes and stop bigger adventure touring bikes dead in their tracks. If you live in mountain country, you are missing out if you just ride your TW around on dirt roads. Get it out where it belongs. When you are done with this intense form of meditation, you'll enjoy the buzz for the rest of the day. Cheers.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

Hey Chip, you are a lucky fellow to have a great group to ride with. I have enjoyed the photos, but in truth, my butt (orifice) was puckered tight the whole time. I am 62 and although it looks like a 'neat' adventure, I see myself in traction with a broken hip. How wonderful to have a really (older) skilled rider along to give "serious" advice as to how to make it thru............... A few years ago I rode with one of our members (Tony) to test out the beginnings of the Rubicon. It looked real challenging, but when I had to 'Pop' up one of those short verticle face's of granite, I thought right away that this ride will be way over my head................ Tony (Elime) continued on the next day and it seemed God was his Co-pilot. Kudos to you Elime. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Gerry,

Rocky was down here a week ago riding with the TWAT squad. He liked it and if you come out and join us I guarantee you'll have a great time as well.

Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It is good to have a group of like minded people riding the same type of MC. There are 1000's of miles of trails for us to ride in Az.

If you ride trails with some challenges you will fall sometimes, as I have demonstrated often. I haven't ridden a MC on trails like this for 20 years so I'm rusty. But I'm slowly getting used to riding again.

I don't mind falling, but I do mind the abrupt stop my body makes when I hit the ground

Now crashing (falling over 10mph) is something different and I try to avoid that as that HURTS a lot more on my 47 yr old body.
    T. Wight

Mesa, Az.

1994 TW200

& other toys...

The funny thing is I wasnt even looking for a bike let alone a TW200. I ride a RZRS, and love to go up and over things....Some times all the way over.

But we winched it up and back over and drove it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0AGH...yer_detailpage

I bought my first TW200 on a wim, then 4 of my friends bought one, Then I just bought another 87, but this one is blue......

Our little group/gang is "TW's on Arizona Trails" we are a very opinionated group with a bit of sarcasm== OK quite a bit of sarcasm. But we like to ride and explore. We have quads, SXS, Rubicons, and now motor pickles. More toys to havemore fun.

Chip, when you came on our first ride at Hackberry, I honestly didnt think you would ride with us again, not because of the tough technical bowling ball sized rock gardens but our personalities.... my wife says we are alittle tough to take at times.....btw she goes on all the rides too along with out dog, Ranger.

Glad to have you as part of our group.....

We all learn by experience, and it seems Chip has found a group of like-minded adventure partners. Not sure if it is because I have something of a 'prickly-pear' personality or most folks are not as serious about personal safety as I am. I have been on adventures with 'organizers' that talk of an impending adventure as though THEY have personally 'done it'. I then find after 2 feet of snow, shear drop-offs and obstacles as big as car crushing boulders the ride had been ridden only by 'his' Trials-expert friend. We live, we learn.

At 62 I expect folks to be prepared and forth-right. Everyone needs food, water and some gear. If I am the only guy that has it, I will not ride with the group. If I sense that the person that says "lets go here" is attempting to lay claim to "knowing" where here is and is likely full of do-do, I'm gone. I loathe people that lay claim to knowing what they do not.... What a Friend says about a ride they did two years ago is NOT my personal experience and I would be a lair to present it as such. I have taken to many, lets go here cause it is a great ride only to find that the person I was with has never done it............ In most instances, it is no harm, no foul. Yes it may be much longer and much harder than you expected, but you are ok; perhaps hungry, cold and tired. Should I experience discomfort, I want it to be because I did not plan, not because I trusted someone elses (BAD) judgement. Use care.......... Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Any of you fellers ever been riding out around toroweap/tuweep area of the grand canyon. I've never been out there on a bike but in the summer of 08 my brother and I rented a car and drove all over the western states and we thought we were heading to toroweap and got lost out on desert road that turned into atv paths. We were out there from 6am till almost dark and

I drove that poor nissan ultima through rocks, creeks and all kinda stuff I never thought a front wheel drive

Would go through. We only seen one truck the whole day and a few guys hunting antelope. We made it about 10-15 miles from the canyon and came up to a creek that flooded the road real bad and couldn't go any farther. Anyways it looked like there were trails everywhere out in that area.

Too bad you live in Arizona! I agree 100 percent that this type of riding is the most fun you can possibly have on two wheels (although I do like other types of riding a lot too). I couldn't have summed it up better myself. If you ever feel like coming over here to Southern California, we need to do some riding! Or if I ever get the chance (money) to get out to Arizona... Oh by the way GREAT pictures. That terrain looks seriously fun! Also have you tried a 55 tooth sprocket on the TW? Makes it way more capable and fun for that type of riding. Also consider the cyclerack. Stronger than the rack you have on there, can hold more weight, helps protect the turn signals and sub frame.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

hay demarko i to have a rzr and tw the wife and i are hopeing to go to quartz-site next jan or feb went to out-law jamboree in az last year . RIDE_ON see u on the trails ray

Quote Originally Posted by jagstw200 View Post
    hay demarko i to have a rzr and tw the wife and i are hopeing to go to quartz-site next jan or feb went to out-law jamboree in az last year . RIDE_ON see u on the trails ray
    Thats one area that we really haven't ridden. Seems too flat and boring and full of snow birds who cant drive a car in town but they manage to drive a few thousand miles in their 40ft diesel pusher
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links