TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Photos From Big Bend

6K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Hoot Gibson 
#1 ·
Working over the past week {hard to believe that it will be a full 7 days since we got back last Sunday, in just a few hours} on some photos from the Big Bend National Park ride and week....as usual the quality is never as good as hoped, but will post them individually as I remember them over the next few days....and try to keep them in some sort of order as taken:

Off we go....leaving Montezuma, Ohio, with Montezuma Nick {L} and Hoot

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Family car Minivan

See less See more
#2 ·
The weather and traffic were pretty decent from Ohio as we turned to Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri, as night fell....even with a couple of brief rest stops in Oklahoma and North Texas, we decided to push forward, against common sense, and made it to the door step of Big Bend by mid afternoon on Sunday, stopping at the quaint little motel in the town of Terlingua, Texas....

$82 bucks seemed fair enough to me....a few bites of Beef Jerkey, a few Lite Beers, and a couple of cigars would precede a good night's sleep before heading into Big Bend early on Monday:

Transport Building Vehicle Hill station Road

Looking out our Front {Motel} Door:

Sky Blue Cloud Natural landscape Natural environment

#3 ·
Monday Morning came, and we ate a hearty breakfast at the local gas and pit stop...then saying good bye to the Chisos Mining Motel, we headed towards Big Bend and the Rio Grande Village:

Property Sky Landscape Real estate Signage

Temperatures were already approaching 80 as we entered the park...we would have 2 warm day, followed by 3 cooler days, before the rebound just before we headed back towards home the next Saturday

Mountainous landforms Nature Wilderness Sky Natural environment

Sky Nature Natural environment Wilderness Natural landscape

#4 ·
Good stuff Hooters!

#5 ·
Monday arrival at Rio Grande Village Camp:

Tree Sky Soil Woody plant Branch

Camp Site #32 had some open views and plenty of tame wildlife. mostly birds to spoil, it was a good site in the NO Generator Zone....just some kids making noise and the night time visits of the Howling Coyotes...

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car
Camping Tent State park Plant community Recreation
Bird roadrunner Beak Terrestrial animal Wildlife

#7 ·
Me too!!! :D

#9 ·
35 Miles of a "Mixed Bag" surfaces, Glenn Springs Road south to River Road East

Mountainous landforms Mountain Vegetation Natural landscape Nature
Vegetation Shrubland Plant community Tree Wilderness
Vehicle Motorcycle Dirt road Mode of transport Highland
Cactus Barbary fig Flower Plant Prickly pear
Motorcycle Dirt road Vehicle Enduro Trail

Next: Glenn Springs Road part II

#13 ·
We talked about that on several occasions over that week at Big Bend Gerry...pretty damn amazing the guts and fortitude those folks had....:smiley:

#17 ·
Don't know Fred...3 days were cool and we were dressed for the cooler weather, I did get to wear shorts for one day...however, my face got it's Baseball Umpire tan started...as far as smelling better...3 showers in 8 days ? I usually take 2 or 3 a day and this old coot probably wasn't smelling like roses :cool:

#18 · (Edited)
Riding south on Glenn Springs Road.... part 2

Vehicle Motorcycle Off-roading Wilderness Soil
Geology Soil Rock Road Hill
[/ATTACH] Dirt road Road Sky Vehicle Ecoregion
Mountainous landforms Sky Mountain Highland Nature

Little Doubt that Glenn Springs was my favorite road{only because I failed to ride the entie 26 miles of Old Ore...and when{as opposed to "if"} I get back down that way, I will plan on taking the Black Gap Road off Glenn Springs, which goes 8.5 miles until hooking up with West River Rd.....also the entire 26 miles Sand, Hills, Drop Offs be damned, of Old Ore...but age and time may have a say in that...but that is the hope.;)

Up Next?

Attachments

#19 ·
Boquillas

While Effanflood, Borneo, and Gary from Ft Wayne, made the crossing over the Rio Grande and into Boquillas, Mexico, the small border town that relies on the small tourist trade, Nick and I, sans Passports{mine long expired} settled for a couple of rides up the paved road to the Boquillas Overlook, and Canyon.

Rock Landscape Geology Geological phenomenon Plant
Water resources River Natural environment Wilderness Landscape
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Adventure Car
Cactus Jumping Cholla Plant Thorns, spines, and prickles Flower
Natural environment Natural landscape Vegetation Plant community Nature reserve

The small town was clearly visible from the Overlook, where some fellow named Jose sold his walking sticks and trinkets via the Honor System....on a Normal 80 degree day bathed in Sunshine, I could have seen myself with a six pack of Tecate Beer and a long, slow smoking Cigar, not moving from a spot on the rocks, taking it all in. :p

#22 ·
I think one of the things that helped convince my wife when I was courting her that America was OK was when we encountered a self-pay wagon load of kiwi out in California's central valley. I responded to her amazement by asking if the can of money or fruit would be stolen in her home country. She said the whole wagon would be likely be gone in short order. So of course we paid for a big bag of kiwis. To this day simply seeing kiwi brings back pleasant memories and re-affirms our faith in mankind's potential.

#23 ·
We have all kinds of Veggie Self Pay stands here in the Heartland, and have never seen or heard of one ripped off....so far;)

#24 ·
Relaxing at the Chisos Mountain Lodge on Thursday March 10th:

Effanflood Jim's BIG Bike was acting up, so we followed him to the lodge in the truck while Borneo and Gary from Ft. Wayne, rode the length of the River Road on their Kawasaki 650s....giving us time to hit the bar, get our rooms, and eat a meal with the Mountain View:

Mountainous landforms Nature Natural landscape Rock Sky
Mountainous landforms Mountain Highland Mountain range Wilderness
Sky Sunset Afterglow Cloud Sunrise
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling

Jim, Gary, and Kurt, headed out on Friday Morning for Austin....without a doubt some of the great views in Big Bend can be found just sitting at the Bar in the Chisos Lodge: :D

Sky Nature Blue Green Cloud

#27 ·
A Final Look at Big Bend:

I hope to get back there and Moab, along with a few other places on my list...some I have visited and some I have not....but with Baseball Season Started, I will stick close to home until July......and do some short 'Day Trips"

some of my favorite photos from the week....

Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motorcycling Off-roading
Soil Grass Road surface Sand Plant
Vehicle Sky Mountain Motorcycle Tree
Vehicle Enduro Motorcycle Soil Motocross
Transport House Vehicle Rural area Tree

#28 ·
And a Few More:

Sky Tree Nature Natural landscape Blue
Tree Sculpture Cross Adaptation Art
Natural landscape Water Sky Vegetation Grass
Sky Sunset Cloud Afterglow Red sky at morning
Road Wall Sky Tree Infrastructure

And so that ends my Big Bend Ride in Review....enjoyed the heck out of it, but as always wish I had done more....but that is for another time down the road...

#32 ·
Time to add some similar webbing to the tow-rope usually on board. Have never attempted that technique though, got something new to practice.
While skinny my rope was good enough to tow Plumbstraight and his TW through Moab's Fins-n-Things by a rescuing Rent-A-RZR. Imagine he would have been more comfortable with stouter webbing though.:rolleyes:

Reactions: jtomelliott49
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.