Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By Skooter
  • 2 Post By scotti158
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By T-Dub Ken
  • 3 Post By Skooter

Thread: bouncy, bouncy!

bouncy, bouncy!

Discovered on this hill how little suspension the TW has and how bouncy the tires get. Tried a fast run up. Bouncing started then progressed to bucking bronco stage resulting in...Dubya fall down. Woulda taken a pic of Dubya laying there all sprawled out with wheels in the air, but since the tank and carb ended up on the low side, I didn't want him dripping a buncha gas so I picked him up.

Once upright, straightened the mirror, cleared the flooded carb, restarted, and went back down to reassess. Determined low gear at walking speed, dabbing a foot when needed was a better approach. Low and slow gits 'er done in the TW world. Summit reached!

Several more similar hills came and went (slowly) without incident. Hang a left at the big water tank, back down to the neighborhoods and civilized pavement once again. Great learning experience and no damage to Dubya or myself. Except-- perhaps due to the adrenaline rush from falling off and rolling down the hill-- I got a cramp in my left buttock. That came and went too. Weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you want to go fast on a TW, put it in the back of a pick up truck. Playing with the rear tire pressure might help out some on the rough trails. Try 8-10 psi.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Welcome Skooter. Probably getting pretty hot down in Arizona right about now eh? Anyway, maybe in the future you'll want to look at some suspension modifications. Company called Procycle sells some stiffer springs for the rear and front forks as well as some other dampening device for the forks. Others like myself have done some shade tree modifications by inserting some homemade spacers for the forks and even the rear shock. Some even investigate front fork weight oil changes along with fork oil amounts. I've even moved the circlip rear shock retainer spring up to raise & stiffen the rear shock.

Play around with google search and incert what you're looking for in place of "webcam" to do some of your own research. Several options for "some" bouncy bouncy improvements!

Google Search - site:TW200Forum.com (Insert words here for search)

or click or copy this google link: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...m.com%20webcam

Take care and have fun with your TW.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Butt cramps not typical.
    But can happen.

May have been more of a pucker going on that caused that one.

I don't ride gravel. Can't stand the stuff. Sorry, I'm a pretty boy.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much
    Smiles and laughs a lot
    Loves dogs and cats too

Glad you came out ok and learned a not so expensive lesson.

Where abouts were you riding? - it looks very familiar / similar to the Dutch Flats area near Havasu.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Mohave County but it's up in Kingman area. Saw a 90 degree temp forecast for next week but these past few days after the rainy spell it's been low 70's. Gonna concentrate on modifications to my own skill level before any suspension work. Maybe tweak tire pressure a bit. I'm just happy to have a machine to explore the outback, so to speak. Gotta be 100 miles of dirt to every one paved, at least here in Mohave Co.

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Those pictures make the hills look like a piece of cake. I like the tire pressure suggestion and try to keep the speed up. Oh, and stand on the pegs when the going get tough.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    Mohave County but it's up in Kingman area. Saw a 90 degree temp forecast for next week but these past few days after the rainy spell it's been low 70's. Gonna concentrate on modifications to my own skill level before any suspension work. Maybe tweak tire pressure a bit. I'm just happy to have a machine to explore the outback, so to speak. Gotta be 100 miles of dirt to every one paved, at least here in Mohave Co.
    The Mohave is absolutely beautiful (coming from a Minnesotan that was only there during the winter months). I've put on thousands of off-road ATV / RZR / RANGER / JEEP miles in the Mohave - never forget it. I would love to get back there on the TW and actually enjoy it for a vacation.

One time our Military RANGER convoy got lost and ended up in a militia camp in the mountains east of Yucca - now that is a story, glad to be alive still!
    Last edited by 1911garand; 04-13-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Sponosred Links