Long Beach, B.C.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Long Beach, B.C.

Long Beach, B.C.

Well we loaded up the trailer and tied the TW into the back of the truck Thursday night ready for the great escape right after work on Friday. Just as soon as the last boat was sea-trialedIMG_0121.JPG and the paperwork done it was hit the highway time. We made it to Buckley Bay ferry rest area the first night and crashed there for a bit but woke to rain showers and dark clouds moving in fast.IMG_0162.JPG

After a quick breakfast it was on the highway again and with a slight detour to our favorite coffee roaster to stock up on fresh roasted beans, we headed across the island towards Tofino. Now they do call it the "rain forest of the west coast" and it certainly lived up to its name as we hit one rain storm after the next as we crossed the pass to the west coast of Vancouver Island. We hit the junction of Hwy #4 with the wipers slapping away and the light fading just as fast as we were, but the campground was only minutes away. As the campground bill board came into sight we both groaned as we read "Campground closed for special event". Well it was easier to carry on then to try to turn around, so on we go towards Ucluelet seeking rest for the night. Signed in and a quick set-up in the rain we were done for day one!
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 04-24-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    TWilight, Dryden-Tdub, GTG and 4 others like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Day two was better as the rain had stopped and after a nice breakfast and fresh coffee we packed up again and headed out. Little hike out to the light house at the Coast Guard Station and a few pics of the sea we were revived and ready for more travels.
    IMG_0166.JPGIMG_0169.JPGIMG_0180.JPG

Back on the Hwy 4 heading north toward Tofino we had to pass the campground that was closed the night before, but the sign was gone so in we went. Seems the wedding party was done and headed out to dry out their tents. Lucky for us there was a whole campsite of spots to choose from and as the sun shone we set up camp. Now here on the west coast when the rains stops it is usually because wind is blowing too hard for it hit the ground. So with a steady "breeze" blowing, Denice thought it was better to take the truck to explore Tofino and leave the bike at the campground, I voted to take the bike....so I was out voted and we met in the middle, we took the bike in the back of the truck? Hey...happy wife.... happy... yeah you know it. So after a wind blown tour of the town and a few trinkets bought it was back to the campsite.
    I thought I would unload the bike while she put things away and I knew if the bike hit the ground we were going riding! So with my best puppy dog eyes and that smile she cant resist....we saddled up for a quick ride before dinner. We headed north again towards Long Beach and the wind was head on but nothing was going to stop me from riding on the beach today. (won't let me post the pics, try in another post)
    Dryden-Tdub, GTG, TWilight and 5 others like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

IMG_0184.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0186.JPG
    So as the sun fades on day 2, the shadows grow long and its time to call it a day. Our "quick ride" to the beach ended up to be a 40km trip but the view was worth the trip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This was my favorite picture of the day, I should have traced the shadow with a stick and left a marker that "we were here".
    IMG_0192.JPG
    Tomorrow is suppose to be the best weather day of the week, so it is TW riding all day!
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 04-25-2016 at 08:56 AM.

so that's what it looks like over there when it isn't pouring rain! great pictures. I remember when I was a youngin, I bunch of us rode our bikes over from Vancouver and spent a great afternoon riding on the beach and through the water. that night we slept between the logs on the beach ( oh it was great to be young) then next morning everyone of our chains were all rusted up and took quite a bit of effort to break them free
    Last edited by grewen; 04-26-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Wrench-puller, where did you ride on the beach. I have been to Tofino, Ucluelet, Long beach area many times, but did not realize there was a beach in the area that still allowed vehicle traffic. Linda grew up in Port Alberni and she remembers camping on Long Beach in a truck camper as a child.

You lucked out with the weather as it really poured over here yesterday. The gutters could not handle the downpour.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Boy, wouldn't know it rained by looking at this photos. Very nice!

Lighthouse if so cool!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Well what a fantastic sunny day we had on the west coast today! After a breakfast of homemade pulla bread French toast and coffee, we saddled up the TW for a tour of Ucluelet and area.
    IMG_0199.JPGIMG_0200.JPG
    We saw everything from the oldest general store (1908) to the newest subdivisions with huge homes that nobody lives in. Sadly it seems they are selling off the waterfront and beach access to private and resort properties, this made accessing the beaches alittle more difficult than we thought. We did find a great family restaurant for lunch called "Howlers" (best onion rings ever!). This restaurant even had a large arcade/pool tables and 4 lane bowling alley right inside the restaurant!
    IMG_0205.JPGIMG_0201.JPG

From there we headed out of town to walk down to Florencia Beach. Short 45 minute walk they said.....no problem.
    grewen, GTG, ejfranz and 3 others like this.

We left the bike and headed up the trail....up? We should have been going down, down to the beach not up. It was a beautiful walk with the sound of the surf getting closer and closer, the sun rays thru the forest.
    IMG_0207.JPG
    And that's when we came to the staircase down to the beach, just a few stairs and we would be "running" along the sandy beach. With a groan from Denice as she started down the stairs, our destination was almost in sight....just a few more stairs.
    IMG_0214.JPG
    Then a few more stairs....IMG_0213.JPG
    And then we came to a road block....a fallen tree IMG_0211.JPG
    Denice almost didn't make it passed, but with just a 1/4" to spare she carried on down the with out even a scratch.
    Once we reached the beach it was worth the hike down (she was already complaining about the hike back up the stairs).
    We set our gear on a log and sat to take in all the sights before us.. IMG_0216.JPG
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 04-26-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    grewen, ejfranz, admiral and 2 others like this.

With the roar of the surf and the sun over head, it was worth the hike down (not sure about the hike back up yet). We had the beach to ourselves as we surveyed the view before us.
    IMG_0215.JPGIMG_0217.JPGIMG_0219.JPG
    The hike back up wasn't that bad, and I only counted 174 stairs. She kept mumbling something about it was harder with short legs...but it was the same amount of stairs?
    Once we arrived back in the parking lot we geared up and like a tired out dog, I gently lifted the poor old girl onto the back of the bike. She was done for the day.
    IMG_0221.JPG
    So it was back to the campground for dinner and get the bike loaded up for our travels to points unknown tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy, admiral, GTG and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links