Muddy Goop Loop Ride Along the Carson River
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Muddy Goop Loop Ride Along the Carson River

Muddy Goop Loop Ride Along the Carson River

You might like the next video with soundtrack better.
    Adam-in-Nevada and I had planned to ride much more than the simple 30 miles of muck in search of some hot springs normally accessed by the river rafting folks who float through this remote canyon. However deceptively soft mud from recent snows, freeze/thaw bulking and subsequent overnight rain/snow really slowed us down. Maintaining forward momentum wasn't as much a challenge as keeping rear wheel tracking with the front, seemed like rear tire often seemed like it wanted to pass the front. A side-by-side had gone in and out before us so it's tracks were an indication of how soft the road-bed was.
    I had been jeeping here as a kid with my father on the north side of the river but never explored this road system on the southern shore. I plan to return sometime when things are a bit drier as it is a pretty destination with connections to the higher snowy elevations of HWY4, Ebbetts Pass and Mokolumne wilderness trailheads.

A surprising, and entertaining amount of mud boogers gets thrown forward off the front tire in these moist desert mud conditions. Above a certain speed they tend to come up into my face. Just as well as at that same speed I tend to crash spectacularily.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-01-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    TWilight, Purple, Jon62602 and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Same video but with some music to mask wind noise off of helmet.

Adam and I make a good pair liking a similar pace and challenges. We both dropped our respective bikes in the mud once, stalled in water crossing one each, and at end of loop where we had 3 miles of blacktop both maxed out at ~55 mph going uphill [email protected] 6,000 ft elevation despite different tires, different sprocket combos ( 14x54 vs. 13x55 ) and pistons. Despite all I have done to modify Betty Boop she still can't out-run that young pup on his mostly stock bike. Of course Betty is hauling an additional 25 pounds of corn-fed Fred around.Adam is a great riding companion. Had I been alone I would have turned around early in the mud for fear of getting stuck far from terra firm. As is while we didn't find the hot springs upstream we did explore downstream until we found an alternate route up and out of the river canyon.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I saw you pictures in the other posts as well and I'll have to say I would have bagged it and not gone. Of course, this is coming from the person who had to be "winched" up the muddy hill by Mrs. Admiral last year. It's hard not to go even when it's this muddy when you have your heart set on going.

Certainly looked like beautiful country and I can see why one would want to go back. "Dicy" on that one water crossing area, heck I could see the current running through there! Did you stall at the end? If you did I thought you were going at a quick pace through that water. No Lizrdbrth water fording mod done to Betty? I will say it was nice to see Betty Boop up and running and pretty good sounding too! Thanks for sharing Fred. I was missing your video's!
    Gerry, Tweaker, TWilight and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The mud was such that frequent forays into deeper puddles was needed to loosen the mud lessening the build-up that ultimately locks up the rolling bits so that they refuse to roll anymore. It is no fun to be in the middle of a muddy expanse with wheels that won't turn in the forks and frame. Often sagebrush is the only tool available to pry mud out. As is the mud build-up on swing arm acted like a conveyor belt feeding mud and stones into the chain so that small stones would get destructively caught between sprocket teeth and chain....My poor O-ring chain suffered I am sure.
    And yes I did quench the fire in poor abused Betty's heart on the one creek crossing...a bit too fast and a bit too deep. I had removed the LZRD vents during last engine work and need to resurrect them prior to any more deep creaking.
    It really was a bit soupy in places. Two washings later and my skid plate is still packed with muddy debris. I should have had Twilight with us to demonstrate how he would avoid any mud build-up on his bike.20563b74ac7153527709b406ffa95a14.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 05-01-2016 at 08:27 PM.
    TWilight, admiral, Gerry and 7 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Now that's some DAMN nice mud there Fred! You and Adam make me proud! m.
    TWilight likes this.

Betty Boop was sporting a similar mud build-up but Adam's bike photographed better. Especially around the oil level window since we had spent considerable time peering through that window setting his oil level earlier that morning. So being able to just see the window was sort of an inside joke.
    I rode bike a bit today to dry and shake off some of the mud that resisted two washings yesterday. At least that was my excuse for another ride.

I noticed my IRC trials tire really turned into a mud ballon. Wonder if a 241 would have resisted the build-up any better? Actually once tire gets moving it quickly self cleans by blowing chunks out the front. Delightfully entertaining as they either splash into next puddle, land and make cute goop sculptures on either side, or hit me in the nose.

P.S.- On a responsible rider's note we did spend time and last of our water cleaning off turn signals, lights and license plates before leaping on HWY 395 for a three mile blast back to the haul vehicle. Passed a local Sheriff who didn't bat an eye. Nice to not be an outlaw with a plated, legal bike for a change.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-02-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Looked like a good ride but all that mud on an air cooled engine looks like a potential disaster. A little bit extra cylinder to piston clearance helps in this kind of situation.

I guess going through puddles keeping the mud wet is what helps.

Man, it sure looked like you guys were having fun.
    littletommy, admiral and TWilight like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Good point elime. We would take breaks to let the engines cool while wondering why our TWs do not sport the massive cooling fins from the the two-strokes of our youth. Those introspective moments and riding in first and second gear is likely why we only made 30 miles. Lots of fun flicking mud boogers, splashing through puddles and creeks while struggling to stay upright.$_35.JPG
    Surprisingly we saw only a few deer tracks and no Slow Elk ( favorite rustler slang for cattle) but lots of hawks, falcons, maybe one juvenile golden eagle and several canadian geese. Infrequent human visitation plus water and lush vegetation would make this a good place for wild critters.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-02-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Great ride, Fred! Great video too!
    Wow, it was a lot of work keeping that bike in line though!

I found mud in my air box yesterday!! When I took the cover off, water cam out too

I freshened her up yesterday with some new oil, lubed chain and a cleaned out air box and air cleaner.

...ready for next ride!
    admiral, elime, TWilight and 1 others like this.

Well Adam, we should invite Twilight and others back down and ride there again once things dry a bit, maybe come in from the upstream side near Markleeville where there is also may more miles to ride.
    Adam-n-nevada likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links