Alaskan ride 2017
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Alaskan ride 2017

Alaskan ride 2017

Thought I would start a thread as it seems this might be a reality.

It is a bit over 1800mi from my place to Haines junction. What we need to do is figure how many miles a day the slowest rider wants to achieve. I don't want this to be a killer ride, if we can't enjoy it, no use in going. Remember, we can do some trading off as we will have the truck. Figure 50-55 for traveling. Will have plenty of gas and oil along with those parts that might let go, chains, tires etc. I guess we need to get the want list up and going.

All will need passports for this even taking the ferry. We will be going through the Yukon territory of Canada and I am sure they have border crossing checkpoints on the Haines hwy. If you have any issues, dui, domestic violence, and such things you will have to sit this ride out or take the ferry all the way to Whittier.

Will need to put this together as timing to meet up at Haines Junction we don't want to spend too much time, maybe a lazy day of rest and maintenance. There is a huge lake with some monster Lake Trout just up the road a ways. There is a 65lb one hanging on the wall at the small station there. A good place to eat and fuel up also.

This is just a teaser to get us thinking of doing this. Start putting away a few scheckles each month.

I do have a place in Palmer where we can stay and do some backcountry rides. Town is not far away. Also I have a friend down on the Kenai we can hook up with if anyone wants to put a hook in the river. If the fish are in in Homer, there is a place where you can snag them with no bait. Is called the snagging hole. Fish are hatched there and when they come back there is nowhere for them to spawn.

I will be packing hardware for camp safety. Of course a nice motel and hot shower now and then to sooth those special places is a must.
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 05-03-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Some fellows I met along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would love to travel the Yukon territory !
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

sounds like a great plan! what are you roughly allocating, 3 weeks? a month?
    JClark likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    sounds like a great plan! what are you roughly allocating, 3 weeks? a month?
    To do it right, a month might work. This is a ride that you can't just pick up and go. It will take some serious planning. To do the ferry to Haines is an expensive trip. To ride it from Washington to Ak on the bikes it would be cheaper if doing some camping, but not doing motels along the way. Doing 200 mi a day will take 12days going and coming. I will say 200 mi a day is a challenge in it's self for an extended time, speaking for myself of course. Weather can set in at any time, breakdowns, breaks and all take time from moving along.

This is an epic ride for a TW, only serious riders should contemplate a journey like this. Know going in there will be no whining or negetivity accepted on this ride. Attitudes will be made to ride well back in the dust. Think of it as a one in a lifetime ride to enjoy and really take in the beauty of the Yukon, some of it's gold country and as much of Ak as you can see. Taking a fishing pole along for tasty grayling for breakfast is a real treat.

If some of you hard core TW riders want to take this on, let us get the ball going as to which way we want to travel, meet up and such things. For me, I will be taking a couple of TW's, my truck and travel trailer. Cooking does not have to be made over an open fire and if a bike goes down in some faraway place we will be able to rescue it or have the tools and extras to put it on the road. Not to mention if anyone has an encounter with a buffalo, we will have a place of comfort to get to a repair station.
    littletommy likes this.

I can only dream that someday I could do this. For anyone going, get a good seat pad!
    Awesome idea I hope this works out for some of you!

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    To do it right, a month might work. This is a ride that you can't just pick up and go. It will take some serious planning. To do the ferry to Haines is an expensive trip. To ride it from Washington to Ak on the bikes it would be cheaper if doing some camping, but not doing motels along the way. Doing 200 mi a day will take 12days going and coming. I will say 200 mi a day is a challenge in it's self for an extended time, speaking for myself of course. Weather can set in at any time, breakdowns, breaks and all take time from moving along.

This is an epic ride for a TW, only serious riders should contemplate a journey like this. Know going in there will be no whining or negetivity accepted on this ride. Attitudes will be made to ride well back in the dust. Think of it as a one in a lifetime ride to enjoy and really take in the beauty of the Yukon, some of it's gold country and as much of Ak as you can see. Taking a fishing pole along for tasty grayling for breakfast is a real treat.

If some of you hard core TW riders want to take this on, let us get the ball going as to which way we want to travel, meet up and such things. For me, I will be taking a couple of TW's, my truck and travel trailer. Cooking does not have to be made over an open fire and if a bike goes down in some faraway place we will be able to rescue it or have the tools and extras to put it on the road. Not to mention if anyone has an encounter with a buffalo, we will have a place of comfort to get to a repair station.
    littletommy likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I am so in for this! However, plumb, I think you have the right idea with bringing a truck and camper. I love riding my TW, but I don't think I'd enjoy this kind of mileage on it. I'm not TWilight.

I'm going to throw this out there...What do you think about opening this up to a camper convoy?

Experience from your place this past weekend and Moab shows that several dubbers like to roll with a camper, rv, trailer, 5th wheel, toy hauler, and even an Astro van! We also know that we are a frugal, neigh, economical bunch. You have mentioned costs. Wowza, I looked up the ferry prices...uh nope! Camping off of the bike is fun on the weekend, but a month is not for this kid. Hotels nearly every night and purchasing most meals would also be cost prohibitive for myself and probably others. Costs, comfort, familiarity, speed, and safety are all strong reasons to me to go this route instead of a straight up ride. I don't want to discourage anyone that may want to ride the whole thing though!

Maybe plan to drive a few hundred miles a day (or from planned location to planned location) then unload the bikes and ride around the backroads/trails/etc. for a few hours exploring, then camp out and have a familiar cozy bed to sleep in nightly. In vehicles we could all move a little faster taking less total time for those that don't get a month off. We can say, "Join us for as long or as far as you can." Some may come for a week or two, but cannot make the full trip and have to turn back. At least they'd be in a vehicle and not on a small bike, so we could give them a warm sendoff as they head for home without worry weighing us down.

I'm getting more and more excited about this as I sit here thinking and typing! I'd rather do this than Moab next year. It seems like a more exciting use of my vacation days for the upcoming year. Maybe others will see it the same way and shift their planning here instead for 2017. It'd be great to get a decent sized group together to enjoy this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    this could be approached by both Land and Sea
    Good practice for the end times..! A tactical assault on Alaska!
    TWilight and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Some fellows I met along the way.
    Some of you guys know how to roll...
    littletommy likes this.

Sorry about the hijack, but let me ask you PAC Norwesters something. Hypothetically, would it be practical to ride south from Seattle to Las Vegas in late October? I'd want to ride Forest and back roads down through the eastern parts of the states and into Nevada. Is that too late? I've never been to that neck of the woods.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links