Kid and I finally got on the dirt/gravel - Buffalo Creek, Colorado Area
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Kid and I finally got on the dirt/gravel - Buffalo Creek, Colorado Area

Kid and I finally got on the dirt/gravel - Buffalo Creek, Colorado Area

As most of you know this is my son and I's first motorcycle experience. This weekend we took the TW200s camping up near Buffalo Creek. During our little day trips we stayed on the fire access roads, RD550 and RD560. The ride seemed kind of loose a few times. It gave a us quite a few "pucker" moments but we wrote that off to our lack of experience.

We are both very excited to get back out on the fire roads and get some more experience on gravel and dirt.

IMG_1396.jpg IMG_1427.jpg IMG_1423.jpg IMG_1425.jpg
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

I can see it now, the handwriting is on the wall. I'm living it and I can see you two will as well. Someday in the future, you will graduate to singletrack trails experiencing unanticipated overnight rides which will get your relations nervous if not outright panicked. ...and you two will be having fun the whole time totally unaware a Search & Rescue has been initiated!

I like riding with others from time-to-time, but the best rides of all are with my wife, son's, and our daughters. You two are gonna have a blast this summer!

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Someday in the future, you will graduate to singletrack trails experiencing unanticipated overnight rides which will get your relations nervous if not outright panicked.
    So you DID noticed that I forgot all my trail tools, gas, and extra tubes back at camp?
    ejfranz, Fred, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How wonderful that you are doing this while your family is still together as one. The one thing I truly regret is being away working. I should have been out riding with the kids and a pole in the lake. Now they are scattered to the wind and hardly get to see them.

This June we are having the chance to get together for a few weeks while school is out. Hope I can last 3wks keeping up with the little tigers. Will start out with gma's woodpile, that should take a little fire out of them lol.

I have had some great times riding with my son and daughter.
    Your going to have a lot of fun and some good family rivalry.
    Follow me if you can, and I think we can make that hill moments.

As for those pucker moments, have you aired down the tires?
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    ...... The ride seemed kind of loose a few times. It gave a us quite a few "pucker" moments but we wrote that off to our lack of experience....
    As far as I can tell from the pic with the kayaks, you still have the OEM Death Wing front tire. It is one of the worst possible tires on loose gravel roads! I know that just having spent mucho dinero on the two bikes, the idea of throwing away two barely used Bridgestones is appalling, but consider what might have happened if either one of you did in fact tuck the front in a turn. Would it be worth $80 to you to avoid eating gravel at 20 mph after having the front wash out? Having the front tire wash out on gravel is MUCH MUCH worse than a rear slide because it happens very fast and there is NOTHING you can do to deal with it once it goes beyond a couple of inches..... You are going to face plant full length into the road.

I experienced exactly the same feeling as you just had on loose gravel, which we have a lot of here, to the point I would not want to lean the OEM more than 10 degrees in turns. I changed to the Kenda 270 at 4,000 miles and immediately wished I had done it at 35 miles.

Just last month I changed out the Kenda with 8,000 miles for the Shinko 241, and it is FAR superior to the Kenda 270 or the Shinko 244 Golden Boy in gravel....light years better than the OEM. I can now lean to 25-30 degrees with confidence due to a much more predictable feel.

It is NOT your inexperience, but just plain poor tire design for gravel.....nothing wrong with the OEM for pavement, but it just plain sucks on loose gravel.....(and quite few other dirt surfaces!) It is true that you can improve the dirt performance of the OEM by going down to 12 psi, but the real improvement is with a different tire design.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-23-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Purple, goldenhtr, LuvNot and 3 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

This is what it all about and why you bought those bikes.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    As far as I can tell from the pic with the kayaks, you still have the OEM Death Wing front tire. It is one of the worst possible tires on loose gravel roads! I know that just having spent mucho dinero on the two bikes, the idea of throwing away two barely used Bridgestones is appalling, but consider what might have happened if either one of you did in fact tuck the front in a turn. Would it be worth $80 to you to avoid eating gravel at 20 mph after having the front wash out? Having the front tire wash out on gravel is MUCH MUCH worse than a rear slide because it happens very fast and there is NOTHING you can do to deal with it once it goes beyond a couple of inches..... You are going to face plant full length into the road.

I experienced exactly the same feeling as you just had on loose gravel, which we have a lot of here, to the point I would not want to lean the OEM more than 10 degrees in turns. I changed to the Kenda 270 at 4,000 miles and immediately wished I had done it at 35 miles.

Just last month I changed out the Kenda with 8,000 miles for the Shinko 241, and it is FAR superior to the Kenda 270 or the Shinko 244 Golden Boy in gravel....light years better than the OEM. I can now lean to 25-30 degrees with confidence due to a much more predictable feel.

It is NOT your inexperience, but just plain poor tire design for gravel.....nothing wrong with the OEM for pavement, but it just plain sucks on loose gravel.....(and quite few other dirt surfaces!) It is true that you can improve the dirt performance of the OEM by going down to 12 psi, but the real improvement is with a different tire design.
    This is very good advice!
    littletommy and Purple like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    This is very good advice!
    I was going to post up the death wing story too but hesitated. My buddy punctured a lung and broke some ribs after getting back in the dirt after a very long hiatus. It's not that we are blowing this out of proportion. A well practiced experienced rider will have much better luck recovering and not panicking from a front tire wash out. New inexperienced or out of practice riders will in most cases wind up eating dirt. I'll say this, of all the money I've dumped into the goat the one thing that so far that seems to be well earning the investment is the 241.

I was out in the sand last night heating the engine up for some testing of the oil cooler and let me tell you, it's much more enjoyable seeing sand and not going holly crap here we go again! Hold on for dear life, sit back, put your weight more on the pegs, get off the front, gun it! HOLD ON.....! hahaha lol. (YOU SHOULD STILL DO THAT BY THE WAY)

Honestly it's much more controllable and MORE importantly predictable. Before the stock tire was like bi-polar rubber, i never knew what to expect. If and when I get another goat the first thing I will do is put a 241 on it, in-fact I already bought the tire.. cuz, well you know. I'm addicted and I WILL buy another! WHO'S GOT ONE?

Well done – these experiences are what forms a bond, and is never forgotten .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links