Single Track Group Ride Video
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Single Track Group Ride Video

Single Track Group Ride Video

Some friends came by this weekend and we had a single track themed trail ride. Dale ( Boarder255) was craving some single tracks so decided to give him the big tour with lots of varied terrain. Thought I'ld share some of the different flavors we enjoyed today on what seemed like 20 miles of single track. Other Forum Members Adam-in-Nevada and evan came along to help kick up the dust and help me extricate Betty Boop from sagebrush and off hi-centered boulders.. Video should be 720i
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

We started out around 9:30 after bacon-n-egg breakfast and only did a total of about 35 miles. Yet didn't get back 'till about 5 p.m. Guess we took a few breaks and din't ride all that fast except for the 12 or so "road" miles that completed the loop.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

fewer rocks, but another classic fred ride!
    littletommy and TWilight like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looking at the video several times, difficulti-wise, that looks to be about the same as The Challenge Loop that I used to go on in Hollister though The Loop was only about half as long as your trail. And I am willing to bet you have many more trails to go on than just this one. Awesome!!!
    littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

We went on perhaps a dozen trail segments as part of a much larger riding maze spilling over both sides of the mountain. Like to transit the open sage terrain in the morning to get to the cooler forested areas on the far side.
    Indeed there were some rocky challenges that didn't get "filmed". The best was when while summiting a really nasty boulder strewn climb Mike's new Duro got enough traction to generate a really massive wheelie and one-wheel dogleg turn in order to stay on trail. Mighty impressive! I had failed that climb just before and instead chewed my way through sagebrush making a by-pass. Another unfilmed moment was when a narrow chute had Betty repeatedly lofting her front tire only to slam down on a sharp boulder leaving her hi-centered. Left some serious Ricochet aluminum on that big rock!
    littletommy, Mel, elime and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Never mind -- your trail sounds more challenging. Tony
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Great video Fred. I ride exclusively off-road on the west coast of Michigan's Lower Peninsula - no rocks here, just sand! Those boulder fields looked amazing! Single tracking here means dealing with a lot of tree roots, which can be very slippery when wet. Nice range of terrain in the video too.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.

I bet those Michigan woods are a lot tighter and chock full of slippery roots. The sort of place you trim you handlebars shorter to fit between the trees?

Now I especially liked the expanses of wildflowers we saw like the field of lupines in the opening scene. Other places had mix of flowers of varying hues...yellow, white, pink, blue. An El Nino year meant that late season off and on rain and snow up to today allowed not only lush tall plant growth up to the edge of trails but also a lot of erosion and deep ruts caused by narrow tired bikes like Dale's 4.10 tired XT225. Mike and my 8 inch Duros had to straddle many a narrow trench.

Unfortunately Adam and I led Mike down a few paths where his pannier equipped TW was just too wide for the available gap between rocks. Believe we all did a little scrapping and our skid plates came home with souvenir dings and gouges from another one of Phredz Easy Trails.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-29-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Interestingly enough the only other bikes we saw were a group of three KTMs and a solitary Honda maintaing the seemingly regional average of three Austrian KTMs for every one Japanese off-road bike. Local folks love the KTMs despite their rather demanding service requirements. I would love a Beta or KTM but balk at notion that many items have a service life of ten to twenty hours.
    ejfranz and kj7687 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    many items have a service life of ten to twenty hours.

I had no idea.. wow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links