Pine Barrens Under Siege
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Pine Barrens Under Siege

Pine Barrens Under Siege

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this website but it appears that your PB has gotten way to popular. Watch the two videos in this link and you will see what's going on. I think the writing is on the wall to end the motorized vehicles in the Barrens.

https://pinebarrensundersiege.com/

I see both sides of this issue. Back in the early 90s my brother and I bought Honda Four Wheelers and the fun began. We own a good bit of property in WV and we made trails everywhere. Through the woods, streams, hill climbs, around our lakes and all around our fields. My three teenage son rode and we invited friends to join us in the fun but after three years we noticed the toll it took on our land. We cut so many trails above my brothers lake that the water always stayed muddy. The rain washed gullies in all our trails and around our Christmas Tree fields making it difficult to turn our mowers around. We were destroying our land so we graded all the trails and planted grass. Now we just putt around carful not to tear it up again.

I was a member of a hunting club that owned and leased almost 3,000 acres here in the Catskills mountains. The property was loaded with old wood roads, stage coach paths and even a very old highway that ran through it 70 years ago. All was fine for a few years until all the members who had kids and friends all decided it was a moto sport haven. During the hunting season we limited the use to hunting only and ATVs going to and from various sections but in non hunting seasons members could ride and bring friends. It became a zoo. The trails were torn up and lots of new trails were made by riders exploring plus the wet spots got torn up bad and impassable from so many playing in them. Then one invited guest got hurt pretty bad and decided to file a law suit. That ended all the non hunting riding on the property and we had to gate it off so no non members could go on it.

I don't think that ATVs or MCs do that much damage when driven responsibly taking care to not trash the trails. That gets out of hand real quick from the constant and irresponsible pounding from recreational riding. Mud pits might be fun for the ATV riders but not so much for the hunters paying the bills who want to get in and out along the trails that were there for many, many years with no real damage. We hated being spoil sports but the trails got trashed pretty bad and it simply had to stop.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I understand. Our trail system has been pretty much shut down for the same reasons. That and all the trash left behind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would have to say these problems started with 4 wheelers and now the technology that goes into all of these types of off-road vehicles has surpassed what the land can bare. People buy these machines that are basicly Roto tillers in the woods and just rip and tear totally unconscious of the effects there having on the earth. I may sound a little like a tree hugger when I say that but when your a farmer and land owner...you get it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I would have to say these problems started with 4 wheelers and now the technology that goes into all of these types of off-road vehicles has surpassed what the land can bare. People buy these machines that are basicly Roto tillers in the woods and just rip and tear totally unconscious of the effects there having on the earth. I may sound a little like a tree hugger when I say that but when your a farmer and land owner...you get it!!!
    I do understand. The big trucks have made the mud holes so deep a bike or quad can't get through. That and the fact if you do build a single track trail they will come along and tear it up along with any trees or brush that gets in their way. I've tried to tell them about shooting them self in the foot but they just don't care.

When I ride my TW off road I go with one simple attitude, Leave no tracks"

I do get the entire idea of having fun while riding but that fun for a few ends up getting the places to do it closed to all ORVs. When you are out riding and off your own property and get hurt it is no ones fault but your own but you will always find a lawyer willing to file a law suit. People are always their own worst enemies and I don't have much sympathy in any of this. We had to trailer in 55 gallon drums to pick up all the trash left behind by our own members and their friends and we gave them all fair warning long before we closed the property.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

This is how it should be done...

I received this for helping to run the largest grass roots cleanup ever at Wharton State Forest. We did this for years.. Then They came.. more later.. YES I have opinions..

Voluteer recognition.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    You do not sound like a tree hugger. You sound responsible. For years my Cousin would let no one hunt on her farm as people would make promises and not keep them such as putting fences back up. tearing up her wheat fields. So when she offered up her place to go hunting this last year to myself, my Brother-in-law, and my Dad. We took her advice and cautions very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    This is how it should be done...

I received this for helping to run the largest grass roots cleanup ever at Wharton State Forest. We did this for years.. Then They came.. more later.. YES I have opinions..

Voluteer recognition.jpg
    Good on you Bro... Unfortunately there are just enough morons that threaten everybody's ability to enjoy motorized fun.

One nice fellow put a bunch of trash cans out and promised to pick them up if people would use them. The azz hats just ran them over and crushed them. Needless to say he did not do it again. Having tried and failed to talk any sense into the drunken fools I gave up and sold my quad as the amount of stupid became too much.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links