Fire Tower Ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Fire Tower Ride

Fire Tower Ride

Took the TW out for a ride after work yesterday along a few "Seasonal Roads" and up into a couple of the State Forest areas near where I live. I tried to explore a few places that I haven't been before. Leonard Hill state Forest supposedly has an old fire tower and I went looking for it. The roads were pretty washed out from all the rain, with lots of ruts and some areas of two-track actually looking more like a single track next to a small stream, but those chubby tires don't care.

Anyway, I did finally find the tower. It looks long abandoned, and the first couple tiers of ladder/stairs are gone.

My curiosity, sense of adventure, and refusal to grow old gracefully eventually got the best of me, so I climbed up enough to use the stairs and go to the top. Absolutely amazing view, and I could really feel the tower swaying in the breeze. The floor was long gone at the top platform so I snapped a quick pic from the top step.

Spent the next hour or so taking the long way home. Turned out to be about a 75 mile round trip. A great way to enjoy a gorgeous afternoon.
    2009 TW200
    2000 V-Star Classic
    1986 HD Sportster (sold)
    1975 Yamaha DT125 (sold)

ha ha ha I would have wanted to climb up too!!
    Rickhem likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Last edited by Kasky; 06-24-2016 at 04:38 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A pic from inside the fire tower I used to ride in every day....circa 2006....

Looks kind of like some of the Towers I use to man at Tan Son Nhut {Saigon} back in 1970....at Night, just me and my M-16 and a little M-60 ...

Tango one Tan Son Nhut redux.gif
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

We have a fire tower called Apply Pie Hill Fire Tower.
    Tower2U.jpg
    Tower4U.jpg
    Tower1U.jpg

It's in the pine barrens and will be closed soon do to the idiots carrying tv's and trash up it and tossing it down... I give it the summer.
    Hoot Gibson and littletommy like this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Jacky Petersen and I climbed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    Jacky Petersen and I climbed that.
    I wanted to climb it as well but my foot hurt. Lol

Had the most enjoyable time back when I owned my Shadow, trying to visit many of TN's towers. Coulda used a dual sport then, for sure. They remind me of a nostalgic time before the population explosion and the state had more forests that needed protecting. Back when people still used eyeballs to see instead of relying on digital technology. Here's the webpage I put together. (Forgive some of the broken links, the page is ancient.) Tennessee Fire Towers

Most interesting was the Fall Creek Falls tower. IIRC it was built in the 1800's to commemorate the Civil War and originally located on Lookout Mt. in Chattanooga. Then got moved 60 miles to FCF where it remains today in the state park.

Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    Had the most enjoyable time back when I owned my Shadow, trying to visit many of TN's towers. Coulda used a dual sport then, for sure. They remind me of a nostalgic time before the population explosion and the state had more forests that needed protecting. Back when people still used eyeballs to see instead of relying on digital technology. Here's the webpage I put together. (Forgive some of the broken links, the page is ancient.) Tennessee Fire Towers

Most interesting was the Fall Creek Falls tower. IIRC it was built in the 1800's to commemorate the Civil War and originally located on Lookout Mt. in Chattanooga. Then got moved 60 miles to FCF where it remains today in the state park.
    Wow, you've been to quite a few of them!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links