Albion Mountains and the City of Rocks near Oakley, Idaho
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Albion Mountains and the City of Rocks near Oakley, Idaho

Albion Mountains and the City of Rocks near Oakley, Idaho

Couple Saturdays ago Mrs. Admiral and I headed to Oakley to meet her parents. They were on a week long wagon ride, we where on a day long TW ride.

We rode from Oakley to Elba over the Basin-Elba Pass. Tried riding to Independence Lakes off the pass but snow drifts finally stopped us. Then rode south to Almo, then into City of Rocks. Made a quick stop to see our in-laws on a wagon ride in the area before we headed back to Oakley via more mountain roads. Good times.

Old Mormon or LDS Chapel east of Oakley at a spot on the map called Basin. Oakley, population 763 ish, was named for William Oakley, the proprietor of a 19th-century stagecoach station located at a spring currently located about 2 miles west of the present townsite known as Oakley Meadows

Little sign out front. Oakley is a small hamlet has served as home to a surprising number of famous Americans and is also rich in old west lore, such as the tale of Diamondfield Jack. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakley,_Idaho; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Davis_(prospector)

View of the Basin-Oakley are to the west as we head to Elba via the road over the Basin-Elba Pass

Overlooking the Basin-Elba Pass area from the road taking us to Independence Lakes. The road veers off at the pass!

As it turned out, mother nature was still blocking the route to the lakes and we had to turn back.

Wilbur with a little snow on the peg

We see some neat old log buildings as we drop down on the east side of the pass towards Elba

Another Mormon LDS building in Elba. I thought it was another LDS Chapel, and it may have been at one time, but a sign said it was the "Relief Society" which is women's organization within the LDS Church. I wonder if it was used as a school as well?

Mrs. Admiral smiles in Elba

No pictures of Almo but it has some neat old buildings and you can get gas, food, lodging, etc there.
    http://www.almocreek.com/history/

Picture says it all.

City of Rocks has some rocks. https://www.nps.gov/ciro/index.htm

Pinnacle Pass on the California Trail, a branch off the Oregon Trail which goes through the City of Rocks

Old building now inside the City of Rocks border

I don't know rock

Twin Sisters

Kind of weird here. We found these people glued to the side of a rock. I think this guy was trying to pee. Not 100% sure though!

Mrs. Admiral did mention that they might be rock climbers 'er sumpin. I still like my glued on theory!

After a short visit with the wagon train (watch video), we headed back up into the hills

But what goes up must come down. More old buildings along the road on our descent

It was a good day to ride. We put on 90 something miles. We've never been here before. I'd do it again!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I had no idea that that bike was So Pink!

You too make me jealous and no, not for a pink bike

You have so much fun together! That's why...

Snow on the pegs... people glued to rocks....doesn't get any better, or better told than one of admiral and Mrs. Admiral's adventures.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    I had no idea that that bike was So Pink!

You too make me jealous and no, not for a pink bike

You have so much fun together! That's why...
    We do enjoy our time together for sure! I did try fluorescent pink but that wasn't going to turn out so great! Not seeking it, but the color sure is an attention getter. At the City of Rocks sign, 2 guys got out of a pickup and offered to take our picture. I'm too ugly so that photo didn't make the cut here. Anyway, they wanted us (me) to take a picture of them. They insisted Mrs. Admiral and Wilbur be in the picture with them. One is an offroad rider down in California and he wanted to show his buddies the pink bike. True Story!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Snow on the pegs... people glued to rocks....doesn't get any better, or better told than one of admiral and Mrs. Admiral's adventures.
    I used the word glued because at the time I wrote this I couldn't remember how to spell velcro or they would have been velcroed to the rock!

Lori has the "B-E-S-T" smile ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMM.

Another great ride report admiral, thank you for sharing it.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I was just looking at the 'City of Rocks' on the map. Thanks for the info!! Arriving SLC on July 12th and heading north.
    littletommy, admiral and TWilight like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    I was just looking at the 'City of Rocks' on the map. Thanks for the info!! Arriving SLC on July 12th and heading north.
    If you were just riding through, there is a road which will take you up in the mountains where we rode. We started running into more and more snow which is one reason we dropped off the mountain. Most likely clear of snow by the time you would come in the area. The road I'm talking about is the upper City of Rocks road on the western border where the "Seasonal Gate" is shown on the map I posted. There is a sign which will say access to national forest and takes you north towards Graham Pk. There are still campsites along this road until you depart City of Rocks to the North. The southern road (traveling east to west from Almo) dumps you out in the valley and the road would take you straight to Oakley. This road was a little sandy loose but not horrible and gets better the farther north you go. We rode on this road and came back into the City of Rocks on the northwest entrance road, again the "Seasonal Gate".. The access road I mentioned above would be on your left if you came in this way. The City of Rocks is not that big and there are other campsite throughout but it could get pretty hot in the middle of July.

I don't know if you're camping or motel-ling, but I did see some kind of Motel or something in Almo which is just outside the park. Almo has a General Store with gas and a couple places to eat. A pizza joint and steakhouse. Mrs. Admirals parents said they had to eat at the Bar in Oakley and when we drove by that place and it didn't look that great. I don't know if Oakley has a place to stay other than the nice RV park by the airport so I would recommend Almo over Oakley in both food and shelter. About 30 miles up the highway from Oakley is Burley and it has everything and way bigger.

That's kind of the extent of my knowledge for a scout report for you as I haven't spent much time in this part of the state. I had been through Oakley before on a wagon ride but we were staying in the wagons and not town-ing it!
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    Just a heads up re: enjoying time together. There is a dinner/dance in your neck of the woods Sat. the 25th!!!
    We have never been dancing. It's against our religion. Where is this located, though we're probably gone riding somewhere anyway?

By the way dancing isn't against our religion. Mrs. Admiral saw me try to dance and I don't think she was impressed...at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links