TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Danskin OHV Trail System East of Boise

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  JerseyJeeper 
#1 ·
In August 2013 a fire (Pony Fire) swept across this area thus closing the area for the remainder of 2013. For restoration reasons it remained closed until June 2015. I hadn't ridden out here since May of 2012 with RoninBoise and Idaho Larry. Time to revisit!

This was our 43 mile 6 hour route

This was also the first time I had started the ride from the east side (Case Creek Trailhead).

This was also the first time Mrs. Admiral has ridden here

Ridge Rid'in. It's also the first time I've ridden trail 500.

Mrs. Admiral commented on how sandy the trail was.

I commented on how steep it was in spots

Watch out behind those rocks!

As a kid I always dreamed of the old west. Riding through this section I envisioned I was a stagecoach driver and leery of being robbed by the local highwaymen.
high·way·man; nounhistorical
; plural noun: highwaymen; a man, typically on horseback, who held up travelers at gunpoint in order to rob them.

Danskin OHV 2016-1 Trail 500

WARNING: If you are afraid of snakes, you may want to close your eye's and ear's around the 1:55 minute mark for several seconds. I give you plenty of warning in the video as well.

End of Part I

See less See more
1 8
#2 ·
Very interesting road..nice smooth, sandy, twisty ridge line route looked extremely fun.
If you were a good traditional Navajo you would have gotten off and erased the snakes slither marks when you crossed his trail. It is felt your ancestor's spirits can be mixed in with the snake's. Just a courtesy to Mr.Snake so bad spirits do not pursue snake and your ancestor's spirit.

#3 · (Edited)
All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior
Beautiful Desolation! You guys have it made with all the neat places out your way. also it looks like we run the same tires on our ATV's.

#5 ·
Beautiful Desolation! You guys have it made with all the neat places out your way.
...but wait there's more. There is some more beautifuler desolation to come!

#4 ·
I suspect trail 500 was in fact a road at one time as there are roads shown on the map at both ends of this trail. However, this trail is now not much wider than the ATV and in some sections its to narrow for a jeep to get through.

And see, there is so much of my Blonde hair blued eyed Navajo ancestor's traditions I was never taught! I'm quite sure, regardless of the snake involved, that I'm getting down on the ground to erase the slither marks of where I just saw the snake. Nope not me, ancestors be darned!:D

#6 ·
Danskin Part II

We drop off the ridges down to the creeks on trail 520. Don't confuse trail 520 with 420 or you'll get lost and confused.:p

520 has some nice gently switchbacks as we descend into the gulch

I'm still scratching! We found a nice shaded spot for lunch. Two things here; one is the Pony Fire didn't completely wipe out everything as I had thought, and two, Mrs. Admiral found a tick crawling on her so she sat on the ATV and I stood next to it for lunch.

Our first water crossing of the day (Jack Creek). Most of my riding here has been done in the month of May and I can say the water levels in June are a lot lower but still welcome when you are hot.
Georgie appreciates the water holes.

Danskin OHV 2016 2 Trail 520

End of Part II

#7 · (Edited)
Part III

Trail 300 is sort of the main trail running down the middle of most of the trail system. Many motorcycle riders you this to quickly get to some of the singletrack trails which junction with this one. Most of the ATV trails out here are mild, even for a motorcycle. The singletrack trails can have spots we TW riders couldn't even attempt because of the steepness.

Nice gently switchbacks. Not like the singletrack switchback I normally see up in the mountains. Most of the time I have to dismount to negotiate the switchbacks.

More water at the junction of trails 300 & 317 but Georgie didn't want to jump off. Sure can tell she's getting older. Years past she would have jumped right in. Nowadays she has to give it considerable thought!

But eventually she gives in

End of Part III

#8 ·
Danskin 2016 Part IV Trail 317

The Pony fire engulfed the entire OHV area but little evidence remains some 3 years later. Oh, we see some burn evidence but with so many past fires burning here over the years, it's hard to tell what happened when.

After this fire, many organizations volunteered with various restoration efforts. This is one of the groups which helped get this area restored enough for recreational use again.
Thanks Mtn. Home Chapter!

Taking a break after going through Willow Creek. Willow Creek singletrack trail takes off to the left here. 10 years or so ago, me and son #2 tried riding Willow Creek Trail 400. There were so many creek crossings within the first 1/2 mile and it was so rough we gave up and turned around. That was from the other end of the trail though. Trail looks easy enough now, giggle!

Mrs. Admiral & Georgie flying through the beautiful desolation! :D

Now we really start to see some beautiful desolation as we drop into Fiddler Flat and the rim above the South Fork of the Boise River.

Little farther along the trail you can see the town of Prairie, Idaho way way off in the distance.

On the cliff above the S.Fk. Boise River on Fiddler Flat

This is Fiddler Flat below on our ride out

Close up. Down below us out of the pictures is an old boiler. RoninBoise once told me the reason for the boiler was to power a sawmill. I haven't seen much evidence or ever heard of a mine being in the area so this very well could be true.

Made it to the pass, so to speak. Once here I really get the feeling the ride is almost over

One last water hole

It was a great day for a ride. And that's all I got to say about that.

#9 ·
Wow!!!

#10 ·
Wow Admiral! That ride is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to put these on the forum. I love seeing new areas and this is a beautiful one. I am sure it was even more fun to share it with your wife. Kudos to you both.

#15 ·
In the last video riding into Fiddler Flat use to be gorgeous but after the 2013 fire so many of the little tree's have been burnt it really changed this part. I watched one of my 2012 video's when we rode here and really noticed the difference. Still very scenic, but if you've ridden the area before you are let down a little because of the fire.

#14 ·
We made a huge mistake taking Georgie. Oh she rode great but the next day she could hardly move (sore joints). We thought she'd be ok on the ATV but not so much. For sure her last ride other than to the mailbox and back. She's ok now and back to her old lady moving self. We give her those joint medicated biscuits but plan on taking her to the Vet for a little more joint help.

So here's the take on the sand. No doubt not nearly as bad as Michigan "sugar sand".

Mrs. Admiral made mention of how loose and deep the sand was. Matter of fact we rode out here so she could check it out on the ATV before maybe attempting to ride her TW here but not just for sand. Not happening, like you noticed the sand makes this a no-go for her on the TW.

Now this is to be taken in context, I didn't even pay attention to the sand. To me it wasn't deep or loose at all and truth is most of the sand is just a "coating" on top of hardpack. In one of the video's I made a comment about it being "nasty" but that comment was because it was a steep hill and not sand. I'd like to say I didn't have any problem because of the new Ceros tire on the back, but I've ridden here in the past on the stock rear and not have a problem.

Now there are really deep sandy spots, but most of those are on the extremely steep singletrack hills were the dirt bikes have tore it up. I've been on some of that before with the TW and I can say the Ceros would probably help in those spots.

So, prior experience riding in some stand is key and if you don't mind a little sand you'll be just fine and probably not even notice it. If you're not use to sand then you probably won't like it which is why Mrs. Admiral will stay on the ATV for any future venture's out here!

#13 ·
For the most part you do feel like you are all by yourself but we did see several other riders. But they were pretty spread out over the 43 miles, and we were on the more used ATV trails. When you are on the true singletrack trails I've never met anyone.

On the first trail, 500, we met one oncoming Razor Quad. On the next trail, 520, while we were stopped at the water hole, 3-4 riders rode by going the same direction as us. Then another solo rider a few minutes later going the same direction. We hadn't moved yet as it was lunchtime. The solo rider stopped and talked with us for several minutes. He was having a blast. Guessing he was a tourist as he had Washington State Plates on his new shiny KTM dual-sport.

Later on 300 we met 2 more ATV's and 3 motorcycles and they were all in the same group, or grouped together at that point. Nothing the rest of the day. I am always concerned with oncoming traffic, especially around the corners which is why we're not riding at rip snort'in speed. Actually, I've never seen anyone riding with reckless abandon. I've heard of injuries from normal riding mishaps but never from a collision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.