Danskin OHV Trail System East of Boise
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Danskin OHV Trail System East of Boise

Danskin OHV Trail System East of Boise

In August 2013 a fire (Pony Fire) swept across this area thus closing the area for the remainder of 2013. For restoration reasons it remained closed until June 2015. I hadn't ridden out here since May of 2012 with RoninBoise and Idaho Larry. Time to revisit!

This was our 43 mile 6 hour route

This was also the first time I had started the ride from the east side (Case Creek Trailhead).

This was also the first time Mrs. Admiral has ridden here

Ridge Rid'in. It's also the first time I've ridden trail 500.

Mrs. Admiral commented on how sandy the trail was.

I commented on how steep it was in spots

Watch out behind those rocks!

As a kid I always dreamed of the old west. Riding through this section I envisioned I was a stagecoach driver and leery of being robbed by the local highwaymen.
    high·way·man; nounhistorical
    ; plural noun: highwaymen; a man, typically on horseback, who held up travelers at gunpoint in order to rob them.

Danskin OHV 2016-1 Trail 500

WARNING: If you are afraid of snakes, you may want to close your eye's and ear's around the 1:55 minute mark for several seconds. I give you plenty of warning in the video as well.

End of Part I
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Very interesting road..nice smooth, sandy, twisty ridge line route looked extremely fun.
    If you were a good traditional Navajo you would have gotten off and erased the snakes slither marks when you crossed his trail. It is felt your ancestor's spirits can be mixed in with the snake's. Just a courtesy to Mr.Snake so bad spirits do not pursue snake and your ancestor's spirit.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

DSCN0744.JPGBeautiful Desolation! You guys have it made with all the neat places out your way. also it looks like we run the same tires on our ATV's.
    Last edited by dogonit; 06-16-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I suspect trail 500 was in fact a road at one time as there are roads shown on the map at both ends of this trail. However, this trail is now not much wider than the ATV and in some sections its to narrow for a jeep to get through.

And see, there is so much of my Blonde hair blued eyed Navajo ancestor's traditions I was never taught! I'm quite sure, regardless of the snake involved, that I'm getting down on the ground to erase the slither marks of where I just saw the snake. Nope not me, ancestors be darned!
    littletommy, elime and grewen like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Beautiful Desolation! You guys have it made with all the neat places out your way.
    ...but wait there's more. There is some more beautifuler desolation to come!
    littletommy and JerseyJeeper like this.

Danskin Part II

We drop off the ridges down to the creeks on trail 520. Don't confuse trail 520 with 420 or you'll get lost and confused.

520 has some nice gently switchbacks as we descend into the gulch

I'm still scratching! We found a nice shaded spot for lunch. Two things here; one is the Pony Fire didn't completely wipe out everything as I had thought, and two, Mrs. Admiral found a tick crawling on her so she sat on the ATV and I stood next to it for lunch.

Our first water crossing of the day (Jack Creek). Most of my riding here has been done in the month of May and I can say the water levels in June are a lot lower but still welcome when you are hot.
    Georgie appreciates the water holes.

Danskin OHV 2016 2 Trail 520

End of Part II

Part III

Trail 300 is sort of the main trail running down the middle of most of the trail system. Many motorcycle riders you this to quickly get to some of the singletrack trails which junction with this one. Most of the ATV trails out here are mild, even for a motorcycle. The singletrack trails can have spots we TW riders couldn't even attempt because of the steepness.

Nice gently switchbacks. Not like the singletrack switchback I normally see up in the mountains. Most of the time I have to dismount to negotiate the switchbacks.

More water at the junction of trails 300 & 317 but Georgie didn't want to jump off. Sure can tell she's getting older. Years past she would have jumped right in. Nowadays she has to give it considerable thought!

But eventually she gives in

End of Part III
    Last edited by admiral; 06-16-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Danskin 2016 Part IV Trail 317

The Pony fire engulfed the entire OHV area but little evidence remains some 3 years later. Oh, we see some burn evidence but with so many past fires burning here over the years, it's hard to tell what happened when.

After this fire, many organizations volunteered with various restoration efforts. This is one of the groups which helped get this area restored enough for recreational use again.
    Thanks Mtn. Home Chapter!

Taking a break after going through Willow Creek. Willow Creek singletrack trail takes off to the left here. 10 years or so ago, me and son #2 tried riding Willow Creek Trail 400. There were so many creek crossings within the first 1/2 mile and it was so rough we gave up and turned around. That was from the other end of the trail though. Trail looks easy enough now, giggle!

Mrs. Admiral & Georgie flying through the beautiful desolation!

Now we really start to see some beautiful desolation as we drop into Fiddler Flat and the rim above the South Fork of the Boise River.

Little farther along the trail you can see the town of Prairie, Idaho way way off in the distance.

On the cliff above the S.Fk. Boise River on Fiddler Flat

This is Fiddler Flat below on our ride out

Close up. Down below us out of the pictures is an old boiler. RoninBoise once told me the reason for the boiler was to power a sawmill. I haven't seen much evidence or ever heard of a mine being in the area so this very well could be true.

Made it to the pass, so to speak. Once here I really get the feeling the ride is almost over

One last water hole

It was a great day for a ride. And that's all I got to say about that.

Wow!!!
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Wow Admiral! That ride is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to put these on the forum. I love seeing new areas and this is a beautiful one. I am sure it was even more fun to share it with your wife. Kudos to you both.
    2013 (old stock bought new by me in 2015), 700 miles as of May 2016, 14/55 with DID o-ring at 50 miles, Cyclops 3800 LED, superbright.com tail/brake LED (1157-R45-T: 1157 Red), superbright.com turn signal indicator (BA9S-G4-32-12VAC: Green 32 Degree 12V), ebay bark busters, ebay wide footpegs, manracks with rotopax, 1 gal rotopax, plasti-dip on all plastics Oct 2015, ebay mirror extenders, 80% trail/20% road, ALL maintenance per manual, BY ME ONLY (more freq. oil changes, reusing orig. filter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links