Padre Island National Seashore (TX) - anyone interested?
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By HobbitRider
  • 2 Post By HobbitRider

Thread: Padre Island National Seashore (TX) - anyone interested?

Padre Island National Seashore (TX) - anyone interested?

The Longest Stretch of Undeveloped Barrier Island in The World! No roads, just riding the beach. I was planning to ride the entire length of 60 miles one way by myself, but I am reading that at the south end you might not see anyone for a day or two so I am concerned about being stranded. I see this being a two day trip. My schedule is very flexible, but would like to go soon. If I can't find a buddy I will probably go down and ride the more populated beaches, since every beach in Texas is legally a state highway.
    2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2001 Yamaha TW200

Where in central Texas are you?

I am in Belton.
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2001 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HobbitRider View Post
    The Longest Stretch of Undeveloped Barrier Island in The World! No roads, just riding the beach. I was planning to ride the entire length of 60 miles one way by myself, but I am reading that at the south end you might not see anyone for a day or two so I am concerned about being stranded. I see this being a two day trip. My schedule is very flexible, but would like to go soon. If I can't find a buddy I will probably go down and ride the more populated beaches, since every beach in Texas is legally a state highway.
    Welcome to the forum and that's exciting first post! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Got back yesterday - great ride and I did make it all the way to the jetty at the end! Overall, there was not as much deep sand as I expected, most of the way was hard packed. I rode close to the high tide mark and there were only occasional areas of sand I was forced into, mostly to get around parked vehicles. Out to around Mile 20 there was no deep sand, and most of the people were in this stretch - although fewer than I expected. Past that point not many people, and there is more sand but still very ridable. At least on the mighty TW200! I even grew a little bored and turned into the deepest sand and ruts I could find just to make it a challenge. And I grew to love my fat tired little bike even more as we laughed and frolicked in the sand! But I believe even lesser bikes - like KTMs, KLRs, BMWs, etc. could make it just fine. I highly recommend the trip, at least once for the experience. A couple of tips:

1. I left at high tide, figuring that if I could make it all the way down then I would not have any trouble getting back during low tide. This was the right choice.

2. I wasn't sure of my MPG traveling at the posted speed of 15 MPH, so I reached my turn around point short of the end and turned back. Luckily, some local fisherfolk gave me some gas a few miles up, so I turned back around and finished the trip. Turns out I did't need the gas. When I later checked my MPG, the little TW had managed 90 MPG at that speed! I usually only average 55 MPG highway. The posted speed limit is 15 MPH, although I was going about twice that and kept it in 3rd and 4th gear with the throttle barely cracked past idle.

3. I was glad I took a plastic disk to put under the kickstand. I just kept it wedged between the seat and gas tank. Although most places I really didn't need it.

IMG_1315.JPGIMG_1324.JPGIMG_1328.JPGIMG_1351.JPG
    Lomax and admiral like this.
    2009 Kawasaki KLR650
    2001 Yamaha TW200

Sponosred Links