What's up with Idaho?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: What's up with Idaho?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rhodetrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out wandering around
    Posts
    1,930

    What's up with Idaho?

    I have been planning a route up to British Columbia through Idaho. The Gem State is not co-operating. Magruder Corridor...closed until August. Lolo Motorway... closed till who knows when. I just have read that Baumgartner Rd that I planned to take from Ketchum to Pine is out of commission. Due to last year's fires... there's lots of deadfall and erosion. Not making things easy.
    Starting north from Salt Lake City on Thursday... but we don't know where we're going!
    Hoot Gibson, TWilight, Mel and 3 others like this.

    "Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

    "When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

    "Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

    Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hoot Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Grand Lake Ohio
    Posts
    4,385
    "but we don't know where we're going!"

    And that is different from most days, How?
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

    Hidden Content

    TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rhodetrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out wandering around
    Posts
    1,930
    Hmmm....well, not at all, now that you point it out.

    "Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

    "When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

    "Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

    Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Flathats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    656
    There is an alternative from Ketchum to Pine.... Pm me for my #....
    Fred, Rhodetrip and littletommy like this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Frosty Hollow
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    I have been planning a route up to British Columbia through Idaho. The Gem State is not co-operating. Magruder Corridor...closed until August. Lolo Motorway... closed till who knows when. I just have read that Baumgartner Rd that I planned to take from Ketchum to Pine is out of commission. Due to last year's fires... there's lots of deadfall and erosion. Not making things easy.
    Starting north from Salt Lake City on Thursday... but we don't know where we're going!
    Baumgartner is going to be out for quite a while. Magruder is being worked on but probably won't be open in time for your ride. Lolo motorway has reports of massive amounts of deadfall.

    Best to call the Forest Service when you get close to decision time to make sure. Also keep an eye in the PNW Thread on Advrider. Discussions about these routes are inter-mixed with normal ride traffic but there can be a lot gleaned from the conversations. You can ask a question in the PNW thread and get a pretty fast response too!

    Here's a couple I've read about some of the information you have just found out about. Good luck. ...and do call Flathats as he has good first hand knowledge of the region he lives in. Helped me out a ton when I went to the South Hills a few weeks ago.

    Baumgartner conditions | Page 2 | Adventure Rider

    Next in the B.D.R. series - IDBDR | Page 23 | Adventure Rider

    Palouse Riders | Page 140 | Adventure Rider

    Boise ride this weekend... | Page 455 | Adventure Rider


    This is the single track bypass in the Baumgartner area. Not so good is it? F.S. does plan on repairing the road one day but I bet it won't start this year! (my opinion).
    Rhodetrip, TWilight and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

  7. #6
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,257
    Or Jim, you could head that way by means of Spokane...and we could do lunch on me and get a little visit in...
    Rhodetrip likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  8. #7
    Senior Member Rhodetrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out wandering around
    Posts
    1,930
    Mike, that is pretty much my plan at this point. We're going to head to Logan, UT and then to Pocatello. Up through Craters of the Moon on the east side to Arco. Arco to MacKay, then west to Sun Valley. Then over to Pine.
    North on approximately the BDR. Magruder and Lolo made a loop...so I guess that's out. I was really looking forward to those.


    Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Jim, sometimes....after these bad forest fires, and the resulting needs for cleanup of the deadfall, and after really harsh winters, those kinds of roads/trails take time to reopen...as you well know.

    The digital info on what is open, and what is not, is not as up to date as the boots on the ground info.

    May I suggest that you get to SLC, retrieve the bikes from locker # ^%^, and get riding in the "direction" you want to go, and when faced with an impassable obstacle, ask the locals in that area....if I can't get from Point A to Point B this way, which route IS open. Usually the locals know much more than the bloggers will post.
    TWilight likes this.

    "Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

    "When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

    "Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

    Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

  9. #8
    Senior Member Rhodetrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out wandering around
    Posts
    1,930
    Thanks, Admiral. I saw the photo you posted last night....yeah, I think we will pass on that route. A couple of those threads I'm not familiar with, and I will check them out.

    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Baumgartner is going to be out for quite a while. Magruder is being worked on but probably won't be open in time for your ride. Lolo motorway has reports of massive amounts of deadfall.

    Best to call the Forest Service when you get close to decision time to make sure. Also keep an eye in the PNW Thread on Advrider. Discussions about these routes are inter-mixed with normal ride traffic but there can be a lot gleaned from the conversations. You can ask a question in the PNW thread and get a pretty fast response too!

    Here's a couple I've read about some of the information you have just found out about. Good luck. ...and do call Flathats as he has good first hand knowledge of the region he lives in. Helped me out a ton when I went to the South Hills a few weeks ago.

    Baumgartner conditions | Page 2 | Adventure Rider

    Next in the B.D.R. series - IDBDR | Page 23 | Adventure Rider

    Palouse Riders | Page 140 | Adventure Rider

    Boise ride this weekend... | Page 455 | Adventure Rider


    This is the single track bypass in the Baumgartner area. Not so good is it? F.S. does plan on repairing the road one day but I bet it won't start this year! (my opinion).
    Last edited by Rhodetrip; 07-12-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    admiral, TWilight and littletommy like this.

    "Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

    "When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

    "Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

    Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

  10. #9
    Senior Member Rhodetrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out wandering around
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathats View Post
    There is an alternative from Ketchum to Pine.... Pm me for my #....
    Thanks, Flathats. PM coming your way. I'll give you a call after we reach Utah.
    admiral, TWilight and littletommy like this.

    "Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

    "When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

    "Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

    Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

  11. #10
    Senior Member Rhodetrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out wandering around
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Or Jim, you could head that way by means of Spokane...and we could do lunch on me and get a little visit in...
    Thanks, littletommy! We could go out for a donut, at least!
    TWilight and littletommy like this.

    "Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

    "When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

    "Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

    Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New guy saying hello from Idaho!
    By countryrebel in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM
  2. New member from Idaho
    By Zilch in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM
  3. Idaho Adventure
    By Woofhound in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
  4. Hello Idaho!
    By OakCliffThumper in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
  5. WTB TW200 in Idaho
    By [email protected] in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM