Dangers Abound-All in a Days Ride
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Dangers Abound-All in a Days Ride

Dangers Abound-All in a Days Ride

With Mrs. Admiral gone for the weekend and my "working on the chain gang" for my son not happening until Sunday (shoveling rocks), I decided to take a short ride around Hell's Canyon. And by short I mean nearly 12 hours. Yikes! I think I left the house around 0930 and got home around 2030. My butt ached!
    And oh my the dangers!!! Sinkholes, drug smugglers, big horn sheep, treacherous roads near water without guardrails, city traffic, power dams, special ops helicopter attacks, and trails with who knows what animals lay in wait for one of my delcious Salted Nutroll candy bars. I'm just glad to have made it home alive!!!

Started the ride by taking the back way from home to Ontario, OR and then 201 (the 201 for you west coasters: Why West Coast Drivers Say 'The' Before Their Highway and Road Numbers - CityLab) to my official start at Huntington, OR.

It wasn't long before my first dangerous encounter between Ontario and Huntington. Sinkholes? Really? actually just gentle dips in the road as it turned out.

While not particularly dangerous in modern times, it was for members of the Utter-Van Ornum Party wagon train on the Oregon Trail some time back.
    https://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvis...IG%20Final.pdf. https://www.flickr.com/photos/121505...n/photostream/

Huntington used to be a big train town. I think this use to be the depot.

And this is where I encountered some massive traffic. Few months back, metropolis Huntington opened a marijuana store called 420ville! I did my very best to dodge all the traffic coming from Boise (Ada County) as they stopped in for "window shopping"! Literally about 20 cars in the parking area's and from what I could see, all but two license plates had Ada county plates on the cars (about 80 miles away). Wonder if it's worth the drive.

Started out as a medical marijuana joint (get it joint) and added, "recreational use" marijuana once their "paperwork" was in order. Me, I don't need a drug to be happy or heal me so I moved along!

Next danger was riding for miles along the western shore of Brownlee Reservoir with no guardrails. I was getting leery now by golly!

Thankfully it wasn't hot. Only low 80's for most of the ride in Hell's Canyon.

Hopefully, I have plenty of water. Starting to climb out of Hell's Canyon on my way through Richland and Halfway, Oregon

More metropolis, Halfway, Oregon. Ah, the good old days when gas was on $ .38 cents a gallon. I barely remember those days as I was just a youngster he he!

After departing Halfway and crossing back through Hell's Canyon, I decided to ride a few miles of forest service road north of Sturgill Lookout.

Not long after turning off the slab, eating a candy bar and taking a pee, I rounded a corner and got the bejesus scared out of me. A Black ops attack helicopter just about to lift off for a mission. This was the Idaho side so I knew they weren't after me. Oregon side is a different story all-together!

Helo took off with a couple operatives slung below. Actually, they were aerial electricians working on a nearby powerline...or so they say!!!

Open to hikers, equine, and MOTORCYCLES!!! Do I or don't I ride the singletrack. I ponder this for a while, but as I'm alone, cell phone battery dead, forgot my SPOT at home, yeah I'll go for it...not!

It's now getting really late in the day and I need to beeline for home, but not before I ride just this one short old logging road turned ATV trail. I had too!

I know some of you took it easy out there this weekend, but I'm every seeking the danger!

Take care and enjoy!!

Last edited by admiral; 07-18-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

nice post Kris!! I have to get down that way next year. there was one more danger you didn't recognize. on the Oregon side, there is a big group get together of Honda ct 90 and 110, on right now for a couple of weeks. if you came across them, they could have come at you like a herd of turtles
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Jeez!! Glad you made it back alive Admiral! What an ADVENTURE!
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Kris, that was a good post, makes me want to come down there and ride with you guys, still wet and cold here for July. I am not sure about this global warming crap....wife had the wood stove going last week to take the damp out and she was cold. Love the pics and the fact that you can see for miles and miles, here those damn trees get in the way!
    littletommy, grewen and admiral like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    Attachment 33011

I would pay money to do that ride down below.
    i'd pay money to watch you
    littletommy, admiral and old w/?? like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    nice post Kris!! I have to get down that way next year. there was one more danger you didn't recognize. on the Oregon side, there is a big group get together of Honda ct 90 and 110, on right now for a couple of weeks. if you came across them, they could have come at you like a herd of turtles
    You are partly correct on one more danger...on the Oregon side. I forgot to mention the group of 8-9 Harley's led my a Ducati which rolled into the True Value Hardware Store & Gas Station in Halfway. They were a bunch of mean lookin lady bikers. Or maybe they would prefer biker ladies, either way, I pushed Scoob out of the way so I wouldn't piss them off and end up in a roadside ditch! I soon high-tailed it out of town and they never did catch up to me. 'Course they could have been headed in the opposite direction. Mean lookin they were by gawd! I never did see the Honda CT90/110 group. They probably would have caught up to me and beat me to a bloody pulp leaving me in a roadside ditch. CT90/110 riders are mean too...in a group!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Jeez!! Glad you made it back alive Admiral! What an ADVENTURE!

I'm tellin you, it's a scary world out there!
    littletommy and grewen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    Kris, that was a good post, makes me want to come down there and ride with you guys, still wet and cold here for July. I am not sure about this global warming crap....wife had the wood stove going last week to take the damp out and she was cold. Love the pics and the fact that you can see for miles and miles, here those damn trees get in the way!

It's ok to see for mile and miles...when it ain't hot out. Then I'm lookin for the shade trees. I know what you me about lots-o-trees. On the first part of the Magruder Corridor heading west to east it's just driving through a bunch of tree's and you can't see nuttin except a family of Big Foot's. In a group are they called Big Feet instead of Big Foot's? I do not know! A bunch of "Sasquatch's" just doesn't sound right either. Way to wrong!

I'm shaking my head at you Mr. Admiral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Riding alone = bad
    Riding with a dead phone = bad
    Riding without your spot = bad
    Candy bar for lunch = bad
    I go away for a few days you turn into some bad biker dude. What if I was gone for a whole week!?!?!!?

What?ne_nau.gif

But I did tell your mom where I was going and she said she was writing it down. Well, actually she said she was writing it down when I asked her to let Georgie out of the house about an hour after I left. I assume she wrote where I was going as well! You should ask her for proof of the note and how accurate it was!fpalm.gif

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links