"Top of the World" - Forestdale Summit on Betty Boop
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: "Top of the World" - Forestdale Summit on Betty Boop

"Top of the World" - Forestdale Summit on Betty Boop

I had so much fun riding Mr.Gizmo after hours under the moonlight Sunday night that I wanted more for Monday's full moon. So I threw a few supplies into the van and Betty Boop on the back and headed out to the high country for a camp-n-ride. It was actually rather cold after dark above 8,000ft so not much moonlit riding occured. The next day though was superb. Here is but one of the destinations, a place from my youth my father referred to as "Top of the World".
    Note: If not automatic select 720i resolution for HD viewing.

I have dim memories of P.T.O. winching up and down the slope behind where Betty is parked in a converted PowerWagon ambulance my father had. I was maybe six years old and we went to a long abandoned mining town site of Summit City ( not the same one my Group Ride visited). Now the old wagon scar is barely visible and it is all wilderness.

Of note the only other people I saw in 90 something back-country miles were the group with skis and a tent set up on a snowfield. Some folks just got to get one more run in down the slopes.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-20-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

So I've been to Chicken, Alaska and TWilight's TW has been to the Forestdale Summit when he loaned it to me on last year's group ride. Small world at times.
    Old w/2 many guns & bikes has been to the "Top of the World" too!
    TWilight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Camphttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/579032a7...165719_394.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Geez fred!
    now you head over to blue lakes?
    a beautiful area!

did you make it down to the campgrounds? the middle campground has been closed permanently due to risk of flooding if the dam breaks in the evert of a quake.
    who to blame?? dam fault!
    TWilight likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sorry Joe, no Blue Lakes this time. I turned around before Lost Lakes and headed back towards Red Lake. I wanted to take the old Fremont Military Road pioneered by Kit Carson to Faith Valley ( a fabulous motorcycle trail in the past) but it is closed to motor vehicles now.

I already had a full days ride anyways starting on the far side of Carson Pass high above Caples and Woods Lakes then riding west past Kirkwood and Silver Lake to the Tragedy Springs area. There I tried to track down some trails I had been meaning to ride for decades. Most of the 2W trails (singletrack) on my old map were closed but there is one I simply must drag Adam-in-Nevada back to ride; if only to pick my bike up when I drop it. I owe him a return trip since we stopped before when there was a road closure.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-21-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    Mel and joeband like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

The further up you rode the chillier I got and started gasping for air at the lack of oxygen! You know high up in the mountains when snow is at the edge of the road. Nice views Fred!

Your picture
    jtstdub and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Worth returning to this beautiful country. Caples Lake in background, flowering lupine and mule ears in foreground. It is still springtime above 8,000 ft.
    Red Lake as seen from "Three Quarters Summit", a false summit early pioneers named since it was a steep 3/4 of a mile of switchbacks above Red Lake. Wagons still needed to be dragged hundreds of feet higher to finally cross Sierra crest at Carson Pass. Molly's Nipple on skyline in far distance. Forestdale summit is about 6 miles exit stage right out of picture.
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57910c38...161209_011.jpg

Nice single track meanders through glaciated granitic slick rock overlooking expansive vistas.

Kirkwood ski resort in the background, wildflowers in foreground....objects in mirror may be happier than they appear.

Forestdale Summit looking into wilderness

Last edited by Fred; 07-21-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Further west the scenery is equally pleasing

admiral, Weebles, sponge and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I did encounter a nasty sticky burr referred to as Mountain Misery. In the past my dogs have been almost immobilized by hundreds of these caught in their fur and binding legs to body. Takes hours of cutting and pulling to remove these stickers. They seem to be found in a limited elevation range and are loose and troublesome only in mid-summer. I hate them! Hope I didn't bring any seeds home stuck to me or bike.

Other than that everything was wonderful

Last edited by Fred; 07-21-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    Weebles, joeband, RDW and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Worth returning to this beautiful country. Caples Lake in background, flowering lupine and mule ears in foreground. It is still springtime above 8,000 ft.
    Red Lake as seen from "Three Quarters Summit", a false summit early pioneers named since it was a steep 3/4 of a mile of switchbacks above Red Lake. Wagons still needed to be dragged hundreds of feet higher to finally cross Sierra crest at Carson Pass. Molly's Nipple on skyline in far distance. Forestdale summit is about 6 miles exit stage right out of picture.
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57910c38...161209_011.jpg

Nice single track meanders through glaciated granitic slick rock overlooking expansive vistas.

Kirkwood ski resort in the background, wildflowers in foreground....objects in mirror may be happier than they appear.

Forestdale Summit looking into wilderness

Nice pictures. Got your Tapatalk to work I see.

Unrelated question, does Tapatalk cost money to install on an iPhone or is it a free app?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links