Kind of a failed ride report
Close

Good afternoon all. I took advantage of the day off of work and the nice weather (finally) we had today to take my bike to Starved Rock, a round-trip of about 180 miles, mainly to see how well I do on a long ride on the TW since the farthest I've ridden it is probably 40 miles, give or take. Also, I plan to do some camping trips and they are going to be a bit of a ride, so I wanted to get used to it before I went for it.

So, I started getting the bike ready and checking her out around 6:00 this morning, and by just before 7:00, I was ready to take off.

Well, the ride there was a little bit of work. I took local roads and highways. The wind was working against me for most of the 90-mile ride down to Starved Rock. On the hills up, I was lucky to keep the poor TW at 50mph at full throttle, with people passing me the entire time. The wind and the gusts were just too much for the little bike. Also, the gusts wanted to just push me over all the time. Finally, a familiar landmark about 20 or so miles from the park, so I pulled off the road for a look see, and to take a break from all that dang wind.

Well, I finally made it to Starved rock just to find out that the only part of it open was the lodge. We've been getting a ton of rain, as many places have, so a lot of the roads and paths were under water. So, that's the reason for the lack of pictures. In fact, the pictures above are all I have for you guys since there's really nothing interesting between here and Starved Rock that I know of.

The ride home was pretty much uneventful. The wind was nowhere near as bad, though some gusts from the right side of me, but not as strong as the gusts I experienced on the way there. Stopped in Ottawa for brunch from the BK, and gassed up around the mid-point to head home.

Though the park was closed and I didn't get to do any fishing/hiking, I learned a lot about my TW. I learned it's mannerisms on a 55mph local highway and up and down hills in the wind. Learned that after 100 miles, that's when my bum starts to get sore and my back starts to get a little stiff. It's doable though.

Well, sorry for such a lame ride report, but it really was a good learning experience, and sure did allow me to know the bike very well.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

The only lame report is no report at all.

I second what Wayne said, nothing lame about this ride!

Kinda cute thought with the plane thing. Just a thought, but maybe the owners could update the sign to include the most recent crash in our economy...or add a second plane. Of course the size of the second plane might indicate how much the most recent crash compares to the earlier one.

Sorry, got off track there a bit, but found the photo of the plane kinda cool.

Well, despite the wind and wind gusts, you got out, and that's what counts. Better to have owned something and used it, than own it and not use it.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For a minute, I thought you found out what happened to "Sky-King and Penny". Oh well, just another ride report. I will have to say, THANKS. I am not much into asphalt, and all my dirt is 'muck' right now, and likely weeks to come. Rain, rain and more rain. Really appreciate your adventure. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Thanks guys. Mr. Gizmow, trust me, I would love to find some dirt or even a gravel road, but alas, I live in Chicagoland, and the closest thing we get to "off-road" around here is a dirty street. I'll be taking a 300-mile round trip camping trip in the next few weeks, heading towards Iowa, and taking all local highway, so maybe I'll get lucky and find some gravel or something. I would really love to use this bike for it's intended purpose. I tell you what though, with all the concrete around here, I wish I still had my cruiser. Oh well, once the TW is paid off, I'm going back to the Yamaha dealership to try to make a deal on another bike. The TW is a keeper though.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Sponosred Links