North Idaho Ride August 11-13
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: North Idaho Ride August 11-13

North Idaho Ride August 11-13

Rider Report can be found here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...ery-idaho.html

Open Invite 11, 12, 13 August. 14th will be travel day back home.

Planning on a few days of riding in the Avery, Idaho area.

11 August: Afternoon ride, route/location TBD. Will be arriving in the Avery area midday and setting up camp. An exact camp spot has not been decided yet as I have more research to find a camp spot. Hopefully, the free kind but will pay the 10-15 dollars for a Forest Service camp spot if I have to. If someone here has been riding or camping here before, fess up to some info like camp spots or don't miss places to see.

Main Ride days are 12 & 13 August.

12 August: 60 +- loop ride from Avery north to Wallace ID & return. Time permitting might go eat lunch in Wallace. Could add a tour of the old whore house. I've been on that tour before, it's ok but not for kids as suggested by the adult theme of the place. Lots of neat train tunnels & trestles on this route. Moon Pass rd. is mostly easy Forest Service road i.e. gravel. Not technical at all but very historical. Not sure about the return road as I've not been here before. Route direction is tentative as I've heard from a source to ride this reverse of what I've planned.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15304422

13 August: 91 mile +- loop ride from Avery south to Clarkia, ID & return. This route has some possible short hiking should we want to see some of the old logging history in the area. There are some old logging camps, Steam Donkeys, and even an old abandoned logging steam locomotive. Course the route mileage and time will determine if hiking is a good option.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15305588

Anyway, that's my basic plan. Only real thing I need to pin down at this point is a camping spot.

Updated 26 July.

Fuel & Food:
    Avery has fuel & grocery store (Scheffy's General Store & Motel).
    Wallace has lots of fuel & food places.
    Clarkia J & E Stop Bar & Grill, Sporting Goods, Gas

Camp: Without or until we know anyone else is coming, I'm prioritizing my camp location based on just Mrs. Admiral and myself. Info below is what I got from the St. Joe FS Site as I've not physically been here. Campgrounds 1-3 are basically dry camps (no hookups) from what I can tell.

1. Telichpah: Roughly 4.5 miles north of Avery off FS456. Not much room for RV's but can accommodate tents up to a Pickup Camper no larger. Cost is Free. Depending on available space, this is the one we will be at unless more people are coming.

2. Turner Flat: Roughly 9 miles east of Avery off St. Joe River road (FH50). Basically, stay on the same road you drive past Avery. Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is $6.00 per night. This is my second choice should more people come or Telichpah is full.

3. Tin Can Flat: Roughly 2 miles east of Turner Flat, 11 miles east of Avery on St. Joe River road (FH50). Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is Free. This is my third choice should the other campsites be full.

I'm not going to stay at any of the below but listed it for the benefit of others.

Cabins by Joe: An RV Campground (11 spaces & 4 cabins) in Avery across the river. (http://www.cabinsbythejoe.com/rv-park/). RV site cost is $25 & $28 with hookups. Cabins 1 & 2 cost $120 a night and cabins 3 & 4 $65 per night.

St. Joe River Retreat in Avery. At $160 per night, I'll just list the website: http://northidahoretreat.com/

Scheffy's General Store & Motel: http://www.scheffys.com/lodging.htm.
    Last edited by admiral; 08-29-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    Mel, elime, arbolmano and 4 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Neat plan Admiral. I worked out of Wallace for the highway dept. for awhile back when it had the only stop light on interstate. We were getting rid of that stoplight with a freeway by-pass.a40cfb2a82dde81baeabd016a2af3183.jpg
    I never visited the Oasis though, hear they had a fairly simple business plan with timers and color coded money boxes for the girls. BORDELLO_MUSEUM_srx_hx_08-02-2009_RJGLR4O.jpg
    While it was odd to see drunk silver miners stumbling out of the bars at 7 in the morning I tended to spend my free time doing more outdoor activities like fishing. Woods can be beautiful there.569f397d1d315a99b9079de3c4e6a3f7.jpg
    Need to check my calendar for August!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I would love to join you, but I am riding the Loose Screw in Kamloops that weekend.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The below info was added to post #1 but putting it here as well.

Updated 26 July.

Fuel & Food:
    Avery has fuel & grocery store (Scheffy's General Store & Motel).
    Wallace has lots of fuel & food places.
    Clarkia J & E Stop Bar & Grill, Sporting Goods, Gas

Camp: Without or until we know anyone else is coming, I'm prioritizing my camp location based on just Mrs. Admiral and myself. Info below is what I got from the St. Joe FS Site as I've not physically been here. Campgrounds 1-3 are basically dry camps (no hookups) from what I can tell.

1. Telichpah: Roughly 4.5 miles north of Avery off FS456. Not much room for RV's but can accommodate tents up to a Pickup Camper no larger. Cost is Free. Depending on available space, this is the one we will be at unless more people are coming.

2. Turner Flat: Roughly 9 miles east of Avery off St. Joe River road (FH50). Basically, stay on the same road you drive past Avery. Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is $6.00 per night. This is my second choice should more people come or Telichpah is full.

3. Tin Can Flat: Roughly 2 miles east of Turner Flat, 11 miles east of Avery on St. Joe River road (FH50). Can accommodate more of a group. Cost is Free. This is my third choice should the other campsites be full.

I'm not going to stay at any of the below but listed it for the benefit of others.

Cabins by Joe: An RV Campground (11 spaces & 4 cabins) in Avery across the river. (RV park | Cabins by the Joe). RV site cost is $25 & $28 with hookups. Cabins 1 & 2 cost $120 a night and cabins 3 & 4 $65 per night.

St. Joe River Retreat in Avery. At $160 per night, I'll just list the website: Rental cabin St Joe Avery Idaho lodging Fishing Hunting

Scheffy's General Store & Motel: Welcome to Scheffy's Motel & General Store.
    Last edited by admiral; 07-26-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    Fred, ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    As usual, Admiral has put in a significant amount of time and effort to create a fantastic plan. I commend you, sir. I am planning for a 6pm arrival on Thursday with my truck and trailer.

I like options 2 & 3 for camping. Those are on the river, have some larger room for trailers, and have some bigger areas for groups as you mentioned. Here is a thread from the last time I was out that way...https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...joe-river.html We were at Turner Flat campground.

I have never seen that ride with gps site before. It looks useful to create rides. I have one suggestion on the Wallace route...from Avery to Loop Creek Rd at about mile 9, there is an alt road/trail that follows on the opposite side of the river, I would recommend using it as Moon Pass road is like a dirt road highway. Several cars use Moon Pass, and it can be super dusty.

If looking for a ride after arrival on Thursday, I suggest just riding east out St. Joe Rd. then south 'til the pavement ends at Spruce Tree campground. It follows the river, and is just beautiful and fun. Pics from the above linked thread are of this ride. Of course there are many off-shoots to explore.

This area is fantastic with tons of roads and trails to explore. I wish I could spend weeks out there, so this looks very fun!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Tempting, but 800 miles each way kind of makes it a week for me. Anyone else going?
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    As usual, Admiral has put in a significant amount of time and effort to create a fantastic plan. I commend you, sir. I am planning for a 6pm arrival on Thursday with my truck and trailer.

I like options 2 & 3 for camping. Those are on the river, have some larger room for trailers, and have some bigger areas for groups as you mentioned. Here is a thread from the last time I was out that way...https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...joe-river.html We were at Turner Flat campground.

I have never seen that ride with gps site before. It looks useful to create rides. I have one suggestion on the Wallace route...from Avery to Loop Creek Rd at about mile 9, there is an alt road/trail that follows on the opposite side of the river, I would recommend using it as Moon Pass road is like a dirt road highway. Several cars use Moon Pass, and it can be super dusty.

If looking for a ride after arrival on Thursday, I suggest just riding east out St. Joe Rd. then south 'til the pavement ends at Spruce Tree campground. It follows the river, and is just beautiful and fun. Pics from the above linked thread are of this ride. Of course there are many off-shoots to explore.

This area is fantastic with tons of roads and trails to explore. I wish I could spend weeks out there, so this looks very fun!
    Glad you can make it, more to share the beauty in this part of Idaho.

The main reason I want to ride 456 from Avery to Wallace is for the tunnels, otherwise, I would normally avoid such a main road. I like your idea about the alternate. Scoping other folks rides and pictures in the area, if there is enough time I'd like to poke around up some of the side roads.

The worst part of this whole ride is it will be a tease. I can see there is tons of riding in the area and I won't want to leave. Reviewing your St. Joe River post, it only confirmed the tease factor!

I've used "RidewithGPS" on and off over several years. Some of the main features I like about it are: you can toggle between "follow the roads" mode when placing the waypoints, and drawing a line. Drawing a line lets you follow a trail or a road you know is there and shown on the map but the program doesn't recognize.

Another thing I like about it is you can place or mark your waypoints a lot farther apart and it will fill in the track from point a to b and so forths. Sort of like in Google Earth when you ask for directions from point a "here" to point b "there". Some other programs like basecamp, the track doesn't automatically follow the road and you have to place a bunch of track or waypoints on the route. In basecamp, if you place points a & b and the road has many turns, the track will draw a straight line from a to b.
    littletommy and goldenhtr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Tempting, but 800 miles each way kind of makes it a week for me. Anyone else going?
    Well, it looks like Wa Larry is coming. I have a strong "maybe" from one forum member who PM'd me about coming a couple days ago and Mrs. Admiral has received a maybe as well. How strong that maybe is I don't know. Since the member PM'd me instead of posting in here I will keep who it was confidential unless the member posts here.

Honestly, this is a long way for you to travel for just a couple days of planned group riding. I don't want to steer you away from coming, but I think it would be more worth your effort if this was a week-long ride like Moab.

I'd love for you to come but it is a long way to get up there!
    Last edited by admiral; 07-29-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.

I would have to say that if Fred and WA Larry were going to come, I might just have to ride over there to meet them. Maybe lunch and a jaunt through town, then head back. I would be on the V-Strom. I might be able to get Sue to come too.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I was probably the "maybe" Admiral posted about. I was able to make it work and will be there for this trip. I made non-refundable reservations at Sheffy's, so no backing out now. I will be there sometime in the afternoon or very early evening on the 11th and ride both days with everyone. I may stay an extra day as well, mostly to fly fish the St. Joe east of Avery, IF the weather is not too hot to stress the fish. Looking forward to the ride ALOT. Thanks to Admiral for putting this together and extending it to the forum.
    2013 (old stock bought new by me in 2015), 700 miles as of May 2016, 14/55 with DID o-ring at 50 miles, Cyclops 3800 LED, superbright.com tail/brake LED (1157-R45-T: 1157 Red), superbright.com turn signal indicator (BA9S-G4-32-12VAC: Green 32 Degree 12V), ebay bark busters, ebay wide footpegs, manracks with rotopax, 1 gal rotopax, plasti-dip on all plastics Oct 2015, ebay mirror extenders, 80% trail/20% road, ALL maintenance per manual, BY ME ONLY (more freq. oil changes, reusing orig. filter)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links